Vacation / Travel

I haven't went through the whole thread, but I'll possibly be looking at a honeymoon in Italy. Anyone have any suggestions or tips if we decide this? Anything helps!
There is talk of Italy in the thread, but to sum things up its a great place to visit and easy to get around as many of the cities are walkable. Then very easy to commute from one city to the next by train. When my husband and I went, we only packed a backpack each as it made getting around very easily and forced you to pack minimally. Keep valuables close, some areas are worse than others for wallets, etc to easily be taken.

There is talk of Italy in the thread, but to sum things up its a great place to visit and easy to get around as many of the cities are walkable. Then very easy to commute from one city to the next by train. When my husband and I went, we only packed a backpack each as it made getting around very easily and forced you to pack minimally. Keep valuables close, some areas are worse than others for wallets, etc to easily be taken.
Yup, Drive a car to Rome or Florence, and you might get a huge bill from the rental company. Cars have to be licensed to drive to some cities. Rome has horrible drivers . If ur American I'd forget driving there. Also Cario and Istanbul. Both are worse.9

Reactions: B-Stizzy
We did 16 nights in Italy a couple of years ago. 4 in Rome -> 4 in Florence -> 4 in Varenna (Lake Como) -> 4 in Venice. Trip of a lifetime. Took trains and walked everywhere. Our trips outside of Florence into Tuscany, visiting Sienna, Monteriggioni, and San Gimignano, are what we daydream of the most. I still ask my wife when we're going back. Next time I'd start in Milan or Florence and work our way down. Would like to see Cinque Terra, Rome for a couple of nights again, Amalfi Coast, and the southern part of the country.

For our 10 year anniversary, we did Italy. Direct flight to Rome from ATL, 5 days there (it is an outdoor museum so spend as much time there as possible), then train to Florence/Chianti region, bus to Cinqueterra (this was the highlight of the trip and a MUST do), then train to Venice (only need 2 days). Direct flight back to ATL. It was a great trip.

What about Cabo San Lucas? Any opinions? The wife and I are looking through resorts there.

My wife and i are going down in April for the first time. Staying at the Grand Fiesta Americana. I have never been to mexico so not sure what to expect. From what I’ve read, it sounds like one of the safer popular mexico destinations.

My wife and i are going down in April for the first time. Staying at the Grand Fiesta Americana. I have never been to mexico so not sure what to expect. From what I’ve read, it sounds like one of the safer popular mexico destinations.

I recommend a sunset sailing cruise and a visit to Divorce/Lovers Beach.

Neither have I. My wife went as a child. Her parents actually recommended it to us. Seems like it could be a good option for us. Safe, a new place with plenty to see but also with resorts to be lazy, and it’s in the desert so sounds like less risk for mosquitoes, from what I’ve read.

Reactions: VOLNPA
Neither have I. My wife went as a child. Her parents actually recommended it to us. Seems like it could be a good option for us. Safe, a new place with plenty to see but also with resorts to be lazy, and it’s in the desert so sounds like less risk for mosquitoes, from what I’ve read.

It is a very cool town. Lots of nightlife. Definitely take the boats out to divorce beach, they pick you up on the main beach - they drive right up on the sand. Be advised - the surf is extreme and many times you cannot swim.

Awesome. Thanx! Crater Lake is definitely on the list. We had family do Rainier in June a few years back and they said traffic was unbearable...like 4 hours to get into the park. We may try it on a weekday but aren't yet 100%

Make sure to visit Wizard island and a stay at the lodge is also quite the treat.

Reactions: VOLNPA
You might look into Bermuda.

I think this might be where we end up going. Can fly there pretty fast. Looks beautiful. No Zika virus.

Looking at Pompano Beach Club vs The Reefs. Anyone know how the food is in Bermuda? The wife and I love to eat delicious food when we travel.

We had a great cruise over Spring break on the Norwegian Epic. Thanks to travel points, we stayed in the Haven suites, which really ups the ante on cruising: private pool and sundeck, 24/7 butler, private restaurant/bar/beach club, and priority boarding and disembarking. Stops in Tortola and St Thomas were beautiful, although much of Tortola is still in shambles. We visited a beach on the North side of the island and snorkled a wreck just 40 yards off the shore.

The only hangup was that our day in the Bahamas on their private island was cancelled due to wind/waves. Apparently, that happens fairly frequently, as boarding the tenders in impossible in rough seas. It would definitely keep me from booking another trip that included a private island stop unless there was a dock.

Just looks really cool have always wanted to check it out and there are a lot of ex pats living there...scouting for a possible retirement locale.
Those air fares are steep. But it is pretty far away.
We looked at Malta for retirement. You can also retire t o France or Spain without spending a bundle.

Anyone ever rent an RV? Looking at getting one for a week in mid July, but most prices have been 250 or so a day plus a mileage fee. Want to go at least to Mt. Rushmore which is about 1200 miles, and at .35 a mile it adds up quick.

Anyone ever rent an RV? Looking at getting one for a week in mid July, but most prices have been 250 or so a day plus a mileage fee. Want to go at least to Mt. Rushmore which is about 1200 miles, and at .35 a mile it adds up quick.
I would add The Crazy Horse monument to that trip. The high plains are different. Nothing like TN. But interesting and beautiful.
Where are you? If TN you will be spending your week on the road.

VN Store

Back