BTO’s Florida postgame report

bleedingTNorange

1. Another conference game another win...it wasn’t the best effort of the season but it was a solid win against a team that the computers seem to like, and it was a season sweep over Florida, hard to complain about that. I’m not sure if Florida finds a way to sneak into the tourney but they’re at least in the conversation, if they figure things out that’ll only help the Vols.

2. Individually nobody really had a “great” game, Bone and Turner had probably their worst combined game together all year 8-18fg 8ast 8tos, not likely we see those 2 struggle like that again. Williams and Schofield had strong games, they combined to go 13-22 from the field, maybe we should have found them more but Florida’s defensive strategy makes it difficult to get it inside even though they aren’t that big down low...credit to both of them for not forcing things though.

3. I think Jordan Bowden once again deserves credit, he has absolutely found a new confidence level and at this point I now feel comfortable expecting it every night from
Bowden and not just hoping...he’s got a quick trigger on the 3 now and not simply only a spot up shooter, he’s driving, hitting the midrange curls and his leaping ability seems to be at a new level too, that left handed putback should be SC Top 10, not sure why that one wasn’t shown multiple times.

4. Offensively and defensively we were pretty good, Florida is only going to beat you from 3 and for the most part we did a nice job shutting that down. We lost Locke a couple of times and that’s annoying, but overall we did a good job limiting their looks. Offensively we were pretty good when we didn’t turn the ball over, 53%fg 43% from deep is phenomenal, but 13 turnovers on 17 assists is uncharacteristic and once again getting outrebounded (15orbds for them) is what kept this game as close as it was.

5. Alright so we are down to 1 to go, what seems like several weeks/month+ ago I started pointing out the possibility of getting to Kentucky at 23-1(11-0) and having a showdown with them similar to the hype we’ve seen for tonight’s game with Duke/Virginia. We still have South Carolina on Wednesday night to get through so the players can’t be looking ahead to Saturday, but as fans we sure can and boy am I already excited for this one. I’m not sure what to expect, the Cats are arguably playing better than anyone in the country, and Tennessee of late has not been...the continued issue of not keeping teams off the offensive boards plays right into Kentucky’s strengths, my head says this isn’t gonna go well, but my heart hopes I’m wrong, either way I can’t wait, but first let’s continue the home winning streak and beat USCjr on Wednesday night.

GBO!!!

Stokes only played a couple of minutes and looked kind of thuggish.

Lamonte is clutch with late in the game 3-pointers.

The 3 sophomores played much better than their stats would indicate. They didn't have negative plays and allowed the regulars to have bench time and save fouls. They did things like make the first of 2 passes for an easy basket (therefore not credited with an assist) and save errant passes which prevented turnovers. I'm sure that the usual clowns trashed them in the in-game thread.

2 things:

1. For some unknown reason to me, Jalen Johnson has become my favorite player to watch when he’s out there. I pull for him almost like a little brother. I want him to become the superstar.

2. Lamonte Turner is the most clutch player on the team (I know this is debatable).

That’s all from me.

Great win. GBO!

Another good D effort for Tennessee........that is two in a row now (both at home, but still glad to see). Tennessee held FL to 35% & 31%, Tennessee had 4 blocks and 23 defensive rebounds. While the O didn't look great, it was very efficient........Tennessee simply needs to work on those offensive boards.

Johnson for Florida finished the game on the bench after getting popped in the mouth. He was very bloody when he came off of the court and the trainer called over the team doctor to check him out. Reminded me of CJ Watson doing dental rearrangement on Joakim Noah with his elbow.

They aren't showing their playbook for next week

I’ve thought that myself. Our offense has changed from how we’re attacking now than earlier in the year. Use to get Grant going early but it may be due to the progression of Bone and the team maturing but I like to think we’re going to rip Ky up in the paint

I’ve thought that myself. Our offense has changed from how we’re attacking now than earlier in the year. Use to get Grant going early but it may be due to the progression of Bone and the team maturing but I like to think we’re going to rip Ky up in the paint
Also, Grant is hampered by that knee.

Schofield needs to sit in the paint next game

He can post it up no doubt; however he is 6.6, and Tennessee has Williams, and Alexander there already. In the paint, Schofield is a better driver/worker, than a "wait there get the ball and shoot." guy.

Kentucky scares me. I don't think we've played our best basketball yet this season. We have another level. Our versatility has gotten the Vols where they are and we've won when one or even two haven't been playing their best game. Tonight was rather different in that everyone seemed to be less than dialed in but everyone did enough. In starting to wonder if this team isn't playing to the competition a little bit. I do like how they seem to be taking it one game at a time. SC mid week and a huge game against KY Saturday.

VN Store

Back