BTO’s Auburn postgame report

Not that it cost us the game, bit I thought it was interesting that it was glossed over and not reviewed. I know basket interference is not reviewable, but I'm fairly certain they cam review to see if it was tipped in or not.

I think that the only thing that could be reviewed was whether or not the 3-point attempt was beyond the arc. They didn't call basket interference, nothing could be reversed.

Pearl is a big game coach. Barnes isn't.

Pearl is always looking for the edge. Something he can add, something he can emphasize to get a victory in the big games. He looks to be creative, looks to help his team get a few extra points.

I don't believe Barnes attacks games that way. He tries to prepare his teams the best he can in practice but during the game not much creativity flows from the coaches. They swap players in and out but they play based on what was "cooked in" in the practices.

Just don't see much offensive creativity from Barnes and staff. They are good enough to win a lot of games with their style and strategies but the big games often elude them. They don't have the extra spice for the big games.

The game at KY overwhelmed them. It shouldn't have with a veteran team.

They lost the game at Baton Rouge with LSU's Waters not playing. Inexplicable!

Barnes is a very good coach but not a great coach. He lacks the creativity and spice to excel in the big games.

Reactions: Catbone
The unlucky sequence that lost this game IMO with about 2 mins left:
- Grant blocks a shot on an AU drive, and it goes directly to Brown who hits a 3.
- Next position, we defend AU, Grant gets the rebound on the baseline, gets pushed OOB, no call, ball to AU, then hits another 3.
Exactly, a good play with bad break attached. It happens, just wish our D had been a touch better to save us today.

Pearl is always looking for the edge. Something he can add, something he can emphasize to get a victory in the big games. He looks to be creative, looks to help his team get a few extra points.

I don't believe Barnes attacks games that way. He tries to prepare his teams the best he can in practice but during the game not much creativity flows from the coaches. They swap players in and out but they play based on what was "cooked in" in the practices.

Just don't see much offensive creativity from Barnes and staff. They are good enough to win a lot of games with their style and strategies but the big games often elude them. They don't have the extra spice for the big games.

Barnes is a very good coach but not a great coach. He lacks the creativity and spice to excel in the big games.

Is that why they went from a preseason Top 10 team to not ranked?

So much nonsense in one post.

I disagree. This team had a chance at a championship and laid an egg. Today was flat out awful
Played their game. Turner was awful. Schofield was out of it most of the game. Alexander non existent. Late bone let turner run the point and that was a mistake.
Defense was awful and offense was stand around watch grant or stand around jack up a 3

Reactions: Volle

Lol, Pearl choked games before too

1. Sucks that we lost because back-to-back SEC Champions for the first time would have been pretty cool, but in the grand scheme of things this wasn’t a bad loss as it was a Q1 game and a quality team at their house on senior night, a lot was stacked against us. Now that doesn’t excuse our effort or say we couldn’t have won, definitely could’ve, but it’s also not going to be a game that hurts on selection Sunday.

2. After looking like maybe we had turned the corner defensively we laid an absolutely sticker against Auburn...the Tigers beat a good team by bombing away from deep and getting hot, and that’s exactly what we allowed them to do. They shot 34 of them and hit right at their 38% season average making 13 of them, why we allowed them to beat us at their own game I’m not really sure, but is bothersome. The 3pt defense hasn’t been good all year but seemed more by design, yet today the design seemed to allow them to shoot away from deep and hoped they missed, not a winning strategy imo.

3. Great to see Jordan Bowden have a good game as he had been cold of late, however Lamonte Turner is still ice cold and may have single handily cost us the game with his insisting on continuing to jack up shots even without a post touch...you can’t turn him into Pons and say never shoot, but he shouldn’t be taking heat check 3’s when the ball hasn’t gone inside one time, if he goes 0-6 on open lockout 3’s well so be it, but forcing 4-5 bad looks when he’s ice cold is borderline selfish, but I also know that is how he’s wired, take the good with bad I guess.

4. Somewhat related, our bread is buttered inside...GW was having his way with Auburn and we simply fell into trying to play their style, that’s not our strength and Auburn was more than happy to let us shoot 28 three balls. Auburn was pretty much playing GW straight up, he was scoring or drawing fouls almost every time he would get a FT line touch, yet we wanted to shoot 3’s...over simplistic but going forward we shouldn’t be taking 3’s off 0 or 1 pass, the ball should be moving and entering the post, again if that results in a clean 3pt attempt ok, but we aren’t Auburn nor should we try to be.

5. We went into their house on senior night, you saw how that worked out for Kentucky coming to Knoxville...they were emotional and amped up and I’m honestly surprised as well as they shot the 3 that the game was as close as it was and that we led for as much of it as we did. That’s a credit to our offense and rebounding in this game, but our defense was just not very good, if the guys regain focus as a result then really no harm done, but we are approaching the time of year when one game not focusing and your season is over, need to tighten things up.

GBO!!!
Great synopsis. Playing to Auburn’s game (when they simply shot their average 3 point %, not making adjustments, not pushing the ball more into Grant where we’re having good success. Conclusion: poorly coached game by Barnes.

All in all a very successful regular season. Of course beating Gonzaga and being #1 got our hopes high for maintaining it. But I think that just serves to show the potential of this team when they’re playing well and provides us some optimism. We have nearly a week off to regroup and work on putting all the pieces together

OM held Auburn to 55 @Au and 67 at home with their pesky little guards dogging Au's perimeter shooters. The great D we played the last 2 games had me thinking we were likely to harass them pretty hard on the perimeter, knowing that Au relies on the 3 game. But that's been our achilles much of the season. Our guards aren't quite as quick to guard that closely, but we are 15-3 so I'd rather be us than OM at 10-8. Every sec team has a weakness like most teams.

But this has been an incredibly fun year and I appreciate the enjoyment this team has provided. Looking forward to the tournament games with hope they can continue as far as possible. 27-4 (15-3) is an awfully good record for a team that was formed from a core of not highly rated recruits who gave it their all.

We shot WAY too many 3’s today. Especially Bone & Turner. They made some uncharacteristic bad decisions as far as shot selection goes imho.
Also, I cant fathom how our team (who plays inside out consistently) shoots fewer FTs than our opponents EVERY #¡%£¥! game!! Even a team that shot 35 threes and gets outrebounded by 12! It’s getting to be comical the last 7 or 8 games.

One has a Final Four, the other doesn't.

One has a top 5 team, the other went from preseason top 10 to unranked.

You get the picture. Both are good coaches. You don't have to rag Barnes to prop up Pearl.

I hate the fact that we lost to the 3 better teams in the conference in Kentucky, Auburn, and LSU. Not sure how good we actually are.

I hate the fact that we had to play 3 away games vs 1 home game against the 3 best teams in the league.

OM held Auburn to 55 @Au and 67 at home with their pesky little guards dogging Au's perimeter shooters. The great D we played the last 2 games had me thinking we were likely to harass them pretty hard on the perimeter, knowing that Au relies on the 3 game. But that's been our achilles much of the season. Our guards aren't quite as quick to guard that closely, but we are 15-3 so I'd rather be us than OM at 10-8. Every sec team has a weakness like most teams.

But this has been an incredibly fun year and I appreciate the enjoyment this team has provided. Looking forward to the tournament games with hope they can continue as far as possible. 27-4 (15-3) is an awfully good record for a team that was formed from a core of not highly rated recruits who gave it their all.

Exactly. We fans have no control over how this team plays. We're along for the ride. We might find our defense and make a deep run, but we might not. Either way it's been a fun year and I've enjoyed this team. I'm pulling for them, but that's all I can do. This team has a lot of experience. They know how they've played in the past and what drives their success. If they choose to play that way, they'll go far. If not, they'll face an early exit. It's obvious and as simple as that. Nothing earth shaking about it. It really is up to the players. Coaches and fans can only do so much. I'm not losing any sleep over it. They'll play the way they play.

The no call on basket interference resulting in a late 3-pointer was huge. Refs missed 2 calls on the same play. Basket interference AND since it was touched it should have been a 2 point tip in.
Refs are pretty much garbage. I think we've seen enough this season to make that determination. Hopefully he'll get some different ones in the tourney

Reactions: FlVols

Waters' replacement scored 29. Not likely Waters himself would have had that many. The Kentucky game's flow was disrupted by officials who didn't call a defensive foul the first 17 minutes, even though the game was one of the most physical of the year. Yes, that can make a huge difference.

So, Barnes has told you they go into games and only use specific plans formulated beforehand? Tennessee never makes any adjustments?

Remember that Sweet 16 game vs. the Greg Oden tOSU squad (2008? 2009?) when UT had a 20 point lead and blew it? I'd call that choking away a big game.
To this day I believe the refs got orders at halftime to make sure there star oden didn’t get outed in the sweet sixteen, he was this years zion... the difference in reffing between the first and second half of that game were night and day!! The first half they let the teams run and play without lots of whistles to slow the game down which was to our smaller, quicker teams advantage. The second half the refs called a foul every 5 seconds and never let us play our style, instead slowed it down to a half court game which greatly favored Ohio state... you will never convince me the ncaa didn’t make that happen.

Thanks for the report BTO. Didn’t get to watch this one because it was an incredible day in Colorado with 10 inches of fresh snow overnight. Checked the score at halftime and thought things were looking good.

I guess I picked a good day for the only game I’ll miss all season.

VN Store

Back