The Official Duke/UNC 2018/19 Basketball Thread!!!

The tread is worn relatively low in several spots, and there's a decent amount of scuff marks and fraying of the stitching. Just because they don't look like he mows the yard in them, doesn't mean they aren't past their life in terms of usage.

5c6eb17e262898203a76ea07-1536-768.jpg

After looking up the treads on a new pair of PG2.5s there is significant wear on these shoes.

BQ8452_401_P6
He’s apparently worn the same shoes all year. I didn’t wear the same shoes all year in middle school or high school. Too much wear and tear

Y’all better hope Zion comes back because RJ Barrett hero ball is hard to watch

Y’all better hope Zion comes back because RJ Barrett hero ball is hard to watch
The rest of the team looked totally lost and uninspired without Zion, which is interesting because all of them are very talented, highly recruited guys. Perhaps the shock of losing him that early in a big game was too much for them, and they'll be better knowing that he might not play in future games, but they certainly didn't get off the mat at all against UNC. They've heard non-stop about Zion all year just like we have.

Duke’s big 3 are really good, but they’re overly reliant on those 3. They’re not deep. They have limited post presence and don’t don’t have another reliable scoring option for when any of the big 3 are out or off.

Reddish is a great prospect but he's not one of their top 3 in terms of contributing to winning. Bolden is their 3rd best player rn

Reddish will be a better NBA player than RJ. Barrett will be an inefficient chunker. Dion Waiters

Reddish will be a better NBA player than RJ. Barrett will be an inefficient chunker. Dion Waiters

LOL, Barrett is shooting a mediocre TS% of .537 and Reddish is a pathetic .507

Reddish doesn't rebound (barely better than Tre Jones), and he averages more turnovers and more fouls than assists (he gets more turnovers than Zion and Barrett, who score and assist more). He does get a lot of steals, so there is that. He's not very good.

I would guess that Reddish will be the best 3 point shooter of the bunch, but he has by far the least complete game out of the 3.

LOL, Barrett is shooting a mediocre TS% of .537 and Reddish is a pathetic .507

Reddish doesn't rebound (barely better than Tre Jones), and he averages more turnovers and more fouls than assists (he gets more turnovers than Zion and Barrett, who score and assist more). He does get a lot of steals, so there is that. He's not very good.

I would guess that Reddish will be the best 3 point shooter of the bunch, but he has by far the least complete game out of the 3.
Probably significantly less shots than Barrett. Im not about to argue with you, just here to tell you Barrett isn’t very good either

Reddish is a great prospect but he's not one of their top 3 in terms of contributing to winning. Bolden is their 3rd best player rn
Duke is definitely shallower than I thought, and they weren't an immensely deep team to begin with. Reddish and Barrett admitted they were "shocked" when Zion got hurt. That's an interesting statement to make because Reddish and Barrett were elite recruits themselves, but it's like they were helpless when Zion went down.

Jones is their second best player. As much as I don't like Barrett, he's better than Bolden, O'Connell, White and DeLaurier. Reddish is also better than those four. Reddish is streaky great, but Bolden is streaky awful, and only good otherwise.

Duke is definitely shallower than I thought, and they weren't an immensely deep team to begin with. Reddish and Barrett admitted they were "shocked" when Zion got hurt. That's an interesting statement to make because Reddish and Barrett were elite recruits themselves, but it's like they were helpless when Zion went down.
The fact that White and O'Connell have lost ALL ability to shoot is going to seriously hurt the team. White is a great on ball defender. If he gets his stroke back, it would vastly help Duke. Unlike most one and done wonders, this Duke team learned to play as a team. Just like they had to learn to adjust without Jones, they'll have to learn to adjust without Zion. And no one is better at teaching that than K.

Jones is their second best player. As much as I don't like Barrett, he's better than Bolden, O'Connell, White and DeLaurier. Reddish is also better than those four. Reddish is streaky great, but Bolden is streaky awful, and only good otherwise.

Jones is ass at scoring. He's the least efficient of all of them, and that's saying something. 26% from 3. He's a great passer, though. Bolden shoots very efficiently, and you don't need him to score, he does the dirty work. You can't just have 4 finesse guys out there with Zion all the time. You gotta have another dog, and Bolden is that guy, now more important than ever, and Delaurier is going to get a chance to prove he can do what he's been doing while getting more significant minutes.

Jones is ass at scoring. He's the least efficient of all of them, and that's saying something. 26% from 3. He's a great passer, though. Bolden shoots very efficiently, and you don't need him to score, he does the dirty work. You can't just have 4 finesse guys out there with Zion all the time. You gotta have another dog, and Bolden is that guy, now more important than ever, and Delaurier is going to get a chance to prove he can do what he's been doing while getting more significant minutes.
There's no part of this offense built for Jones to be a scorer. He manages the offense. As for Bolden and DeLaurier, you're just throwing words out to make up for the fact that they aren't on the same stratosphere as Zion, Barrett, Jones or Reddish.

There's no part of this offense built for Jones to be a scorer. He manages the offense. As for Bolden and DeLaurier, you're just throwing words out to make up for the fact that they aren't on the same stratosphere as Zion, Barrett, Jones or Reddish.

I'm not saying score 20, I'm saying make the shots you do take. He is terrible in that regard. It's not the offense's fault that Zion is outshooting him from 3. That's pathetic. He's 67% from the FT line. Jones can't shoot.

They won at (ranked) FSU without Zion. They’re obviously worse without him, but Wednesday was one game, and one game where they went 2/25 or whatever from 3. Duke will be fine IMO

They won at (ranked) FSU without Zion. They’re obviously worse without him, but Wednesday was one game, and one game where they went 2/25 or whatever from 3. Duke will be fine IMO
Zion also played 17 minutes in that game, and it was FSU. Easier to manage. This was a hyped game against their biggest rival and Zion missed basically the entire game.

I agree that Duke will be fine, just thought the rest of the team would have responded better in that spot.

For Duke to be successful Bolden just needs to be like Zoubek from 2010. Rebound, block or influence shots, create extra possessions on tap outs and try not to get lost on ball screens. DeLaurier showed up the other night , but that’s more the exception than the rule. He’s soft and a walking foul. Jack White has missed 25 straight 3’s! 25! He can’t guard anyone, he hustles, but has zero confidence..O’Connell is streaky but turns it over a lot. Basically the role players aren’t producing and just start watching RJ, Reddish and Zion and then RJ and Cam just gun. The best thing about Zion is his efficiency . His +/- is incredible.

as always, Huff ignores the point. I'm done.

What point did I ignore? My point was he's inefficient and your response doesn't change how i feel about that in this convo. Who cares if the offense isn't built for him, we're talking about value to the team. Your excuse doesn't factor. If we're talking about him as a prospect, it's a fair point.

He’s apparently worn the same shoes all year. I didn’t wear the same shoes all year in middle school or high school. Too much wear and tear
This isn’t true. He’s worn at least five different pair over the season

VN Store

Back