Game Thread: LADY VOLS VS. LSU

I doubt they will, but she should be in the hot seat. Not getting top recruits is no excuse. Pokey Chapman had things rolling there before the big scandal. Nikki did such a nice job at UCLA in the few years she was there, but she hasn't done a thing at LSU.

She just need a few players 6-5 so Faustine Aifuwa will be a handful next year plus they have a 6-6 player from CN she is hurt out for the season. They the SEC will need to deal with that size next year.

Another nailbiter. And this is one of the reasons the committee wants the LVs in the NCAAT. Close games are exciting to watch and keep people watching till the end. No matter who they play, there's always a chance the LVs will go on a run and make it a game. Vic Shaefer might feel confident, but he knows the LVs could get energized and show up to play.
I think the LadyVols will lose by 20-25 points to Miss State and wind up in the WNIT. The bad beating will keep the committee from inviting the LadyVols to the NCAA Tournament.

Reactions: feathersax
I’d say there’s a better shot she’s in a seat on the bench in Knoxville as an assistant than at LSU

I hope not, UT has got to get some new blood in there. Hiring from within the Lady Vol family, unless it's Kara Lawson, is a mistake in my opinion. I feel like the style of play Pat taught is outdated. Pat will always be the greatest of all time IMO, and yes, better than Geno due to her contributions to the game alone. But the way she coached basketball was really just "play hard on defense and make layups" which is a good start, but that isn't gonna cut it these days.

She just need a few players 6-5 so Faustine Aifuwa will be a handful next year plus they have a 6-6 player from CN she is hurt out for the season. They the SEC will need to deal with that size next year.

She's had plenty of great players and the results have been the same. I gave her the benefit of the doubt a few seasons ago because they were having a ton of injury issues for a couple of seasons. She just isn't getting it done though. Her best player from last year, Chloe Jackson, opted to transfer. That's never a good sign for a coach.

Reactions: WVU05UT09
I think they're in now regardless of the score tomorrow.

I agree, they're in now for certain, if they play a tight game with MSST they might move up a seed or two even if they lose. Get blown out tomorrow and they'll be an 11 seed.

If the clouds part, the hand of God reaches down, and instills some wisdom from Pat into the players over night. They could lose their minds, forget everything Holly taught them and beat MSST we could potentially be a 5 or 6 seed.

But I think divine intervention is probably too much to ask for.

Reactions: casetopia
I hope not, UT has got to get some new blood in there. Hiring from within the Lady Vol family, unless it's Kara Lawson, is a mistake in my opinion. I feel like the style of play Pat taught is outdated. Pat will always be the greatest of all time IMO, and yes, better than Geno due to her contributions to the game alone. But the way she coached basketball was really just "play hard on defense and make layups" which is a good start, but that isn't gonna cut it these days.
Kyra Elzy,the Kentucky associate head coach, is a very qualified candidate

Unless a lot of league champion mid major teams lose the tournament championship Tennessee will be an 11th or 12th seed in the NCAA. We could be out depending on the mid majors tournaments. Everyone that wins will be in and some of the league champions will be in because of their record. Of course if we beat MIss St were in so if we can find five different players by tomorrow we could do that.

Reactions: LA Vol
I think the LadyVols will lose by 20-25 points to Miss State and wind up in the WNIT. The bad beating will keep the committee from inviting the LadyVols to the NCAA Tournament.

I think the only way they don't make it in is if there is major upheaval in the conference championships and they have to give at-large bids to mid-majors who were upset in their conference tournament. There are a half-dozen teams that could impact the LVs. Odds are, the LVs are in. Miss St is a Top 10 RPI team. It wouldn't be a bad loss. But the LVs could certainly help themselves by playing competitively.

Edit: I see Volfan2012 just made this point. I concur. I checked and Miss St is #8 RPI.

Reactions: Tennesseefan2019
Unless a lot of league champion mid major teams lose the tournament championship Tennessee will be an 11th or 12th seed in the NCAA. We could be out depending on the mid majors tournaments. Everyone that wins will be in and some of the league champions will be in because of their record. Of course if we beat MIss St were in so if we can find five different players by tomorrow we could do that.

I'm not as sold on that theory as Mr. Creme is. Our RPI will likely still be better than a mid-major with a good record if they drop a game to any of the teams in their conference during the conference tourney. Only scenario I see that could cause problems is the Summit League Championship with both South Dakota and South Dakota State in that league. I think there are other teams that will affect before us though. I do believe this win safely puts us in the tournament.

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
Ok, I have a serious question about recruiting. Do Holly and staff just go after any 4 or 5 star, regardless of if they fit into team needs? Do they also evaluate heart and grit? It just seems like they go for "stars" and expect the rest to work itself out!

In fairness, Evina and Rennia did step up and do what was needed offensively to beat a so so team.

I just so wish they were capable of doing it at least semi-consistently. Those two have obvious raw talent just begging to be smoothed out. Instead of peanut butter and jelly, we got spinach and broccoli. We KNOW their good for us but man can they be hard to take sometimes.

Woo Hoo big W! Go Holly! We are in! North East Central South Dakota State watch out here we come!

Reactions: VolBall09
I agree, they're in now for certain, if they play a tight game with MSST they might move up a seed or two even if they lose. Get blown out tomorrow and they'll be an 11 seed.

If the clouds part, the hand of God reaches down, and instills some wisdom from Pat into the players over night. They could lose their minds, forget everything Holly taught them and beat MSST we could potentially be a 5 or 6 seed.

But I think divine intervention is probably too much to ask for.

Looking at this team play today if we had a post player that could send back shots or make players alter there shot, This team would have won a lot more games. LSU got a lot of there point in the lane today.

Looking at this team play today if we had a post player that could send back shots or make players alter there shot, This team would have won a lot more games. LSU got a lot of there point in the lane today.

Been an issue all season. We need a rim protector in a bad way. Both Kasi and Cheridene are soft, they foul but allow the offensive player to finish.

If you're already out of position and you know you're going to foul, you better make them think twice about coming back in there again. Just use your body and put someone on their butt, not saying play dirty, but you've got to foul well enough they can't finish the bucket. Make them earn it at the stripe.

Guarantee you the next time they catch and turn around and see you they'll pass it back out.

In fairness to the post players, if Westbrook and Davis played the way they did the second half this team would have won a lot more games. Especially at the same time. Unfortunately, most of the time one or both play the way they did the first half.

You're right about the posts also. Cher tries her best but just not enough. T. McCowan licking her chops as we speak.

Speaking of MSU, ya'll see Shaffer at halftime? You know when someone has a new favorite word and they drop it in constantly? Vic's is coachspeak term "piece" as in the mental piece, the defensive piece, the chemistry piece. Gonna tear us to piece tomorrow I'm afraid.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back