The Golf Thread

It is hard to get used to, but keeping the stick in does help (allowed until the 50’s) The drop from the knees is just stupid. They were going to allow you to drop from just inches originally.

Thank goodness the OB rule isn’t used on tour. They should ban the “greens books” as well.
I get using the stick from 20 feet, but there's no way I'm doing it inside that.

I get using the stick from 20 feet, but there's no way I'm doing it inside that.
Honest.......once you get used to it, you’ll never go back. There are some really good studies about it. Pelz did one 30 odd yrs ago.

There's enough flex in the stick to take away a lot of momentum. Greatly reduces the ball bouncing out on the hole on a put that was perfectly aligned but hit too hard

Honest.......once you get used to it, you’ll never go back. There are some really good studies about it. Pelz did one 30 odd yrs ago.
I don't see how it could hurt you, but it looks dumb for pros to leave it in. I have been leaving it in if I'm playing by myself for a few years now, since I have gotten older. It saves walking up to the hole to take it out if I'm very far away. I'm talking about maybe 25 feet or further out. I'm not holing that anyway.

The drop should be anywhere from shoulder height to to the knees if nothing else to keep someone from getting a penalty for something stupid which is why I thought they made some of the changes they did to begin with. Like GA said placing the ball would be fine too.

Reactions: peaygolf
The drop should be anywhere from shoulder height to to the knees if nothing else to keep someone from getting a penalty for something stupid which is why I thought they made some of the changes they did to begin with. Like GA said placing the ball would be fine too.
Sometimes, a drop from too low, like the knee, will make a ball go to the bottom in deep rough, where it might bounce up a little from shoulder height, and give a better lie.

There's a bunch of studies that show it helps
I have no doubt that you're right.... but yesterday I had an uphill 6 footer and made a point of leaving the stick in. The SOB glanced off the stick and stayed out.

I just can't do it.

I have no doubt that you're right.... but yesterday I had an uphill 6 footer and made a point of leaving the stick in. The SOB glanced off the stick and stayed out.

I just can't do it.
It must have been traveling at a pretty good clip to bounce off.

It must have been traveling at a pretty good clip to bounce off.
Lol... Sounds like the crap I was getting from my playing partners. It was a straight 6 footer. There wasn't much speed to worry about. The pace was fine and it was just barely left of center. It would've gone in 10/10 times without the flag. Nobody could believe it didn't go in.

The worst part was the fact that before the putt, I literally said "OK... I'm going to try the leave the flag in BS."

Sad day for Golf............Great writer!

RIP Dan Jenkins

The legendary golf writer has passed away at 89.

The tributes are, as expected, pouring in. Here’s a bit from Tom Callahan’s remembrance for Golf Digest.
  • “Dan always rooted for the best stories, which usually meant the best players (the real reason he loved Hogan might have been that Ben once saved him from having to write about Masters runner-up Skee Riegel), though some of golf’s journeymen, the ones with wit and perspicacity, like Ed Sneed, became trusted sources. Dave Marr, a PGA champion but not an all-time great, was Dan’s No. 1 draft choice for dinner.”
  • “…Tiger Woods didn’t want to know Jenkins. “We have nothing to gain,” agent Mark Steinberg said, the dumbest thing any agent ever said. During the 2006 Open Championship at Hoylake, Woods’ second-most-amazing tour de force, coach Hank Haney was staying at the Golf Digest house. Every night, after hitting balls post-round, Tiger dropped Haney off and never came in. Perhaps just that squandered opportunity of a beer with Jenkins, or at least the astonishing cluelessness it represented, was the real first cough by Ali MacGraw in “Love Story” (as it preceded Tiger’s come-from-ahead loss to Y.E. Yang in the 2009 PGA). At Woods’ peak, Jenkins wrote, “Only two things can stop him: injury or a bad marriage.” Birdie, and birdie.”
Smart assesment of Tiger!

Reactions: 1972 Grad
Sad day for Golf............Great writer!

RIP Dan Jenkins

The legendary golf writer has passed away at 89.

The tributes are, as expected, pouring in. Here’s a bit from Tom Callahan’s remembrance for Golf Digest.
  • “Dan always rooted for the best stories, which usually meant the best players (the real reason he loved Hogan might have been that Ben once saved him from having to write about Masters runner-up Skee Riegel), though some of golf’s journeymen, the ones with wit and perspicacity, like Ed Sneed, became trusted sources. Dave Marr, a PGA champion but not an all-time great, was Dan’s No. 1 draft choice for dinner.”
  • “…Tiger Woods didn’t want to know Jenkins. “We have nothing to gain,” agent Mark Steinberg said, the dumbest thing any agent ever said. During the 2006 Open Championship at Hoylake, Woods’ second-most-amazing tour de force, coach Hank Haney was staying at the Golf Digest house. Every night, after hitting balls post-round, Tiger dropped Haney off and never came in. Perhaps just that squandered opportunity of a beer with Jenkins, or at least the astonishing cluelessness it represented, was the real first cough by Ali MacGraw in “Love Story” (as it preceded Tiger’s come-from-ahead loss to Y.E. Yang in the 2009 PGA). At Woods’ peak, Jenkins wrote, “Only two things can stop him: injury or a bad marriage.” Birdie, and birdie.”
Smart assesment of Tiger!
RIP. He was a good one.

I'm 48. Played since i was 7. I HAVE ZERO.....

Witnessed 25
I have played for 55 years, and never had one either, and have only witnessed one. I told the story before that I made one on a provisional, but found my original ball, so it was completely wasted. I made a bogey on the hole when I finally found my ball.

I have played for 55 years, and never had one either, and have only witnessed one. I told the story before that I made one on a provisional, but found my original ball, so it was completely wasted. I made a bogey on the hole when I finally found my ball.
I "liked" your post, only because there isn't an "I sorry" button to click.:(

Reactions: 1972 Grad
I "liked" your post, only because there isn't an "I sorry" button to click.:(
I have to admit that it's a little disappointing to flush a 5 iron uphill into a 20 mph right to left and against wind (when you normally draw the ball anyway), have it go in the hole, and it doesn't count for anything.

I stop at 10 (not that I get there often but every once in awhile)
When I used to play a lot, I was somewhere in the 70's, 95% of the time. One day I started with a bogey on the 1st hole, and made a 10 on the 2nd hole ( I had trouble with carrying a lake with my 2nd shot), which is a par 4. So, now I'm 7 over after 2 holes. When I was younger, I would have turned that into an 85 or worse. I didn't get mad, and wound up with a 78 for the day. That was one of most satisfying days on the golf course. I kept my emotions under control, and took it one shot at a time.

When I used to play a lot, I was somewhere in the 70's, 95% of the time. One day I started with a bogey on the 1st hole, and made a 10 on the 2nd hole ( I had trouble with carrying a lake with my 2nd shot), which is a par 4. So, now I'm 7 over after 2 holes. When I was younger, I would have turned that into an 85 or worse. I didn't get mad, and wound up with a 78 for the day. That was one of most satisfying days on the golf course. I kept my emotions under control, and took it one shot at a time.
I usually have about 1 implosion per 9 holes.

VN Store

Back