Why not try Alexander on PJ Washington?

wmcovol

And play Grant on Travis? Yeah Washington may shoot some 3s but it takes him off the block some. The 3 straight post ups on AS was not good strategy.

Reactions: VolunteerCeltic
I honestly would have thought AS could have held his own physically against PJ. He certainly didnt in the 1st game. I was completely suprised!

I honestly would have thought AS could have held his own physically against PJ. He certainly didnt in the 1st game. I was completely suprised!

Washington is 6-9 and he just shot over AS on those shots. I was like a big brother shooting over his little brother.

Alexander gets pushed around on the block way too easily. He has length, but not strength

Between the two, Washington is not as strong as Travis. Make Washington shoot over Alexander. Ky isnt going to Travis all night.

Deny Williams the ball that far in the paint and it makes it tougher. He, like Washington, is very hard to stop that deep in the paint. When Tennessee saw how loose the refs were calling this game, they should have adjusted but never did.

If the referees would have called the fouls correctly he would have been on the bench most of the first half at least. He is not going to score over there.

What I could not understand is why did we not front him with weak side help and at a minimum make him go left away from the middle of the floor. Just change it up. At least make him do something different each time he touched the ball.

Another thing I have been thinking about is why Barnes did not pick up a technical in the first half to at least protect his players. Tennessee was lucky it did not sustain an injury to one of its players.

If the referees would have called the fouls correctly he would have been on the bench most of the first half at least. He is not going to score over there.

What I could not understand is why did we not front him with weak side help and at a minimum make him go left away from the middle of the floor. Just change it up. At least make him do something different each time he touched the ball.

Another thing I have been thinking about is why Barnes did not pick up a technical in the first half to at least protect his players. Tennessee was lucky it did not sustain an injury to one of its players.

I've been a Barnes fan since long before UT and absolutely love the guy (still do so not a slam on Barnes in the least bit) but he made some errors in this game. If Tennessee was not going to match physical play with Kentucky, he should have gotten T'd up to try and set the tone to a more balanced whistle. Still, during the stretch in the first half, he should have called a timeout, maybe even two. Kentucky knocked down a few 3's, was getting nearly every 50/50 ball and dominating the glass. They were easily getting off screens and getting the shots they wanted. In a hostile environment like Rupp, Grant is the bread and butter to settle things down. He was so gassed, he was barely making it up the court and UT was settling for long contested shots. We weren't running sets or anything even close to our offense.. I think the lack luster effort carried over in the 2nd half and things got away quickly. If Barnes calls a timeout, settles things down, gives Grant a breather, we might develop confidence, momentum, whatever. Maybe it's reaching but this was the most important part of the game IMO. Either way, Barnes is a smart man and will adjust. I sure hope Kentucky strolls into TBA expecting the same Tennessee team they saw in Rupp.

I did think the strategy in this game was the most suspect it has been all year.

Reactions: wmcovol
Barnes commented to his assistants they were not running our offense and he didnt know who he was watching. They played selfish for the first time. Honestly i think they played scared for the first time.

I think Alexander is soft, and Admiral isn't tall enough. He's strong enough, but Washington although he is 6'9, has a 7'3 wing span. Ideally keep him pushed off the block, but if he gets set in on the low post (which is what happened most of the night) he will be hard to stop. I'm not a fan of the zone defense, but I think that's when we were most effective. Go Vols!!!

Best thought I've seen posted about the game. When grant was leveled on at obvious moving screen. Was the moment for me.

Best thought I've seen posted about the game. When grant was leveled on at obvious moving screen. Was the moment for me.

I guess I disagree.

I think intentional T's are fan fodder and simply become point and possession giveaways. The players already know the coach has their backs---at least they should.

Experienced ref crews don't like to be shown up and aren't positively affected by coaches showing off for the crowd. They know the tactic. They already disagree with the coach's opinion or they wouldn't have made the questionable decision or non-decision. Most important, they don't like being shown up and may do worse later when it matters even more.

And no, I didn't think this ref crew did a good job either. I just think that established coaches have other ways of communicating displeasure with officials, especially coaches with Barnes' credibility.

And play Grant on Travis? Yeah Washington may shoot some 3s but it takes him off the block some. The 3 straight post ups on AS was not good strategy.
I mean if the refs are not going to call fouls on Kentucky it don't make any difference who we put on him. Kentucky had 2 foul in the first half. One at the start of the game and one right before the half. If you not going to call the block PJ put on Grant then you are not going to call anything. I beklieve Grant and Admiral got their bell rung and that affected them durning the game.

Reactions: 08Vol
The big issue was Washington getting set up too low on the block. Once he got the ball there, it was over. Success on Washington won't be who can stop him in the post, it will be who can push him out to 10-15 feet to get the pass and not 5 feet.
Washington can shoot the three well. he has good touch and moves well and is stronger than he looks. He run the floor and is getting better every game. Our defense stayed in Knoxville along with most of our offense. We will see how the team reacts to the drumming it took Saturday. We face LSU, Kentucky and Auburn and all can be the VOLs if they play as they did against Kentucky last Saturday. Even Vandy would have beaten us Saturday. n

Saying that, I think the VOLs will regroup and could win the rest of the regular season's games. It would be nice to avenge the UK loss and beat LSU and Auburn on the road.

The one thing that got me was Barnes went to a zone and it was working and Tn got into a little groove and got within 10-12 points. then Tn started substituting and went back to man. Made no sense ,Ky went back up by 18.
I thought he would double up on PJ and make him give it up and take a chance on somebody else to make a shot and beat you. But I think this loss is what this team needed. I think they were a little full of themselves since becoming #1. They get another shot at Ky and I hope these same refs dont travel with Ky to Knoxville , I think we will see a different Tn team than what we seen at Ky.

Reactions: Skullbone
The one thing that got me was Barnes went to a zone and it was working and Tn got into a little groove and got within 10-12 points. then Tn started substituting and went back to man. Made no sense ,Ky went back up by 18.
I thought he would double up on PJ and make him give it up and take a chance on somebody else to make a shot and beat you. But I think this loss is what this team needed. I think they were a little full of themselves since becoming #1. They get another shot at Ky and I hope these same refs dont travel with Ky to Knoxville , I think we will see a different Tn team than what we seen at Ky.

Agreed, with the zone they cut it to 11,a turnover there and were right in it.......... Barnes goes back to man, it's what he does.
It's puzzling at times. He preaches team play, what can we do to win as a team not individual play! Then he puts his players into man, a one on one situation which creates individual play. :confused:

Reactions: tnvols72
Kyle doesnt have the weight to guard P.J Washington.. he was also in foul trouble early. Honestly he man handled the paint..
Im not sure who can guard him efficiently. I believe he was 7/8 at half could be a little off tho

The big issue was Washington getting set up too low on the block. Once he got the ball there, it was over. Success on Washington won't be who can stop him in the post, it will be who can push him out to 10-15 feet to get the pass and not 5 feet.

Grant got position on his man (don't remember who) and got called for a foul. Even Bilas said that Grant got to the spot first.

I don't think Barnes' style is to chirp enough for a technical. I know he famously stood up to Dean Smith at Clemson, but he is older now. He will get into a discussion with an official, but I would doubt he uses any profanity and is well respected. Just not what you are going to see from him.

VN Store

Back