Game Thread: Lady Vols vs Miss St : ,, SEC tournament - Round II

Miss St and SCAR are using this strategy quite effectively. A grad transfer like Howard could help the LVs next year. Wish we'd pick up one or two.
Holly picked up a Grad transfer and she was injured in like the second practice would've helped the team quite a bit. I know she would not be as good as Howard but she was close ot a double double player her last season at Washington State. To add if Howard would've come here doubt she would've played as well under Holly.
I wonder who he goes after next season loses four seniors that have been the biggest part of the team.

We don't need to protect from injury. We don't have stars and we are down. If I was a coach, unless it's a rival I'm taking my players out.

Anriel almost got injured on that last play and while I would never wish for that on anyone, it would be fitting for someone to hold their finger on the trigger too long and it backfires.
There's a good chance that Tennessee is going to the NCAAT, and I'm sure they wouldn't want to lose Davis or Westbrook to an injury trying to cut the margin down on an unwinnable game. It works both ways.

The protocol is that the losing team waves the white flag and pulls their stars from the court, and the winning team follows suit. I've noticed that Holly is too busy keeping her stars on the court chomping for the opposing bench to come in so they can press non stop and try to get the margin of victory down to a "respectable" level. She did it vs. Baylor a few years back when they were about to hand Tennessee their biggest loss ever at home, and she did it against SC in the SECT last year...just two examples of what I'm sure have been many.

Reactions: Undercovervol
Ace - how can this be? At this point in the season, how can a team be less conditioned?
I don't think it is conditioning. I think it is quicker players at the perimeter positions. Over half the teams we played had quicker players than our All Americans.

With the exception of McKeown, I do not believe that the MS "players" are better athletes than the LV's. The difference is that the MS players know where to be, work together, and have passion for defense. The reason there is a difference is because Shaffer coaches MS and Holly coaches the LV's. Both coaches took over their programs 7 years ago. Shaffer took over a .500 program and Holly took over one the the premier programs the NCAA. Hmmmmm......
Howard is a 5'11 power forward with some serious hopes. Danberry is faster than anyone on the court. Schaefer is a really good coach, but he's got some pretty good players this season. This is probably his most talented squad ever, and that's without Chloe Bibby.

I disagree. We have good players who are poorly coached.
I have not seen anyone mention this, but often turnovers are a result of conditioning. State’s physical condition was so much better than us. Hard to defend and compete when other team is better conditioned.
The turnover party started in the 1st minute of the game! That had nothing to do with confitioning! We can run and jump all day conditioning is not the problem! Passing, ball handling and b-ball IQ is the problem! Oh and Coach relies on her players to make her look good too much! So that’s like bringing a knife to a gun fight!

I don't think it is conditioning. I think it is quicker players at the perimeter positions. Over half the teams we played had quicker players than our All Americans.

I think we are a poorly conditioned team. As season progressed teams we played got quicker

I will say, I love Anriel Howard and I think she is an amazing player. I do not think she should have been allowed to transfer within conference, even as a grad transfer. You look at their season and her transfer totally changed the SEC this year. MSST is nowhere close to this good without her. She should have been made to go to another conference or sit out a season. I think it sets a bad precedent and makes the league unfair.

I believe we will see more of this next couple of years. One of them might be Rennia if she doesn't transfer before then, sounds like she will graduate early. I do not think they should be able to transfer as grad transfers within the conference without sitting out. Transfer to another conference and play immediately or transfer within conference and take a year off. Nothing stop the best players from under performing teams all transferring to the hot team of the moment, just like Anriel did.
I actually kind of like kids being able to transfer and play immediate elsewhere regardless of the conference. I like it because then they stay within their original class & graduate at the time they would have, if they are really talented (Top 20 or so) they don't mess up incoming recruiting for a team by having to sit a year and join the new group where you may see kids drop a team from their list because now they fear they will play behind this kid, and they don't mess up the WNBA draft making it imbalanced in years where there is a lot of transferring and sitting out.

I actually wish they would go as far as letting kids transfer between semesters and play immediately else where. Get your degree and get the hell on with it. No reason to take up all this extra money and time if you aren't injured. If you've already graduated or just want to leave to find a place where you think it will better serve you I think that's fair. I actually think it's more unfair to make a grad transfer sit a year. You're basically punishing them for choosing to get a Master Degree somewhere else. Sometimes they may not even have the Masters program that the kid wants at the school they are at.

The turnover party started in the 1st minute of the game! That had nothing to do with confitioning! We can run and jump all day conditioning is not the problem! Passing, ball handling and b-ball IQ is the problem! Oh and Coach relies on her players to make her look good too much! So that’s like bringing a knife to a gun fight!

I agree, we are poorly coached in fundamentals and poorly conditioned. Fulmer needs to clean house

I will say, I love Anriel Howard and I think she is an amazing player. I do not think she should have been allowed to transfer within conference, even as a grad transfer. You look at their season and her transfer totally changed the SEC this year. MSST is nowhere close to this good without her. She should have been made to go to another conference or sit out a season. I think it sets a bad precedent and makes the league unfair.

I believe we will see more of this next couple of years. One of them might be Rennia if she doesn't transfer before then, sounds like she will graduate early. I do not think they should be able to transfer as grad transfers within the conference without sitting out. Transfer to another conference and play immediately or transfer within conference and take a year off. Nothing stop the best players from under performing teams all transferring to the hot team of the moment, just like Anriel did.
I don't know how that would work with graduate students. If she was doing a 1 year degree at Tennessee, she will have completed her degree during the year she sat out, which doesn't make sense when someone like Danni Williams can go play immediately at Texas and graduate after 1 year as well. Gary Blair could have stopped her, but if he's ok with it...

I don't think we can attract any top level transfers, especially not from other SEC teams. They are too familiar with the situation and don't want to play for Holly. That's why we had no shot at Danni Williams or Anriel last season and ended up with someone like Lou Brown instead. Nobody in their right mind who has seen/heard Holly from the sidelines would want to play for her. Plus players within the league are often friendly, they know what's going on behind closed doors where we do not.
Which makes it mind boggling how she is still getting top recruits like Jordan Horston. Maybe she just likes a challenge. An insurmountable one, but a challenge nonetheless.

Miss St is a better team and was always going to be a bad matchup. TOs killed us or we could have kept it closer. But it was the 8 seed playing the 1 seed and the 8 seed lost. SCAR lost to Miss St by 15 this year, and they're the 2 seed and a host seed in the NCAAT.

It would have been better for UT to have gotten a lower seed and not had to play the 1 seed. The 8 and 9 seeds had the hardest path. It has been another disappointing year, but making the NCAAT is good for the program. Wanting the LVs to miss out is counterproductive. It won't get Holly fired any faster.

VN Store

Back