Will Tennessee Make The NCAA's?

Is Holly still the coach this week? Didn't she set another new record, worse loss in an SEC game. Holly, just amazing the records you are setting. You for sure are going to make the Hall of Shame!

If this team makes the dance then it will probably be because of reputation and be a sympathy selection.

The womens tournament is generally weak and some games are played to almost barren arenas.

They might get in due to that despite record lows in interest and attendance that will span multiple generations.

This team doesn't appear to have the heart to do anything special. Eventhough the team has practically under performed on an annual basis during Warlick's tenure it generally did something good that surprised you even if it was fleeting success. That showed heart if nothing else.

Consider though that this team doesn't have a player that played for CPHS or a teammate that played for CPHS. Mercedes may have been the last since she was here 5 years. We are seeing the aftershocks.

I agree there are no superstars on this team, But the problem is Holly is trying to coach this team like there are. I quote Dawn Staley i was trying to shorten my bench but i felt i needed to get my 2 talented freshmens on the to help and let them play thru there mistakes and it`s paying off that`s from the head coach. Holly has missed managed this team and players so bad i don`t think it can be fixed. Zaay and Rae are the most talented freshmens on the team and one get`s no mins not because she can`t play but because Holly lack of coaching. If every player return we are gonna have the same problem next year even with Jordan Horston. And if you ask me i think Key will play more then Horston and Saunders

How low this program has dropped! Wishing for us to make the field of 64 is about as low as we can go. No wait, we are thinking about a run in the NIT! How low we have dropped!!!

Reactions: djtee
We are not even in any conversation about tournament seeds. We have to go forward with hat in hand hoping we get one of them there invites.

Reactions: stlvolsfan
I am not that pessimistic. Rennia is finding her offensive groove. Cheridene is playing well. Evina has become a consistent scorer; Zaay is becoming an offensive threat. I expect to Meme to get going.

They have enough to pull it together and win 5 of their last 6. I expect us to win against South Carolina at home and lose to A&M. That would put the LVs at 20-9; they get one maybe two wins in the SEC to go 22-10 and they are in the tourney with no skin left on the teeth.

If they make it, the sweet 16 would probably be the upper limit but more likely a 2nd round exit.

Just clarify, barely scrapping into the tournament is just slightly less acceptable than making it at all.

Last edited:
giphy.gif

I am not that pessimistic. Rennia is finding her offensive groove. Cheridene is playing well. Evina has become a consistent scorer; Zaay is becoming an offensive threat. I expect to Meme to get going.

They have enough to pull it together to win 5 of their last 6. I expect us to win against South Carolina at home and loss to A&M. That would put the LVs at 20-9; they get one maybe two wins in the SEC 22-10 and they are with no skin left on the teeth.

If they make it, the sweet 16 would probably be the upper limit but more likely a 2nd round exit.
I agree with everything but the 16 part. Anything we have should be a minimum Elite 8

I agree with everything but the 16 part. Anything we have should be a minimum Elite 8
Given the range of their performances I get what madtownvol was saying. I wouldn't be surprised if they got bounced in the round of 32 like the last 2 years or if they made it to the S16. Beyond that I would actually be pretty surprised. What winning a tournament requires is some form of consistency and that's been incredibly hard for them to find in recent years.

Given the range of their performances I get what madtownvol was saying. I wouldn't be surprised if they got bounced in the round of 32 like the last 2 years or if they made it to the S16. Beyond that I would actually be pretty surprised. What winning a tournament requires is some form of consistency and that's been incredibly hard for them to find in recent years.

quite the opposite if you think about it NY,,,all of CHW's team wins in runs,,
you have to win a tourney by making a run

Tennessee had Diamond DeShields and/or Mercedes Russell during other seasons where they underachieved but scored surprise wins. Players like then could dominate at both ends of the floor at any given time...even if they were inconsistent. This year's team does not have a player like that, so I agree with others who day 2nd Rd/E8 is the ceiling for this team...provided they even make the field.

"Wins in runs" ? Yes, but the divide, at least the last few years, has been first half or so and the second half.
Doing great their first 15 games (All OOC games) than hiting the skids when the SEC games start. That is the clear delineation. Unfortunately, the only games left, before the NCAA's, are SEC games

"Wins in runs" ? Yes, but the divide, at least the last few years, has been first half or so and the second half.
Doing great their first 15 games (All OOC games) than hiting the skids when the SEC games start. That is the clear delineation. Unfortunately, the only games left, before the NCAA's, are SEC games

They just stood toe to toe for better than a half with the best team the SEC has to offer.
Figure out why halftime is dispiriting instead of inspiring
and it is very possible.

I hear you. I'm saying that unfortunately over the last few years they also have gotten into a habit of losing in runs as well and when you look at their runs they often display a lot of little things in the wins that end up catching up w/ then when they start to see familiar (even if less talented or athletic) teams in conference that result in losses. It's almost as if they don't catch the fundamental mistakes because they are winning and then when the tougher or more familiar teams come up on the schedule the little things end up adding up to harmful (in terms of tournament seeding/confidence sucking) unnecessary losses.

Would you be happy if they got to the S16 or still feel they underachieved? Also, what are your expectations for the SEC tourney?

I hear you. I'm saying that unfortunately over the last few years they also have gotten into a habit of losing in runs as well and when you look at their runs they often display a lot of little things in the wins that end up catching up w/ then when they start to see familiar (even if less talented or athletic) teams in conference that result in losses. It's almost as if they don't catch the fundamental mistakes because they are winning and then when the tougher or more familiar teams come up on the schedule the little things end up adding up to harmful (in terms of tournament seeding/confidence sucking) unnecessary losses.

Would you be happy if they got to the S16 or still feel they underachieved? Also, what are your expectations for the SEC tourney?

an excellent observation,,,..it comes from thinking that "the plan" used last time will work this time. . . A Coach's job, when watching us, is to find the kink in our armor and use it against us. turnovers, foul shooting,,, to use any weakness we have against us, until it isn't a weakness any more..,.It is also our coach's job to do the same thing to them.

S16, hell no, E8 is rock bottom for UT's goals. Anything less is under achieving...
You might say but this season is different.
Nope!
We still have some of the very best HS had to offer on our floor.
They don't get a break from me.

The girls have played long enough to know that there is life after the regular season even if they lose every game from now to season's end... You win the SEC and you are in. . . We just went toe to toe with #6 MS for better than a half...Now we get to see how we play the other new power (SC) ...
My expectations is "never, to not win".

What will it take for them and for Holly to see it’s just not working. This will be a huge embarrassment if we can’t even make the damn NCAA Tourney.

It used to be that every incoming class could be assured of playing in at least one FF (and usually at leat one championship game). Now we're trying to sell recruits on possibly squeaking into the tournament field as a bubble choice.

Unthinkable ten years ago.

The LVs are still a bigger draw than most unranked programs, so I'm sure the committee wants them in. If the LVs can mentally clear the slate and approach this as a new season starting tonight, then they can win enough to get in as a low seed. They could get knocked right out, but it's better for the program to make the NCAAT.

The LVs are still a bigger draw than most unranked programs, so I'm sure the committee wants them in. If the LVs can mentally clear the slate and approach this as a new season starting tonight, then they can win enough to get in as a low seed. They could get knocked right out, but it's better for the program to make the NCAAT.
True and that will have some effect. Unfortunately even if they get in they've played themselves out of the possibility of playing their first 2 rounds at home. So depending on the match up (which the committee does try to put good match ups together) the committee would probably try to put them in a location where their fans would travel.

True and that will have some effect. Unfortunately even if they get in they've played themselves out of the possibility of playing their first 2 rounds at home. So depending on the match up (which the committee does try to put good match ups together) the committee would probably try to put them in a location where their fans would travel.

Right. The LVs have never been seeded lower than a 7 seed, so it'll be a comedown, no matter what. The committee is practical. It's good for business and the visibility of the sport to have UT play, so if the LVs can go 3-3 or 4-3 in the final 6 games and make a respectable showing at the SECT, they'll slide in. It's ridiculous for a team this talented to cut it this close, but that's where the program is this year.

Right. The LVs have never been seeded lower than a 7 seed, so it'll be a comedown, no matter what. The committee is practical. It's good for business and the visibility of the sport to have UT play, so if the LVs can go 3-3 or 4-3 in the final 6 games and make a respectable showing at the SECT, they'll slide in. It's ridiculous for a team this talented to cut it this close, but that's where the program is this year.
Yeah. It's hard for me to imagine they go worse than 3-3 but I will make no predictions because they've burned me a few times lol. They most likely squeak in there even if they go 3-3 & are decent in the SEC tournament. Ideally they win all 3 of their games over the next 7 days and the teams ahead of them in the conference lose some games so they can move up because sitting 10th in the SEC isn't helping them either. Georgia, Mizzou, & LSU who are currently ahead of Tennessee should all lose tonight so Tennessee needs to win tonight to help themselves. What they cannot do is lose tonight because then they really will be in a pickle.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back