Could Guarantano surprise us? (Merged)

I was trying to come up with something......anything.......first thing that came to mind......

I know, you have to dig down into your stoopits to be in this argument. I know what that says about me, but do you? :)

This is some bs..Name one wide receiver on this roster who put up numbers in 2018? Brandon as a sophomore led the team and catches and yards but he never gets credit..News flash Brandon is the second biggest wide reciever on the team..He is at 203 pounds..Brandon is only 20 years old..This new staff has already taking notice..Dont sleep on Brandon this year..
Brandon got credit from plenty of us when he was a sophomore and played pretty well. I know I praised him and was expecting him to be one of our top WR targets last year, but he just played poorly and wound up seeing his playing time drop significantly. He got a lot of criticism (deservedly so) last year as a junior when he dropped a lot of balls. It’s beyond evident that he’s not one of the 3 best WRs on the roster and has been recruited over. Perhaps he’ll rebound and have a decent season out of the slot and can be a good possession receiver in 2019, but we’re all sound asleep over here to be honest.

Data can be misleading. JG clearly is nothing close to an elite Quarterback.

We aren't even in the top 50 of the NCAA rankings for passing offense, total offense, 3rd down conversion percentage, First downs.

JG's success on 3rd down should be attributed to good coaching and play calling. There's a reason Helton immediately got a head coaching job after a 5-7 season: he made something out of nothing.
Lol. JG was the 4th most efficient qb in the SEC last year, right behind Tua, Locke and the kid from OleMiss. He was also, despite a horrific OL in front of him, the most efficient SEC qb on 3rd down....with no running game. But sure, it was all Helton, who was very likely gonna be fired had he not taken a pay cut to go to OVC team Western Ky.

Been saying it from day one....JG ain’t great, ain’t perfect, but he was much improved last year despite incredibly difficult circumstances....he was much better than all you guys constantly say he was. Tennessee can win a lot of games with that kid at QB if the team can get better around him. It was the PASSING GAME that was the most efficient aspect of the team last year....not the pathetic running game and not the below average defense...the passing game boys.

And I’m already giggling my arse off thinking about you guys this summer and fall when JG is the starter again. Lol.

For many years it has been talked about that a QB will hear footsteps that aren’t there after they have been killed because of poor o-line play. They rush the ball and make bad decisions. JG seems to hear nothing. He is willing to stand in there and take a beating. Not sure if it’s a good or bad thing that he has no fear of a pass rush but give him the same time most SEC QBs get and he will shine. People can say it is a straw man argument but I haven’t seen another QB in the league that produced the numbers JG did with a line as bad as he had to play behind. He is a passing QB. That requires a good line and good run game to be productive in the SEC.

View attachment 194463
  • Tennessee lines up with 3 receivers out wide and the tight end lined up as a receiver inside the hash.

• Florida is anticipating a long pass on 3rd and long and lines up in 2 deep man coverage (nickel). This is a designed screen by Tennessee (To Tim Jordan). The call is decent because the Florida DBs and LBs will be bailing out and defending the sticks.
View attachment 194467

• Tim Jordan runs a weak ass route and JG throws a terrible pass right to the defensive lineman that is spying JG. Wood-Anderson ****s up blocking assignment.
We've also got an ineligible receiver blocking downfield. lol

Reactions: Vol_Lord_1990
We were actually 38th in offensive efficiency.
38th in passing
36th in ypa
44th in qbr

If you are looking at total numbers, then you're focusing on the wrong thing, because we were near the bottom of the nation in tempo.

What you just posted proves that JG is trash, keep blaming other players for JG not producing on the field.

You will see this year that JG is nothing more than a game manager (Our coach sees it too that is why he built up our defense with recruiting).

Stop blowing smoke out of your ass about how "good" our QB is. Yea, he was good enough to win 5 games and miss a bowl.

Last edited:
Reactions: jacvols and cbatey1
For many years it has been talked about that a QB will hear footsteps that aren’t there after they have been killed because of poor o-line play. They rush the ball and make bad decisions. JG seems to hear nothing. He is willing to stand in there and take a beating. Not sure if it’s a good or bad thing that he has no fear of a pass rush but give him the same time most SEC QBs get and he will shine. People can say it is a straw man argument but I haven’t seen another QB in the league that produced the numbers JG did with a line as bad as he had to play behind. He is a passing QB. That requires a good line and good run game to be productive in the SEC.

I haven't seen another QB stand there and get drilled like a clueless moron

He is an absolutely pitiful QB. He's a dual threat that can not read a defense, run, or pass deep effectively. What aspect of his game makes him good?

Dobbs didn't have an O-line OR A QUARTERBACK COACH and PRODUCED. Stop making excuses.

JG gets his ass wiped daily by his QB coach/ OC and can't even make basic reads.

Last edited:
Probably has a bit to do with this:
jgattempts.png

And the fact that he was prone to dump passes to his check-down man at or behind the LOS, or take a sack rather than throw the ball down field

Wow a person with a brain

You missed where's already good. What else is middle of the sec YPA and QBR? Top-40 nationally in ypa, 44th in qbr. Good, not great, not bad. Did all that vs #2 SOS and sub-100 OL. Already a better qbr than every year of Dobbs, except his senior year.
DobbsGoat.png
You're a homer. Just stop. You look stupid as **** at this point.

Last edited:
Reactions: cbatey1
I haven't seen another QB stand there and get drilled like a clueless moron

He is an absolutely pitiful QB. He's a dual threat that can not read a defense, run, or pass deep effectively. What aspect of his game makes him good?

Dobbs didn't have an O-line OR A QUARTERBACK COACH and PRODUCED. Stop making excuses.

JG gets his ass wiped daily by his QB coach/ OC and can't even make basic reads.
You need to chill out.

The pitiful thing is some ignorant wanna be coach being wrong about everything he says and using it to bash the quarterback of the team he is pretending to be a fan of.

Talk about clueless.

View attachment 194893
You're a homer. Just stop. You look stupid as **** at this point.
So in 2015 Dobbs had 100 more passing attempts but only 3 more tds? Dobbs also had a lower completion percentage and passer rating.

Dobbs was great. JG is a much better passer at the same point in their careers.

Dobbs a much better runner no question.

Reactions: Devo182
You need to chill out.

The pitiful thing is some ignorant wanna be coach being wrong about everything he says and using it to bash the quarterback of the team he is pretending to be a fan of.

Talk about clueless.
He isn't wrong. I could say so much but your pretty boring so i'll save it.

Reactions: Vol_Lord_1990
He isn't wrong. I could say so much but your pretty boring so i'll save it.
"You're" wrong and boring. Just like all the other JG bashers.

All the numbers tell the true story. We can debate those all day.

Those of you in your feelings hate the qb of the team you claim to be a fan of for some reason.

Pretty sad.

You need to chill out.

Talk about clueless.

Tell us more about the Elite Jarrett Guarantano and his 12 total TD in 2018.

He can't even make basic reads and he has been in a college football program for 3 years now.

You're so dumb it hurts.

Last edited:
"You're" wrong and boring. Just like all the other JG bashers.

All the numbers tell the true story. We can debate those all day.

Those of you in your feelings hate the qb of the team you claim to be a fan of for some reason.

Pretty sad.
Debate what numbers?

Dobbs is a superior passer because he actually put points on the scoreboard. You can't understand that concept. Lmao.

I guess in your world scoring points and winning football games doesn't matter.

Reactions: cbatey1
Tell us more about the Elite Jarrett Guarantano and his 12 total TD in 2018.

He can't even make basic reads and he has been in a college football program for 3 years now.

You're so dumb it hurts.
No one said he is elite.

The only ones saying anything about being "elite" are the ones saying he isn't.

The only dumb in here is a person thinking the qb with the lowest ints in school history, 140 plus rating, 4/1 td int ratio, and over 62% with terrible talent around him "can't make a basic read."

Only dummies or morons look at total stats only.

Anyone with any sense knows qb rating, percentages, and the rate stats are what people look at.

He did well in those.

The qb doesn't call the plays.

So missing a couple games due to injury combined with a terrible, conservative play caller kept his attempts down.

Only a dummy holds low attempts against a qb.

Dobbs passing stats were worse than JG was last year. The lone exception was his senior season. JG is a better passer at the same point in their careers.

Dobbs running, a superior team, and better play calling than Helton did lead to more points. Not being a better passer.

Maybe you need to chill out with all the insults. At least have an intelligent argument. You just look even more juvenile and ignorant than your football opinions are already making you seem.

Reactions: Devo182
IMO, no. That does not explain the majority of it. A QB's job is to know the situation then read the D, assess the risk, and give the O a chance to sustain the drive. I believe he just thinks too slow... he doesn't do those things instinctively like good QB's do. There were numerous times when there was little pressure and he just dumped down because it was open... and it was open because the opposing D was happy to let him throw that pass.

Excuse making in the extreme... laughable. Add one more to the "never JG's fault" crowd.
Just because you don't agree that the things that I listed doesn't make them excuses. There are definitely times that he has made poor decisions and dumped the ball, but if he isn't coached on how to better handle those situations (developing his talent) he will continue to make the same mistakes. He will mature and grow, although there is not guarantee that he will catch up to the curve in time to make the kind of changes that will take the offense to a new level before he is done at UT. To be clear, I am not saying that JG is a great QB, but he is not as bad as some would make him out to be. He will not be a transcendent talent be any means, and he will need very close supervision and attention when he makes mistakes. But he is not a bad QB, I would label him more as an underachiever given his raw talent.

Reactions: VFL1953
What you just posted proves that JG is trash, keep blaming other players for JG not producing on the field.

You will see this year that JG is nothing more than a game manager (Our coach sees it too that is why he built up our defense with recruiting).
JG isn't "trash" nor is he a "game manager". He has a very good, accurate arm. He has toughness. He has other problems that I've been through enough time for most folks here to re-write for me. But he has potential if they can just address those issues.

Stop blowing smoke out of your ass about how "good" our QB is. Yea, he was good enough to win 5 games and miss a bowl.
He wasn't good. But he does have physical talent and he's not a hopeless cause.

Reactions: 82_VOL_83

JG isn't "trash" nor is he a "game manager". He has a very good, accurate arm. He has toughness. He has other problems that I've been through enough time for most folks here to re-write for me. But he has potential if they can just address those issues.

He wasn't good. But he does have physical talent and he's not a hopeless cause.

We've also got an ineligible receiver blocking downfield. lol
Generally speaking the officials give receivers the benefit of the doubt on the line of scrimmage. They probably ruled he was behind it making downfield blocking legal.

How did he keep his .pct so high by throwing the ball away as you say?
Because he ate it, way more than he threw it away. Also, I wouldn't say that his percentage was "So high". It was ok. But not great. Especially, considering that he threw alot of short, high percentage passes.

VN Store

Back