Could Guarantano surprise us? (Merged)

Like you in this and every other thread?
Generally speaking. I just jump in after you and a few others start declaring JG's "perfection". In the abstract, you all say he isn't perfect... but in the concrete blame everything on someone else or deny that a problem even exists.

By and large, most of JG's critics want him to succeed. We just aren't in denial about his weaknesses.

Generally speaking. I just jump in after you and a few others start declaring JG's "perfection". In the abstract, you all say he isn't perfect... but in the concrete blame everything on someone else or deny that a problem even exists.

By and large, most of JG's critics want him to succeed. We just aren't in denial about his weaknesses.
Why do you hate JG so much??

Lol please explain emotionally driven numerical FACTS? Patiently waiting

Data can be misleading. JG clearly is nothing close to an elite Quarterback.

We aren't even in the top 50 of the NCAA rankings for passing offense, total offense, 3rd down conversion percentage, First downs.

JG's success on 3rd down should be attributed to good coaching and play calling. There's a reason Helton immediately got a head coaching job after a 5-7 season: he made something out of nothing.

Last edited:
Reactions: FLVOL_79
We aren't even in the top 50 of the NCAA rankings for passing offense, total offense, 3rd down conversion percentage, First downs.

How much of that is attributable to a TERRIBLE OL and no running game and how much of that falls on JG? I would submit that if JG had not been a good to very good QB, results would have been far worse. No way we beat AU or UK without a very good to excellent QB performance. IMO, the only QB we've had better than JG since the Fulmer years is Dobbs. And, if you recall, about as many people were down on Dobbs for overthrowing so many wide open receivers. I am very happy we have JG as our QB. With significant improvement in the OL, JG could really shine this year. He could very well be the best QB in the SEC his Sr. year. We won't agree, so we'll just have to wait and see.

How much of that is attributable to a TERRIBLE OL and no running game and how much of that falls on JG? I would submit that if JG had not been a good to very good QB, results would have been far worse. No way we beat AU or UK without a very good to excellent QB performance. IMO, the only QB we've had better than JG since the Fulmer years is Dobbs. And, if you recall, about as many people were down on Dobbs for overthrowing so many wide open receivers. I am very happy we have JG as our QB. With significant improvement in the OL, JG could really shine this year. He could very well be the best QB in the SEC his Sr. year. We won't agree, so we'll just have to wait and see.
This is an example of why this debate lives on. You in so many words just blamed everything on everyone else... except for the supposed leader and manager of the offense. The OL failed at times but other times it was JG's slow and at times poor decision making that made THEM look bad.

A "good" to "very good" QB can hit slants and hot routes to take pressure off himself and the OL. He can lead receivers on deep routes rather than making late decisions causing throws to come up short. There is blame to go around... and a good bit is due JG.

Cliff Notes version:

JG has the potential to be a good, not great, SEC QB. Dual-threat he's not. Give him a good, not great, SEC OL. We already have good, potentially really good receivers and backs. Back it up with a good, not great SEC defense, and we're in a bowl game this year. Maybe a good one.

I miss anything?

I'm not trying to trigger our resident cultists... but it kind of depends on QB play. Brandon is more of a "possession" type of receiver. He's going to get open within the design of the play. A QB who makes late decisions can't get the ball to a receiver like that. A QB that makes great reads and quickly gets the ball out... can take over a game with a receiver like that.
Talking out your ass here. Johnson isn’t a WR who will ever make an impact in SEC play regardless of QB play. He just doesn’t bring enough to the table physically. Blaming that on QB play is ignorant.

Reactions: KBVol
This is an example of why this debate lives on. You in so many words just blamed everything on everyone else... except for the supposed leader and manager of the offense. There is blame to go around... and a good bit is due JG.

Haha, yea, that's an example of why this "debate" lives on. Another example is where several blame everything on the QB.

Haha, yea, that's an example of why this "debate" lives on. Another example is where several blame everything on the QB.
There are a couple that pretty much only talk in terms of what JG does wrong. But I doubt even those guys think the OL was good and just crippled by JG.

I don't blame everything on JG. I think both bear blame.

Talking out your ass here. Johnson isn’t a WR who will ever make an impact in SEC play regardless of QB play. He just doesn’t bring enough to the table physically. Blaming that on QB play is ignorant.
You mean it doesn't matter if the QB makes the right read or delivers the ball on time... the WR should make up for it?

JG bears part of the blame. He doesn't read D's well and is too slow to make decisions too often. If you disagree... so be it. But it is a significant limitation on the offense if he doesn't improve or get replaced.

You mean it doesn't matter if the QB makes the right read or delivers the ball on time... the WR should make up for it?

JG bears part of the blame. He doesn't read D's well and is too slow to make decisions too often. If you disagree... so be it. But it is a significant limitation on the offense if he doesn't improve or get replaced.
You never get tired of being wrong. You must drink 8 red bulls a day.

He's now 6-10 as a starter with four of those wins coming against ETSU, UTEP, Charlotte, and Southern Miss. The O has been anemic behind him averaging right around 20 ppg (just a tad better than what got Fulmer fired).

But you just keep believing that 5 yard completions on 3 and 10 equal greatness.

I still hope he comes around... but only someone completely deluded believes he already has.

Isn't it more reasonable that JG makes 5 yard passes because of a combination of limited time to throw, lack of coaching, and the quality of the defenses that he has to play against in one of the most challenging schedules in college football? He may not be a future Manning or Brady, calling audibles at the line and breaking down coverage and blitzes before the play, but those guys didn't develop those abilities alone. They were coached up to that.

Additionally, the offensive playbook and play calling has just as much bearing on who is open to throw to as JG's ability to work through a progression and get a quick release. There is only so much he can do with limited play calling, throwing into the teeth of talented defensive backfields, avoiding blitzes from all conference and all American defensive linemen, and doing so with little to no coaching development. Oh, and in between all that he has to peel the paint and grass off of his facemask multiple times a game because the offensive line can't protect him.

Yeah, this is all probably because JG is a lack luster QB. Laughable.

Reactions: k-town_king

Who said that? Totally disingenuous misrepresentation of what I’m saying.

Missing the point here.

Is the lack of WR production partly JG’s fault? Duh.

Is it JG’s fault that BJ is smaller, slower, and/or a worse blocker than the WRs ahead of him on the depth chart? Nope.

Johnson didn’t produce much in 2019 because he was buried on the depth chart behind better athletes who bring more to the table athletically. Better QB would mean more production for all of our WRs, but how much production would that translate to for the 5th best WR on the team? Probably not too much.

Isn't it more reasonable that JG makes 5 yard passes because of a combination of limited time to throw, lack of coaching, and the quality of the defenses that he has to play against in one of the most challenging schedules in college football?
IMO, no. That does not explain the majority of it. A QB's job is to know the situation then read the D, assess the risk, and give the O a chance to sustain the drive. I believe he just thinks too slow... he doesn't do those things instinctively like good QB's do. There were numerous times when there was little pressure and he just dumped down because it was open... and it was open because the opposing D was happy to let him throw that pass.

Additionally, the offensive playbook and play calling has just as much bearing on who is open to throw to as JG's ability to work through a progression and get a quick release. There is only so much he can do with limited play calling, throwing into the teeth of talented defensive backfields, avoiding blitzes from all conference and all American defensive linemen, and doing so with little to no coaching development. Oh, and in between all that he has to peel the paint and grass off of his facemask multiple times a game because the offensive line can't protect him.

Yeah, this is all probably because JG is a lack luster QB. Laughable.
Excuse making in the extreme... laughable. Add one more to the "never JG's fault" crowd.

Reactions: Big Al Orange
Who said that? Totally disingenuous misrepresentation of what I’m saying.
Not really but whatever.

Is it JG’s fault that BJ is smaller, slower, and/or a worse blocker than the WRs ahead of him on the depth chart?
No. It is his fault that he doesn't throw receivers open including BJ. It is especially difficult for guys who depend on running a route well and having the QB throw to a spot. Jennings is another guy who isn't going to outrun anyone but can be pretty good if the ball is thrown on time.

Reactions: Big Al Orange
You never get tired of being wrong. You must drink 8 red bulls a day.
Even most of JG's supporters know that you suffer from cult-like delusions...

Not wrong. JG doesn't do pre-snap reads well and he is chronically late with post snap decisions. The OL was not good... and flat out bad at times. They were generally overmatched physically due to poor S&C and development.... and maybe because some of them just don't have SEC talent. But JG deserves a good share of the blame because of HIS issues.

It is personal for you. It isn't for me. I hope JG improves... but I'm not going to share your denial about where he was the past two seasons. He was NOT an effective QB.

Even most of JG's supporters know that you suffer from cult-like delusions...

Not wrong. JG doesn't do pre-snap reads well and he is chronically late with post snap decisions. The OL was not good... and flat out bad at times. They were generally overmatched physically due to poor S&C and development.... and maybe because some of them just don't have SEC talent. But JG deserves a good share of the blame because of HIS issues.

It is personal for you. It isn't for me. I hope JG improves... but I'm not going to share your denial about where he was the past two seasons. He was NOT an effective QB.
How is 62%, 140 rating, and 4/1 td/int ratio with the record for fewest interceptions by a starting UT qb not effective?

All with a team with out even one single combine invite. And with one of the worst lines in CFB.

The data doesn't support your claims.

And please stop talking about his freshman year. He was a million times better last year.

He will be much better this year.

Reactions: KBVol
I’ll probably get run off but JG did damn good until his body gave out. If these freshmen are as advertised I can’t wait for some to eat a truck load of crow

How is 62%, 140 rating, and 4/1 td/int ratio with the record for fewest interceptions by a starting UT qb not effective?

All with a team with out even one single combine invite. And with one of the worst lines in CFB.

And please stop talking about his freshman year. He was a million times better last year.

Qqj7m4r.gif

tenor.gif

I see now that this guy shills JG support in every thread lol

VN Store

Back