Game Thread: LADY VOLS VS. VANDERBILT

Something I've noticed is the lack of ball pressure at the pg position. Teams are able to get in and run their offense without any resistance. Is Westbrook, or any pg on Tennessee capable of pestering the opposition?

Reactions: stlvolsfan
in the presser one of the players said "we have to play Tennessee basketball" ..

THAT is the problem .... obviously these players don't have a clue how to play "Tennessee basketball" and they have a coach that doesn't have a clue how to teach them.

Warlick deserves an ass whoopin for doing this to Pat's program.

When I said that I wish that Vady win us, and someone quickly insulted me.. and I smile without responding. This is the problem, lots of ppl seem to attack u when u say negative things about holly & fulmer, but that's the truth. While some dosen't see the truth at all and still think that holly could win.

lol we lost to 1-13 Vandy at home for the first time ever and on senior night to boot.
boy you couldn't make this stuff up if you tried. I will miss holly most for the way she always kept
me laughing.

How about all the records she set?
She just set the record for first win in Knoxville for a Vandy team, but she has MANY more!!!

Reactions: cutiepie5
The LVs program resembles a smoking house structure, after a horrendous fire has completely destroyed it.....

Reactions: cutiepie5
I wonder what Abby Conklin is saying now about the Holly "haters"?

You would think that someone who had Pat Summitt for a leader — the strong, healthy, competent, demanding, disciplinarian Pat Summitt — and Holly for a “follower,” would better understand how vitally important it is to have a coach that everyone may not have to like all the time, but they darn well need to RESPECT AND TRUST her ALL the time.

Helen Keller could have seen that our players have ZERO respect for Holly, and zero trust that whatever comes out of her mouth is going to be helpful in any way whatsoever. She embarrasses herself by thinking that merely saying, “We gotta get stops,” or “we gotta get some buckets” is coaching.

And this is why she needs to step down ASAP. The program’s steering wheel is broken, and until someone replaces it, the Tennessee Lady Vols are going to continue on this path that goes nowhere fast.

Please, Holly. Do the right thing. The players need you to let them go!

You would think that someone who had Pat Summitt for a leader — the strong, healthy, competent, demanding, disciplinarian Pat Summitt — and Holly for a “follower,” would better understand how vitally important it is to have a coach that everyone may not have to like all the time, but they darn well need to RESPECT AND TRUST her ALL the time.

Helen Keller could have seen that our players have ZERO respect for Holly, and zero trust that whatever comes out of her mouth is going to be helpful in any way whatsoever. She embarrasses herself by thinking that merely saying, “We gotta get stops,” or “we gotta get some buckets” is coaching.

And this is why she needs to step down ASAP. The program’s steering wheel is broken, and until someone replaces it, the Tennessee Lady Vols are going to continue on this path that goes nowhere fast.

Please, Holly. Do the right thing. The players need you to let them go!

I agree with you to an extent. I will say that sometimes she may speak this way because of the cameras . My thought is that maybe when they aren't around she says more instructional things, that could be a stretch but you get what I'm saying? What really stuck with me in her "Wired" games vs others and I will use Alabama (Sorry, I know this is a sore subject but really is the best and most comparable example to use) if you go back and watch the game vs Bama and the "Wired" coaches segments for Bama Coach Curry she said similar things to what Holly said but in much more detail. That's true instruction.

You have to trigger reminders for these kids if you are going to keep saying it's their youth that's the issue. Remind them what they learned in practice or what you've talk about in shoot around that day. That's what you're there for as a coach. They (the players) are there to execute but you can't be mad at them for not executing when you've literally told them nothing of use in the time out. Curry didn't treat the kids like they were stupid but she said specific things like. "Your hands should be up. Remember you're out there washing windows." Then she would literally do the hand motions of where their hands should be. She would also tell them specifically what they were doing wrong on offense and defense and quickly follow it up with exactly what they were doing right. She made direct eye contact and said everything calmly.

Her kids knew who was in charge and what they were suppose to be doing. Furthermore for all the talk about youth Alabama won by what 20 and they are the 11th youngest team in WCBB and far less talented than Tennessee.

1. SMU - 19.0
UMBC - 19.0
3. Oklahoma - 19.1
Georgia Tech - 19.1
5. Wichita State - 19.2
6. Northern Kentucky - 19.3
7. Georgia Southern - 19.33
Old Dominion - 19.33
9. Florida State - 19.4
10. Duke - 19.43
11. Alabama - 19.46
12. FAU - 19.5

My point is the staff as a whole has got to give these players a chance to win the clear, concise instruction. Stop thinking the talent and a vague game plan is going to work. Every broadcast you hear well this or that was a point of emphasis from the announcers and then they come out (and generally from the jump and) give up that very thing. So was it a point of emphasis or not and when they aren't doing it what happens? Apparently not a damn thing. That is frustrating as hell to watch. Clearly they are lost out there who's job is it to help them?

I haven't posted in a few months but the writing is now clear: Warlick needs to move on. I went back and forth for a few years because no one is Pat and won't be anytime soon. Holly seems like a good person. She loves the LVs and will always be part of the family but it's time.

If players transfer that's understandable. If recruits don't enroll that's understandable. If people don't like it, again understandable. But it is time.

I agree with you to an extent. I will say that sometimes she may speak this way because of the cameras . My thought is that maybe when they aren't around she says more instructional things, that could be a stretch but you get what I'm saying? What really stuck with me in her "Wired" games vs others and I will use Alabama (Sorry, I know this is a sore subject but really is the best and most comparable example to use) if you go back and watch the game vs Bama and the "Wired" coaches segments for Bama Coach Curry she said similar things to what Holly said but in much more detail. That's true instruction.

You have to trigger reminders for these kids if you are going to keep saying it's their youth that's the issue. Remind them what they learned in practice or what you've talk about in shoot around that day. That's what you're there for as a coach. They (the players) are there to execute but you can't be mad at them for not executing when you've literally told them nothing of use in the time out. Curry didn't treat the kids like they were stupid but she said specific things like. "Your hands should be up. Remember you're out there washing windows." Then she would literally do the hand motions of where their hands should be. She would also tell them specifically what they were doing wrong on offense and defense and quickly follow it up with exactly what they were doing right. She made direct eye contact and said everything calmly.

Her kids knew who was in charge and what they were suppose to be doing. Furthermore for all the talk about youth Alabama won by what 20 and they are the 11th youngest team in WCBB and far less talented than Tennessee.

1. SMU - 19.0
UMBC - 19.0
3. Oklahoma - 19.1
Georgia Tech - 19.1
5. Wichita State - 19.2
Old Dominion - 19.33
9. Florida State - 19.4
10. Duke - 19.43
11. Alabama - 19.46
12. FAU - 19.5

My point is the staff as a whole has got to give these players a chance to win the clear, concise instruction. Stop thinking the talent and a vague game plan is going to work. Every broadcast you hear well this or that was a point of emphasis from the announcers and then they come out (and generally from the jump and) give up that very thing. So was it a point of emphasis or not and when they aren't doing it what happens? Apparently not a damn thing. That is frustrating as hell to watch. Clearly they are lost out there who's job is it to help them?

You make a good point. I agree with what Kara and Andy Landers on this. you can`t keep playing players who are not getting the job done That`s what Holly has always done now she will be out of a Job.

A sign in my old 1940s high school gym. You know, the bread box with a cage around it for the spectators. "A team can't be beat, that won't be beat."

Reactions: Tennesseefan2019

1. SMU - 19.0
UMBC - 19.0
3. Oklahoma - 19.1
Georgia Tech - 19.1
5. Wichita State - 19.2
Old Dominion - 19.33
9. Florida State - 19.4
10. Duke - 19.43
11. Alabama - 19.46
12. FAU - 19.5

Thank you. That’s EXACTLY what I mean. One gets the uncomfortable impression that Holly simply isn’t very bright. And hey, the world needs all kinds of people to function properly. Everyone has a strength. Holly’s strength is having a tender heart. Her brain? Not so much going on there. She’s no even smart enough to understand that she is the problem.

A sign in my old 1940s high school gym. You know, the bread box with a cage around it for the spectators. "A team can't be beat, that won't be beat."

That sign should have read “A well-coached team can’t be beat, that won’t be beat.”

IMO, regardless of how much heart and spirit a group of players has, if the other team wants to win just as much as they do, but they have a phenomenal coach who has taught them how to play the game at a high level and how to maintain focus, and my team has, in essence, no coach at all.... well, I’m sorry, but that well-coached team is going to win.

You make a good point. I agree with what Kara and Andy Landers on this. you can`t keep playing players who are not getting the job done That`s what Holly has always done now she will be out of a Job.
Think Rae could have helped stop the juggernaut Vandy layup machine? After playing very well in last game, played 9 minutes last night.

Thank you. That’s EXACTLY what I mean. One gets the uncomfortable impression that Holly simply isn’t very bright. And hey, the world needs all kinds of people to function properly. Everyone has a strength. Holly’s strength is having a tender heart. Her brain? Not so much going on there. She’s no even smart enough to understand that she is the problem.
Or too egotistical to admit she's the problem

Holly makes Andy Landers look like Geno Auriemma

Reactions: TenUhSee
The problem starts with Holly, but it's systemic. The players admit they're not giving consistent effort and were "lackadaisical" last night, even with the stakes sky high. Why aren't the assistant coaches helping? It should be all hands on deck and a lot of them seem to be below deck napping. There's no sense of urgency from anyone, from the AD-down. Who's trying to fix the problem? Apparently, nobody.

They should hire Andy Landers....He would stick his foot up their asses...And that's what some of the players need(Besides a Head Coach). when Andy was on the sidelines he always gave off the vibe of being a mean angry man. I couldn't stand his ass....But listening to him as an analyst made me realize that the emotion he showed on the sideline was just his passion for the game....Andy holds his players accountable.

VN Store

Back