Zion

Where do you think they should be? Excluding the UNC game which probably shouldn't factor, since Zion got hurt they are 3-1 with a road loss to the current #15 team. They beat Syracuse by double digits and throttled Miami. How far should a team fall for losing to good teams without the best player in the country (who will be back soon)? Wake doesn't factor because the new polls haven't come out. They dropped from #1 to #4, so I don't know why everybody is so upset. Gonzaga being #1 is what irks me. They beat one good team (caught the Duke freshmen early) all year and play in a **** conference.
Agree about the Gonzaga ranking. Yes, they played a tough early season schedule but since then they can coast in that garbage conference.

To be fair, I think your defense of Duke is showing your bias. They shouldn't get a pass on losing just because Zion is hurt. Good teams find ways to overcome injury. When the tournament comes around, if by some chance Zion is still hurt, do we just crown them National Champs, because, boo hoo, their star player is hurt? The idea of excusing losses because a star player is injured is just ridiculous. Injuries are part of the game. All teams play through them. Duke shouldn't get a pass.
They didn’t get a Pass. Stop the lunacy. They dropped. Why is everyone pretending they’re still number one?

What does the NCAAT selection committee consider? Have they ever said specifically?
I know the point of switching from RPI to this new BPI computer ranking was designed to streamline it. It’s a mix one way or the other.

They have more losses, but they've also played a tougher schedule. You know how in football SEC fans will trot out "ain't played nobody"? The ACC does that in basketball. Their tougher schedule is also why they have more quality wins, but then again, they've won those games.

Tennessee only has what I'd call 2 really good wins - Gonzaga and Kentucky. Rightly or wrongly, the Gonzaga win can lose value over time because of recency bias. Duke has beaten Kentucky (season opener), Texas Tech (late December), FSU, and Virginia twice. They do have more losses than Tennessee, but I'd only say one of those wasn't a good loss (Syracuse).
ACC basketball is to SEC Football as ACC football is to SEC basketball.

I’m just wondering that if the Vols lose in the tournament how Duke somehow will be somewhat responsible in the eyes of some on here and the idiot beat writers that cover Tennessee and always make stupid comments about Duke.

“Why did Duke get the 7:15 tip off and we got the 9:40?” “If you look at the 3rd possession of the after 16 timeout clearly Barrett pushed off and Admiral was later called for the foul just like it.”

This or something in this capacity will happen. I guarantee it.

I had no idea how many Vol fans had such disdain for Duke until these season. My guess is 75% don’t really know why, just think they’re supposed to.

I had no idea how many Vol fans had such disdain for Duke until these season. My guess is 75% don’t really know why, just think they’re supposed to.

Everybody hates Duke (which is part of why I'm drawn to them).

Reactions: RDU VOL#14
They didn’t get a Pass. Stop the lunacy. They dropped. Why is everyone pretending they’re still number one?
Do you feel Duke and UT have been treated equally by the pollsters? I don't. Sure, they dropped from number one. UT dropped from number one when we lost to KY. But it seems like our loss to a highly ranked KY team hurt us far more than Duke's loss to a ranked VT team. Sure seems like they're getting a pass for Zion's injury. I'm not sure how seeing what's right in front of my face is lunacy. Another team would have fallen further.

I’m just wondering that if the Vols lose in the tournament how Duke somehow will be somewhat responsible in the eyes of some on here and the idiot beat writers that cover Tennessee and always make stupid comments about Duke.

“Why did Duke get the 7:15 tip off and we got the 9:40?” “If you look at the 3rd possession of the after 16 timeout clearly Barrett pushed off and Admiral was later called for the foul just like it.”

This or something in this capacity will happen. I guarantee it.

For me: It's the d-bags who are Tennessee football fans but Duke/UNC/etc basketball fans. Now I'm fine with duel fandom (ie a school you graduated from etc, but am completely against just the whoever was/is good thing)

Do you feel Duke and UT have been treated equally by the pollsters? I don't. Sure, they dropped from number one. UT dropped from number one when we lost to KY. But it seems like our loss to a highly ranked KY team hurt us far more than Duke's loss to a ranked VT team. Sure seems like they're getting a pass for Zion's injury. I'm not sure how seeing what's right in front of my face is lunacy. Another team would have fallen further.
Do you feel that Tennessee has proven as much as Duke? If you do, I’m going to laugh at you. What’s Tennessee’s record against the top 25? What is Duke’s?

Duke is 4-2 against the top ten teams alone.

Edit: Tennessee doesn’t even have that many top 25 matchups

Do you feel that Tennessee has proven as much as Duke? If you do, I’m going to laugh at you. What’s Tennessee’s record against the top 25? What is Duke’s?
Laugh if you want. I'm laughing at your Duke homerism. It's clear to see that Zion's injury has clearly been a consideration in their ranking. Not sure how you can deny that. I see that as a pass.

Laugh if you want. I'm laughing at your Duke homerism. It's clear to see that Zion's injury has clearly been a consideration in their ranking. Not sure how you can deny that. I see that as a pass.
Answer the questions or just stop.

Last edited:
Answer the questions or just stop.
UT is 2-3 if you factor in Kansas. Doesn't Kansas have a star player hurt too? Shouldn't they also be getting the benefit of the doubt, or does that only apply to Duke?

Here's one for you, how did our play against Wake Forest compare to Duke's play against Wake Forest?

UT is 2-3 if you factor in Kansas. Doesn't Kansas have a star player hurt too? Shouldn't they also be getting the benefit of the doubt, or does that only apply to Duke?

Here's one for you, how did our play against Wake Forest compare to Duke's play against Wake Forest?
Lol transitive property. So cute.

As cute as your defense of Duke, I guess. Keep on homering though.
So you seriously want to pretend that 2-3 against the top 25 matches up to 4-2 against the top ten alone? If Tennessee gets to count Kansas, Duke gets Aubie right?

This isn’t homerism, this is logic.

So you seriously want to pretend that 2-3 against the top 25 matches up to 4-2 against the top ten alone? If Tennessee gets to count Kansas, Duke gets Aubie right?

Still haven't answered how we fared against common opponents. There's been several, if I'm not mistaken.

Still haven't answered how we fared against common opponents. There's been several, if I'm not mistaken.
I did answer. If you want to apply the transitive property, I’m laughing harder. You’ve got no argument Weeze and you’re grasping. This is stupid. Since you won’t answer my original question, I’m out. This is beyond ridiculous. Feel free to call it homerism, but this is nothing more than blind jealousy and basketball idiocy by the fan base, you in particular. I’m out

If Zion cannot return, for whatever reason, where should Duke be ranked? You have to know they're not the same team without him. Thinking his injury should count as some kind of waiver is not logic. Not even close. It's pure homerism.

I did answer. If you want to apply the transitive property, I’m laughing harder. You’ve got no argument Weeze and you’re grasping. This is stupid. Since you won’t answer my original question, I’m out. This is beyond ridiculous. Feel free to call it homerism, but this is nothing more than blind jealousy and basketball idiocy by the fan base, you in particular. I’m out
What original question? I answered the one you asked. If you need to duck out because your argument holds no merit, I get it. Nice throwing insults. It's normally what happens when one finds themselves losing the argument.

Reactions: UT_Dutchman
Blind jealousy? I'm laughing my ass off. You're the one who feels the need to defend Duke on a Tennessee MB. Duke is getting preferential treatment. A blind man can see it. Only a true Duke homer would defend it.

What original question? I answered the one you asked. If you need to duck out because your argument holds no merit, I get it. Nice throwing insults. It's normally what happens when one finds themselves losing the argument.
Since you can’t read, I’ll play nice. Do you truly think Tennessee’s body of work compares to Duke’s?

You can’t assume a double play and you can’t assume a day to day player isn’t coming back, when all reports are that he is. That’s the dumbest logic posted in this debate yet (although your answer to the question might trump it)

Of course it will hurt more. Tennessee got throttled from the start. It's not a good look for a #1 team to have such a disparity. Had UT lost by 1-5 points, they would have dropped 1-2 spots.

When you look at rankings from the start of the season, the top 10 teams have dropped 1-4 spots after a loss, with the exception of Kentucky, who dropped 8 after one.

Blind jealousy? I'm laughing my ass off. You're the one who feels the need to defend Duke on a Tennessee MB. Duke is getting preferential treatment. A blind man can see it. Only a true Duke homer would defend it.
I’m a college b-ball fan. I’m not going to ridicule any team just because I don’t like them. Too bad your jealousy and hate prevents the same.

Since you can’t read, I’ll play nice. Do you truly think Tennessee’s body of work compares to Duke’s?

You can’t assume a double play and you can’t assume a day to day player isn’t coming back, when all reports are that he is. That’s the dumbest logic posted in this debate yet (although your answer to the question might trump it)
So you believe Duke deserves the benefit of the doubt? That had they had Zion they would have won? If that's the case, where do we stop? Should any team with an injured player get that same benefit? Maybe we should check and see if any UT players had the flu at LSU? If so, I guess that loss shouldn't count, right? That's where your logic is leading.

As for body of work, yes, I think Tennessee has a body of work that compares to Duke. Would I give Duke the edge on body of work? Yes. But who has the better record?

VN Store

Back