'20 TN OL Cooper Mays (UT SIGNEE)

Tennessee lost Cade during one of the worst times in our football history. I was disappointed that he did not consider Pruitt, but I thought the mental process was understandable. He took a hard turn from one commitment to another and just did not want any more second guessing about it. I never brooded about the melodrama and would welcome Cooper if he and our coaches develop good relationships, which they very well might.

Last edited:
Reactions: tbones0711
Your the VR2 guy? I like your site man.

I am. I appreciate that. It is not something that I do for a living. However, sports journalism has always been one of my dreams and I have been blessed financially to be able to pursue this for a while on the side. So, I strive to keep things as professional as possible and get to have some fun doing so.

I am. I appreciate that. It is not something that I do for a living. However, sports journalism has always been one of my dreams and I have been blessed financially to be able to pursue this for a while on the side. So, I strive to keep things as professional as possible and get to have some fun doing so.
That’s something I’d love to do as well. Keep it up and have fun. You are now also an insider, so bring us the goods!

No, I understand what you mean, While I was there Cooper told the offensive line coach that he was at 277 currently. I think he could add another 15 and still be pretty agile. He also mentioned that he could play on the defensive line. If he stays around the 280lb I think that he would be an ideal defensive end. I think that is why Tennessee is pushing hard for him right now. Much like the Fulmer days, Pruitt is not afraid to bring guys in and move them into another position.

Trying not to sounds creepy, but how does Cooper look physically? I.e. can he put 20 lbs of good weight on his frame and still be fleet of foot? Think he's talented but a little concerned he's undersized.

No, I understand what you mean, While I was there Cooper told the offensive line coach that he was at 277 currently. I think he could add another 15 and still be pretty agile. He also mentioned that he could play on the defensive line. If he stays around the 280lb I think that he would be an ideal defensive end. I think that is why Tennessee is pushing hard for him right now. Much like the Fulmer days, Pruitt is not afraid to bring guys in and move them into another position.

Reactions: Volator
He was an all-state defensive lineman last year, wasn't he? I know he was all-state on the O-line, but I'm pretty sure he won Defensive Lineman of the Year in his region or something like that

Caught Up with Cooper today at Knoxville Catholic. He talks recruitment, timeframe, Tennessee's message, and more here
2020 Tennessee Legacy Cooper Mays Updates Recruitment, Talks Vols and More
Superb article.This is the first article that I have read where he indicates that he prefers defense to offense.How good is he on that side of the ball ? Anyone that has seen him play please comment ….this is intriguing to me and may be why Pruitt is going after him so hard since he is a light weight OL right now at 277 #.

I'm still trying to figure out why a 3 star is getting so much discussion this early. Shouldn't that be reserved for the intrigue of potentially landing a difference maker that can dominate a game. As someone else has stated, only at Volnation can recruits be made to sound like the next can't miss All-Pro. The kid is not even one of the Top 10 instate players next year at this time.

Reactions: BucksnortVol
I'm still trying to figure out why a 3 star is getting so much discussion this early. Shouldn't that be reserved for the intrigue of potentially landing a difference maker that can dominate a game. As someone else has stated, only at Volnation can recruits be made to sound like the next can't miss All-Pro. The kid is not even one of the Top 10 instate players next year at this time.
Check your facts

Bless him Lord.

Well, first of all, he's a four-star.

Reactions: SweetasSoda
He was an all-state defensive lineman last year, wasn't he? I know he was all-state on the O-line, but I'm pretty sure he won Defensive Lineman of the Year in his region or something like that
He was All-State OL and won Defensive lineman of the year for the region. Pretty impressive playing both ways at one of the higher levels in Tennessee.

Superb article.This is the first article that I have read where he indicates that he prefers defense to offense.How good is he on that side of the ball ? Anyone that has seen him play please comment ….this is intriguing to me and may be why Pruitt is going after him so hard since he is a light weight OL right now at 277 #.

He won DL of the year for his region last season. Had a solid season. 92 tackles with 13 for loss and 6 sacks. Also, all-state on the OL. I think versatility is one of the main things causing Tennessee to push. He’s up 20+ since his sophomore season ended and has only improved his game. A lot of upside for him

Would love to see him stay at home and get in Tucker's ear too. Would be huge for UT IMO.

VN Store

Back