Semeka Randall

Ergym

What happened to Semeka Randall? I have not seen her with Cincinnati since December at least.

What happened to Semeka Randall? I have not seen her with Cincinnati since December at least.

Unfortunately, Semeka didn’t fare well as a head coach. I never saw her teams play so I can’t even make an educated guess as to what areas of the game she struggled with, but, obviously, the wins didn’t come regularly enough.

I always admired Semeka and really hope she’s well and happy wherever she is. ❤️

Oh, wait! I didn’t realize she’d taken a job as an assistant at Cincy. I was thinking about the Ohio job, which didn’t go well for her.

Gosh, I hope she’s okay. You’re right — she appears to have vanished. I can’t find any press about it, or even a tweet.

She's been around and around since she left Tenn. Asst Coach at Cleveland State, AC at Mich St, AC at WVU, HC at Ohio U., HC at Alabama A&M, AC at Wright State, and was hired by Cincinnati as AC this past April then left for undiscoverable reasons in December.

I remember back when Pat recruited her, Semeka stated that help was on the way defensivly and she hoped they pressed a lot.

I'm sure when the Tennessee job opens up again, she'll be on the short list...
Please tell me you are joking!! I think KJH will bring the LV’s around, however, it might take longer than we hoped. However, if the job does come open again, I hope that we choose a coach with D1 power five experience. Right now we need to find a way to return to top 10 recruiting, develop the talent and not lose several key pieces through the portal.

Just like how great college or professional players don't always make great coaches, the "Summitt Tree" has some shortcomings. That doesn't necessarily mean they have "failed" at anything. I am not speaking about any one or two specific situations here but:

a large, large number of men and women's basketball players at the division 1, power 5 level don't exactly come from homes where education was emphasized. Many lived in poverty, unstable households, some came from unsafe neighborhoods and attended substandard high schools. Again, it's not all of them but many. Pat's emphasis on academic preparation in addition to being in a disciplined program meant if you stuck with her demands a young lady was likely to earn a degree and move the needle for their entire family forward. For some, success means breaking a cycle of poverty even if they don't wind up having hall of fame coaching careers.

I know almost nothing that hasn't been publicly shared about any of "the" major stars of the big time women programs. I don't have any special insight other than the recognition that for some women and men, having that person to look up in their lives who actually placed demands on them in addition to caring about them made a difference that otherwise wouldn't have happened. The Summitt Tree is more than just coaching success, but rather it's the collective success of all those whose life she touched.

I would guess successful coaching trees come from coaches who were teachers-first, disciplinarians second.

I would say Pat's approach was more about "Do what I tell you, how I tell you, be relentless, and you will succeed," leaving the "learning" to happen more often in retrospect, as players look back on how Pat got them to their achievements.

As the game evolves in Xs, Os, and style... the teaching trees have the advantage on evolving with the game. Just my opinion... but I'd bet Kara Lawson has the best perspective on that.

Please tell me you are joking!! I think KJH will bring the LV’s around, however, it might take longer than we hoped. However, if the job does come open again, I hope that we choose a coach with D1 power five experience. Right now we need to find a way to return to top 10 recruiting, develop the talent and not lose several key pieces through the portal.

He's not joking he's wishing

Reactions: JohnnyPayne

VN Store

Back