Could Guarantano surprise us? (Merged)

IMO the coaches did him no favors with the play calling last year. There should have been more plays designed to get the ball out quick(wr screens, quick slants, etc) as well as keeping a TE or back chipping the pass rushers to win the numbers game at the LOS. Maybe CJC will put him in more opportunities to be successful. Just my 2 cents and GBO

That and they usually only let him throw once it was 3rd and long! It was embarrassing how often we went run-run-jg/callaway bail out. Helton owed a lot to jg and WRs for making him look even half capable.

I haven't read this thread entirely so if this has already been stated then my bad......JG is good, very good. I won't be surprised in the least. For him to put up the numbers he has with all the distractions, ie... multiple coaching changes/schemes and with the OL being so bad, is a testimony to his talent and ability. He is a leader by example. Taking crushing hit after hit and getting to his feet for the next set of downs shows the heart of a champion. I just hope he gets enough time to go through his reads to display just how good he is. Volnation should be very proud of this young man and give him the recognition he deserves and earned. GO VOLS!!!

You just described almost everyone here when it comes to any opinion expressed on this board.

Well that at least is a true statement. No one on this board is more invested in their own opinion than you are. And before you ask, my opinion is that JG is the best option we have currently, and with a better O line, more development and Chaney's help he will likely be serviceable. Tua, Fromm, Peyton freakin' Manning ain't transferring in, boys. Pruitt and Chaney will either develop JG or start a freshman. I'm not seeing that second option having a great outcome on the 2019 season, so get used to JG for now and stop whining so damn much about him, it's getting ridiculous.

Well that at least is a true statement. No one on this board is more invested in their own opinion than you are.
Not true... but that's OK. I've been here a long time. Some people are just more sensitive than others when it comes to debating/arguing.
And before you ask, my opinion is that JG is the best option we have currently, and with a better O line, more development and Chaney's help he will likely be serviceable.
Wasn't going to ask your opinion. I don't know yet if JG will be the best option this fall since one of the new guys could just come on so strong that they become the better option.

From a physical standpoint, I think JG can become far more than "serviceable".

Tua, Fromm, Peyton freakin' Manning ain't transferring in, boys.
Who said they were? Straw men btw are an indication of someone "invested" in their own opinion but lacking substance.
Pruitt and Chaney will either develop JG or start a freshman. I'm not seeing that second option having a great outcome on the 2019 season, so get used to JG for now and stop whining so damn much about him, it's getting ridiculous.
Not sure who you think is whining. You sound kind of whiny.... the way you felt compelled to start off by attacking me personally. k-town king sounds whiny.

FTR, Chaney did wonders with a Fr named Bray.... and another named Fromm. I'm not afraid of starting a Fr with him. Let the best man win.

It’s very simple. To call JG a bad QB your a moron.
So... to say that a guy who struggles to read D's, makes decisions too slow, and isn't trusted to throw passes where he has to anticipate makes one a "moron"? I gave you 3 specific things. Unless you are a "moron"... how about trying to have an actual discussion where you counter with some kind of tangible proof that I'm wrong?

Has he been outstanding ?no he has room for improvement. Is he our best option right now ?yes clearly.
Spring camp hasn't started. If he is the best option then Chaney is one of the best in the business in figuring out how to use his talents and get him to make good, timely decisions. He has weaknesses. Those weaknesses contribute to the offense he's led being anemic at scoring points. He is easy to defend because those weaknesses give DC's an advantage. They can push him and the playcaller into certain things then defend those things.
Is he as talented as other sec QBs? Yes.
Physically? He's top 1/3. I truly believe that. He has a very good, accurate arm. He does not lead receivers open (anticipate throws) and he is weak in reads and decision making.

He has 2 more years to develop.
I hope not. I hope the lights either come on this fall or Pruitt and Chaney invest in someone else. He's had 3 years to figure out the basics that most QB's start grasping no later than their 2nd year.

Imagine we judged dobbs after his sophomore year. Just remember that before you right JG off
We did. There was a contingent of "Dobbs never does anything wrong" folks. There were folks who realized he had a long way to go as a passer... that group included Josh Dobbs who went to QB camps, worked with "for pay" QB coaches, and studied film like his life depended on it. He got better.

"WRITE JG off"? Saying he has significant weaknesses and some promising talents is "writing him off"? Good grief. You really can't take that much disagreement?

n63m82.jpg

Shut it down gents, we're busted.
Ha, if that's in reference to my comment above its more like 'Thread Psychotherapist".

You're right but not just the throw.

The QB got the play, made the line call, made the pre-snap reads and adjustments, made the post snap reads, then threw the ball to the place where the WR had the best opportunity to make a play. At most, the WR read coverage on an option route. At the least, the QB made a dozen or more reads and decisions by the time the WR caught the ball.

Sorry sjt, I know you're taking this seriously, I'm not. I was just showing D4...I mean BOT how stupid the argument is. Im not calling anyone stupid, only the argument. Its stupid.

"Football is a team sport".

Reactions: 82_VOL_83 and sjt18
I know we keep saying this, but the natural expectation is for the veteran returning OL to be improved. Then theres the addition of Morris, potentially Wright as well. The RBs should be improved.
Then you add Jim Chaney and Tee Martin. Now we've heard Jennings is coming back.
I think the defense takes a step in the new system as well and improves a little.
This really is beginning to sound like a recipe for a very successful season for JG, even surprising some of us at VN. Does anyone else see a potential big jump for JG, or is what we've seen all there is?
Not as much as another thread about him.

It’s stupid. The offense depends on much more than one single player. Why that is hard to understand is crazy.

And your car depends upon many more parts than the ignition switch to get you from point A to point B. But there's NOT a fossil fuel vehicle in existence that will carry you anywhere if you cannot get the engine started.

Same with QBs.

Here endeth the lesson.

And your car depends upon many more parts than the ignition switch to get you from point A to point B. But there's NOT a fossil fuel vehicle in existence that will carry you anywhere if you cannot get the engine started.

Same with QBs.

Here endeth the lesson.
The QB would be more like... the driver of the car. A bad driver can drive a perfectly good car off the road...

Reactions: 82_VOL_83
Not sure who you think is whining. You sound kind of whiny.... the way you felt compelled to start off by attacking me personally. k-town king sounds whiny.

Lol, you think that's an attack? , Yeah, some certainly are more sensitive than others. I'll keep this short, it will save you more point by point pontification, cuz, you know, you're not at all invested in your own opinion.

Here is my breakdown on JG, and much of this has been mentioned before. Very strong arm, could work on accuracy mostly on deep balls though. Mainly needs to work on his pre read of the defense. This is mostly a result of being a Butch recruit as with the rest there was not any development, they were expected to win with the talent they came in with.

Reactions: 82_VOL_83
One can hope he'll finally learn to throw the ball away instead of taking those terrible drive killing sacks

Yes but with 384 attempts. 7.3 ypa and 136 qbr. Not fantastic, but that was improvement for Crompton at the time. JG is already ahead of this. If he can improve further, look out.

TDs, yards, and wins are the only stats that matter. JG is garbage in all of those categories.

He had a decent 3rd down completion percentage because of smart and conservative play calling by Tyson Helton.

JG was almost never forced to pass for more than 5 yards on 3rd down.

JG has never scored 3 TDs in a game and you idiots really think he is good?

Last edited:
Reactions: jacvols and cbatey1
It’s very simple. To call JG a bad QB your a moron. Has he been outstanding ?no he has room for improvement. Is he our best option right now ?yes clearly. Is he as talented as other sec QBs? Yes. He has 2 more years to develop. Imagine we judged dobbs after his sophomore year. Just remember that before you right JG off

Only a moron would compare JG to Dobbs.

Our offensive line gave up a boat load of sacks with Worley at QB. As soon as Dobbs came in the O-line rarely gave up sacks and the entire offense got better. JG will never be half the player that Dobbs was.

Last edited:
JG was almost never forced to pass for more than 5 yards on 3rd down
I'd like to see the numbers on that. JG was mostly average, but it felt like we spent the whole year in 3rd and long. Personnel and protection dictated quick and underneath stuff sometimes, but the ypa stat would seem to indicate that it wasn't all dink and dunk.

Last edited:
Serious life issues that are serious enough that I need a break from thinking about, but not so serious that I feel guilty wasting time talking seriously with some anonymous people on the internet about a game played by kids.
So only people with nothing better going on in life are the only ones that should be on VN?

Got it.

It’s stupid. The offense depends on much more than one single player. Why that is hard to understand is crazy.
Paying taxes in Kentucky is stupid also, but it is done. You saying something is stupid doesn't disqualify it from the conversation. You could just not comment?

Here is my breakdown on JG, and much of this has been mentioned before. Very strong arm, could work on accuracy mostly on deep balls though. Mainly needs to work on his pre read of the defense. This is mostly a result of being a Butch recruit as with the rest there was not any development, they were expected to win with the talent they came in with.
Pretty good cliff notes there CKJK.

Reactions: ckjoneskevin
The running back played the QB position, right? I mean, how many times have you seen a team play a down without someone in the QB position?

Stupid argument is stupid.
I was trying to come up with something......anything.......first thing that came to mind......

Reactions: Behr

VN Store

Back