BTO’s Florida postgame report

I am a complete newbie here. Been lurkin' for years. I don't claim to know a thing about BBall. But I love this team. Every game someone different steps up and wins the game. Awesome teamwork for a team that supposedly doesn't have a top 100 prospect. I hate Kentucky , Duke and the rest of the "one and doners" Here's to the Admiral . Grant. Bone and the rest of the warriors. I'm weird but any team can get hot and cut the nets down in March. This is a great team regardless of what they do. Christian old time values and a coach who can coach! Go Vols!

Opponents miss a lot of shots against us so there are a lot of rebounds to be had.

No doubt; however most of the good teams hold their opponent to low or at least good numbers (good for them). Tennessee is 12th in FG% D...............Duke as I mentioned before is 6th..............Duke is the 2nd best rebounding team in the country and only second by .3 rebounds per........yet Tennessee is right there with them in defensive rebounding. ..........just not close at all in O rebounding........and THAT is where Tennessee struggles., in my opinion.

Teams Duke face miss just as many or really just a bit more, then the teams Tennessee face, Tennessee rebounds just over 28 of those per & Duke rebounds about 28.5 of those...........yet somehow Duke is a great rebounding team and Tennessee struggles...........the only thing which is different is the O rebounding.

Reactions: HighWaterVol
There’s certainly room for improvement but it seemed like they got a disproportionate number of bad bounces against the Gators.
Yeah seems to happen fairly often... forcing teams into bad shots and as a result they get funny bounces

No doubt; however most of the good teams hold their opponent to low or at least good numbers (good for them). Tennessee is 12th in FG% D...............Duke as I mentioned before is 6th..............Duke is the 2nd best rebounding team in the country and only second by .3 rebounds per........yet Tennessee is right there with them in defensive rebounding. ..........just not close at all in O rebounding........and THAT is where Tennessee struggles., in my opinion.

Teams Duke face miss just as many or really just a bit more, then the teams Tennessee face, Tennessee rebounds just over 28 of those per & Duke rebounds about 28.5 of those...........yet somehow Duke is a great rebounding team and Tennessee struggles...........the only thing which is different is the O rebounding.

Total rebounds per game isn’t a good stat. Defensive rebounding percentage or opponents offensive rebounding percentage is way better to measure a team’s rebounding and we are bad in that department.

I do not use kenpom as I don't like it, but to each their own.......not saying its bad. I did say they could improve and they can, but I would not expect them to improve tremendously.........as they simply are not a great rebounding team, and the NCAA has them listed at the 30th best D rebounding team.........not far at all behind Duke. Maybe the % is not there, but their totals are and I still do not see it as a problem for this team. Tennessee's O is great and they get 28 defensive rebounds per game, I think they will be just fine with that, but I still theink they need to work on their 10 O rebounds per game.

But still this is just my opinion.
The point is that we give up a lot of offensive rebounds. The stats golfballs provided shows our defensive rebounding efficiency is pretty poor because of the number ORebs we surrender. We may gather a lot of DRebs, but you have to account for pace and number of potential rebounds available.

It can be better. Alexander & Williams should get their share and AS should dominate his man on D board.

This is a huge factor vs Ky and LSU. Neither are going to impress you shooting but they can rebound misses.

And that might be pushing it. I don’t think Tre has scored over 20 this year but I could be wrong. Not really his game but they heavily rely on their top 3.

Duke has 3 who score more than 10 per (but they do have 2 that average 20+)
Virg has 3 who score 10+ per (but no one who scores more than 14+)
Gonzaga has 4 who score 10+............their numbers are similar to Tennessee's (they also have 1 who scores 9 per)
KY has 4 who scores 10+ per but no one who scores more than 14 per
Nevada has 4 who score 10+ per.......2 who score 11, and 2 who score 19
Mich has 3 who score 10+ per, but no one who scores more than 15 (they do have 2 others who score 9 per)
UNC has 4 players who score 10+ per (3 of which score 15 per, but none that score 16 or more, they also have one who scores 9 per)
Mich ST has 3 who score 15+ per.............their top scorer is at 18.6
Marq has 3 who score 10+, but they do have one who scores 25 per

No one in the top 10 at least has the scorers that Tennessee has (at least the amount of players who can score)
Tennessee has 5 players who score 11+ and another who scores 8.5 per
Only UNC is real close but they don't have anyone who scores more than 16 and Tennessee has 2 that do.

Reactions: SJAVol32
The point is that we give up a lot of offensive rebounds. The stats golfballs provided shows our defensive rebounding efficiency is pretty poor because of the number ORebs we surrender. We may gather a lot of DRebs, but you have to account for pace and number of potential rebounds available.

Hey I get it.............but I don't think anyone should expect Tennessee to grab 30 or more per..........heck only 2 major teams in America do that UNC and Mich ST..........they both get 30 D rebounds per.

Tennessee gets just over 28....................I don't care how many are missed, Tennessee simply can't get much better............sure maybe they could have done better through out and got up to 29 per...........but that would only get Tennessee to 19th from 30th, and their O rebounding would still be bad.........at 168th in the country.

I under stand the %'s but because Tennessee already gets 28 per..........there really isn't a ton more they could get per...............simply based on the numbers they get, others get, and really the ceiling (like 30 would be the ceiling.......and they don't have the personnel for that).

Total rebounds per game isn’t a good stat. Defensive rebounding percentage or opponents offensive rebounding percentage is way better to measure a team’s rebounding and we are bad in that department.

I am not denying that. For me the prob comes in improving when Tennessee already gets a large number. I was not saying they are a good D rebounding team, just for me their O rebounding "could" improve more. People have to really figure out what they "could" do.........and personally I don't think they could do any better than 29 on a consistent basis, and less than 1 per would help, but I don't think it would help much in real life or in game to game situations, but it would prob help in the % a great deal.

Tennessee "might" could improve by 1 D rebound per.............but I really think that would be the ceiling for this team. However I really think they could get 13 per O rebounds per..........I think they have the personnel to do that.

Also I don't mind if people have a different opinion, as I am often wrong in what I thought were facts and in my opinion's...........and a difference of opinion keeps us from becoming controlled by the man.

Last edited:
I wonder if their lack of offensive rebounds is due to their desire to get back in transition fast. Someone educate me here. That’s a part of b-ball I’m not sure I know much about.

I am not denying that. For me the prob comes in improving when Tennessee already gets a large number. I was not saying they are a good D rebounding team, just for me their O rebounding "could" improve more. People have to really figure out what they "could" do.........and personally I don't think they could do any better than 29 on a consistent basis, and less than 1 per would help, but I don't think it would help much in real life or in game to game situations, but it would prob help in the % a great deal.

Tennessee "might" could improve by 1 D rebound per.............but I really think that would be the ceiling for this team. However I really think they could get 13 per O rebounds per..........I think they have the personnel to do that.

Also I don't mind if people have a different opinion, as I am often wrong in what I thought were facts and in my opinion's...........and a difference of opinion keeps us from becoming controlled by the man.

They aren’t a great rebounding team on either side, they’re better rebounding on the offensive side than the defensive side though. I’m not sure there’s a stat that keeps track of this but my guess is that we have a much better first shot defensive numbers than overall defensive numbers, I think even an average opponents orpg% would give us a much better defensive team.

I wonder if their lack of offensive rebounds is due to their desire to get back in transition fast. Someone educate me here. That’s a part of b-ball I’m not sure I know much about.

I’m not sure it’s any one thing, my opinion though is that defensively we get beat off the dribble a lot and this leaves us scrambling on close outs and often out of position, this results a lot of times in us going 4 on 5 for an offensive rebound that 1-2 of our guys don’t even see because they were out of position on shooters.

Reactions: Vols All Day
They aren’t a great rebounding team on either side, they’re better rebounding on the offensive side than the defensive side though. I’m not sure there’s a stat that keeps track of this but my guess is that we have a much better first shot defensive numbers than overall defensive numbers, I think even an average opponents orpg% would give us a much better defensive team.

I suspect you are right on (I imagine Tennessee's first shot D numbers are pretty good).......I have been searching hard but can't find those numbers (but I'll keep looking).

I’m not sure it’s any one thing, my opinion though is that defensively we get beat off the dribble a lot and this leaves us scrambling on close outs and often out of position, this results a lot of times in us going 4 on 5 for an offensive rebound that 1-2 of our guys don’t even see because they were out of position on shooters.

Tennessee has actually improved their 3 point defense lately but still hasn’t really improved their defensive efficiency, most likely because of the lack of rebounding

Hey I get it.............but I don't think anyone should expect Tennessee to grab 30 or more per..........heck only 2 major teams in America do that UNC and Mich ST..........they both get 30 D rebounds per.

Tennessee gets just over 28....................I don't care how many are missed, Tennessee simply can't get much better............sure maybe they could have done better through out and got up to 29 per...........but that would only get Tennessee to 19th from 30th, and their O rebounding would still be bad.........at 168th in the country.

I under stand the %'s but because Tennessee already gets 28 per..........there really isn't a ton more they could get per...............simply based on the numbers they get, others get, and really the ceiling (like 30 would be the ceiling.......and they don't have the personnel for that).
What do you mean they can't get much better? Giving up the percentage of ORebs they do tells me there is plenty room for improvement. We are 221st nationally in opponents OReb%.

You say you understand how the percentages work, but your argument suggests a different story. You contend Tennessee struggles getting ORebs, yet they are #50 nationally in OReb% and our opponents DReb% is #51 nationally.

When you are 2nd in the nation in FG%, it doesn't leave a ton of ORebs to be had, which is why the percentages are a more accurate barometer of rebounding success.

Reactions: HighWaterVol
What do you mean they can't get much better? Giving up the percentage of ORebs they do tells me there is plenty room for improvement. We are 221st nationally in opponents OReb%.

You say you understand how the percentages work, but your argument suggests a different story. You contend Tennessee struggles getting ORebs, yet they are #50 nationally in OReb% and our opponents DReb% is #51 nationally.

When you are 2nd in the nation in FG%, it doesn't leave a ton of ORebs to be had, which is why the percentages are a more accurate barometer of rebounding success.

This is the reason I say I don't think they can get much better........at least on a consistent basis: Tennessee gets just over 28 now, the best "major college" teams in the nation get 30, UNC and Mich ST. Most everyone else higher than Tennessee get 28. something, a few get 29. with the personnel Tennessee has I do not think they could consistently get more than 29. While 1/2 more or 1 more would greatly improve their % it would not do much in a game to game situation.

Sure the % say they could get a more rebounds (as there are more to be had)...............but that is not going to happen, when even the best teams (best at D rebounding) don't get much more per. Sure theoretically Tennessee could get a lot more as they give up like 12.5 O rebounds per......if Tennessee grabbed just 2 of those per they would be way better............but Tennessee is not going to get 30.1 or 30.2 D rebounds per (just my opinion).

I've noticed this year and last we have a lot of difficulty with on ball defense in terms of stopping penetration, leaving us in compromising positions quite often. Schofield is really bad at this, in particular. We could really benefit from playing a pack line type defense to compensate, but that's not going to happen.

Tennessee has actually improved their 3 point defense lately but still hasn’t really improved their defensive efficiency, most likely because of the lack of rebounding

In our last 5 games 4 of those have ranked in the top half of our defensive efficiency outings on the season, so there is some hope that it’s improving. Rebounding better would make it much easier and and overnight fix, but it appears even in spite of the rebounding they may be improving (even if slightly) on defensive end...obviously the level of competition is about to ramp up considerably and we will find out exactly where they are at defensively.

This is the reason I say I don't think they can get much better........at least on a consistent basis: Tennessee gets just over 28 now, the best "major college" teams in the nation get 30, UNC and Mich ST. Most everyone else higher than Tennessee get 28. something, a few get 29. with the personnel Tennessee has I do not think they could consistently get more than 29. While 1/2 more or 1 more would greatly improve their % it would not do much in a game to game situation.

Sure the % say they could get a more rebounds (as there are more to be had)...............but that is not going to happen, when even the best teams (best at D rebounding) don't get much more per. Sure theoretically Tennessee could get a lot more as they give up like 12.5 O rebounds per......if Tennessee grabbed just 2 of those per they would be way better............but Tennessee is not going to get 30.1 or 30.2 D rebounds per (just my opinion).
Just forget I mentioned it.

Tennessee allows 16points/100 possessions on quick 2nd Chance opportunities which is 293rd in the country. And a 2nd Chance conversion rate that ranks 108th. Consider our overall fg defense ranks 27th...

Last edited:
LSU is #1 in the country offensively in converting 2nd chance points. Will be a challenge for us.

VN Store

Back