JG interview.

Was he just an automaton out there, the last few years? He stated “he’s better able to see where his protection is and where he is hot”. I didn’t watch the video a dozen of times like some of the crazy ‘defend this dude at all cost fans’, but maybe my eyeballs have decieved me watching JG play since he’s been here. I hope he’s a late bloomer and just starts to ‘get it’ this year.

He is a RS Jr. Reading Ds should be a + for him compared to most in the SEC. Now, the question still remains around here ... Does "reading the defense" still include the exclusive options #1Throw up a deep back shoulder fade #2 dump off to a back #3 Hope against hope to make 5 step drop w/o getting plastered ... all within the first .25 second before the DE, OLB, or safety leaves an orange stain in the grass?

None of this really matters until that Q is answered.

Reactions: TennMan101
May the best man play.

I'm not against JG turning things around.
Senior group of WRs. Veteran ...ish OL.
Let's see.

But I fully expect Brian Maurer to end the season as the starter and have an Freshman All-SEC type season

I do agree with we need (me included) need to stop the JG bashing.
If you think that highly of Brian Maurer, how do you feel about Harrison Bailey? I personally believe Bailey is going to be a much better QB! Jmo

I sure hope it is a lot different than last year, run on first and second down and then try for 3rd and long and a 5 yard pass. I don't think we will see the same type of offensive play calling.
CJC is a top 10 OC, Imo. I believe we will all be pleasantly surprised at how well our offense looks. We have a stable of skilled receivers, good RB's & TE's, all we need is a decent O-line. I do believe Morris and Wright both have the potential to step in as day 1 starters in the SEC. Especially Wanya, considering he was an EE. I think our offense is going to be fun to watch this year.Jmo

Reactions: Big Al Orange
So why than adamantly praise or defend a singular person/player? If the teams not doing their job, oh well, not the qbs fault (Sarcasm). JG needs to make something happen, when not scripted. He just hasn’t impressed man, flashes of light here and there, but that’s it.

Really?

If you think that highly of Brian Maurer, how do you feel about Harrison Bailey? I personally believe Bailey is going to be a much better QB! Jmo

Bailey is rated about where he should be.

Maurer improved a great deal between his JR and Senior year. His feel for the game (teammates abilities, defensive coverage, etc) increased a good deal. The way he plays, you feel like there is chance the offense can score. He put up damn good numbers with a pedestrian OLine. Minimal turnovers...

And since he's been on campus he's gotten stronger.

If Maurer and Bailey came in together this year...then who knows! But that's not the case.

He'll have a season of college football in the SEC on his side going into 2020. And I predict he will have started most of the games in 2019. I'm very very optimistic about Brian Maurer. Now maybe Maurer does everything I think, and Bailey comes anyway and STILL beats him out. We'll have to see.

Reactions: TennMan101
So you can provide proof that he WAS making all the protection calls and that he had control of the offense? Cool. Please provide it. I would love to see it.
If he indicated that he didn't have freedom to make line calls then he's now put the onus on himself. But ask yourself "why". Why wouldn't they let him make the line calls? Do you think they wouldn't want him to? Jones' staff tried to let him... and it didn't work out well.

I hope he improves. I really do. I expect fully under Chaney that he'll either flip or fly. But his words give merit to what some have speculated. Two staffs now have not trusted him to do certain things involving defensive reads.

Reactions: LittleVol
If he indicated that he didn't have freedom to make line calls then he's now put the onus on himself. But ask yourself "why". Why wouldn't they let him make the line calls? Do you think they wouldn't want him to? Jones' staff tried to let him... and it didn't work out well.

I hope he improves. I really do. I expect fully under Chaney that he'll either flip or fly. But his words give merit to what some have speculated. Two staffs now have not trusted him to do certain things involving defensive reads.
Obviously OC's have their own way of doing things, maybe Helton didn't want his QB making the calls and would rather that responsibility be left up to himself. I wouldn't think many OC's would relinquish control of the offense to a QB, unless he is Peyton Manning-ish. There aren't very many QB's "even Elite ones" that I would give full control to, if my job was dependent on it.

Reactions: k-town_king
Was he just an automaton out there, the last few years? He stated “he’s better able to see where his protection is and where he is hot”. I didn’t watch the video a dozen of times like some of the crazy ‘defend this dude at all cost fans’, but maybe my eyeballs have decieved me watching JG play since he’s been here. I hope he’s a late bloomer and just starts to ‘get it’ this year.
You do realize that most college QBs do not change the protections or make adjustments at all, right? Why do you think they go to the line, pretend they are going to snap the ball, then step back and look at the sidelines for the adjusted call. It isn't to look like a synchronized swimming team.

Hope that makes you feel better about yourself
Installing a ceiling fan on a 15' ceiling today made me feel better about myself when I didnt fall off the ladder.

Still a good interview from a not good QB though.

Obviously OC's have their own way of doing things, maybe Helton didn't want his QB making the calls and would rather that responsibility be left up to himself. I wouldn't think many OC's would relinquish control of the offense to a QB, unless he is Peyton Manning-ish. There aren't very many QB's "even Elite ones" that I would give full control to, if my job was dependent on it.
Doubtful since both staffs limited JG. It was a little more obvious when they moved from Dormady to JG. Before you pounce... go back and watch a "good" Dormady game and a "good" JG game.

One way or the other, I don't think that will work with Chaney. Chaney will demand he do the mental/O management stuff well or he'll start someone else.

Doubtful since both staffs limited JG. It was a little more obvious when they moved from Dormady to JG. Before you pounce... go back and watch a "good" Dormady game and a "good" JG game.

One way or the other, I don't think that will work with Chaney. Chaney will demand he do the mental/O management stuff well or he'll start someone else.

Sjt18 and Dormady sitting in a tree...K I S S I N G

seriously, I think you love him.

A "good Dormady game" doesn't exist my guy.

Helton was limited not JG. He was inexperienced. The same with Scott.

90% of college qbs don't call the protections.

You need some new material.

Dormady career stats:

100/176 56.8% and 1282 yards.
7.3 per attempt. 7 Td 6 Int rating of 124.3

Guarantano stats:

239/385 62.1% and 2904 yards.

7.5 per attempt 16 TD 5 Int rating of 136.6

JG = better YPA, better TD/INT ratio, better completion percentage and better passer rating. I could also mention the additional 1500+ yards he threw for while getting blasted on 1 step drops.

What stats are you looking at?

How many great Dormady games were there for a career 57% passer who can't crack a 125 rating?\ and sports a 1:1 TD/int ratio?

Dormady career stats:

Guarantano stats:

JG = better YPA, better TD/INT ratio, better completion percentage and better passer rating. I could also mention the additional 1500+ yards he threw for while getting blasted on 1 step drops.

How many great Dormady games were there for a career 57% passer who can't crack a 125 rating?\ and sports a 1:1 TD/int ratio?
Dormady was allowed to do more. Go back and watch.

You're better than to play k-town's ignorant stat game.

Wow this post is loaded with information backing your claim. YOU WIN!

So because Larry Scott the dodering fool of an OC we had let Dormady "do more" that makes QD better?

What did he do more of? Well he did throw more INT'S in about 200 less attempts.

Be sure to invite me to the wedding.

Last edited:

Still keeping up the same lies. You really need some new material.

Show one shred of evidence that QD ran things JG didn't once he became STARTER.

The numbers don't back that claim up.

Dormady career stats:

Guarantano stats:

Dormady did finish with a higher yards per carry average than the dual threat QB so there's that :).He gets the Dobbs award between the 2.

Anyone with half a brain(so like 7 people on this forum) knew JG wasn't duel threat. I argued that way back when we were recruiting him, he barely even ran in HS.

He ran for 251 yards and just shy over 2 ypc at Bergen Catholic.

Last edited:
Reactions: BigOrangeTrain

Why didn’t they let him or want him to make those calls? Nobody knows. Now if you want to say that Pruitt and the staff didn’t trust him, then why play him? They had a guy who was supposedly fully able to read defenses and make those calls. Yet he couldn’t win the starting job. I believe that the main reason that they didn’t let JG do those things is because both Pruitt and Helton were rookies.

In Pruitt’s second year all of a sudden JG will have full control. We now have a veteran OC who has been around high level QB play. Coincidence? Me thinks not.

VN Store

Back