Tennessee has reached out to Missouri Seniors

A bad QB loses to Auburn on the road and a #11 ranked Kentucky
I don't really care enough to engage in this argument... But here is the thing I see. Those were our only two big wins. Keeping in mind that a one on one jump ball takes virtually no skill aside from arm strength from the QB(which JG has for sure) ... Go back and count how many drives were only successful because of jump ball throws in both of those games.

I've watched football a long time. There are certain traits that just jump off the good screen that separate bad QBs and good QBs. For JG, I'm just not seeing it. I don't think he has great anticipation. I don't think he has great accuracy. I think he will improve ten told at reading defense and pre snap adjustments, but I don't see a guy anyone would consider better than "OK" at a college level.

Jmo. Jmho. Imo. Gomd.

JG was the highest rated QB on 3rd down in the SEC DESPITE not having a running game to take the pressure off him. No QB in the SEC had a better game all season than JG had against AU. The kid is very good. He would have been perceived better than Fromm had he had an average OL and a running game . Probably the best passer we've had since Bray, but JG has a better head on his shoulders. I can't fathom why so many people are down on the kid.
JG wouldn't be successful on any team playing the way he does. You are delusional, he will never be half the passer or runner that Dobbs was.

Since this has turned in to a JG thread. I'll be honest and say I'm not a fan of JG's play, he's tough though I will give him that.
I'll will say though since Pruitt has brought in some top notch guys for coaching. Maybe they'll turn the light bulb on for JG and he has a breakout season. I hated math in HS, got to college and got a professor that explained stuff so simply that I became an A student in the higher math levels I took. So I'll give JG an opportunity to have his ahhh haaa moment but if it's clear he's just not getting it or progressing I say bench him and lets roll with one of the other guys and maybe have him ready for 2020.

You should move on then because there is no way he's not the guy next season. You all sound like cable news hitting the same points over and over based on angled impressions. You never point out his improvement from year 1 to year 2, you never mention the victory at Auburn, calling it a fluke because it doesn't fit your narrative. You never mention that his 1st 2 games ever were vs Al and Ga when he should have started 6 games earlier his 1st season and you always fail to mention that he's earned the respect of his teammates, fans and coaches through sheer toughness, which last time I checked was a decent trait to have for a football player. I've been critical of several of our QBs in the past, usually the weak armed ones, and JG certainly has his faults, but if you don't see talent there then nothing really else to say or argue. You must be smarter than the coaches and nearly every analyst I've seen that think JG has a bright future. My opinion but anybody that wanted Dormandy, McBride or Chryst over JG is not very good at evaluating or identifying talent nor do they know what it takes to play QB at the SEC level.
My support of JG is typical fan support. Your level of hatred toward him is close to a psychiatric condition in need of medical intervention.

Fake news, IMO. Failing UT QB, total disgusting trumped up witch hunt, etc. Please add blue font.

You should move on then because there is no way he's not the guy next season. You all sound like cable news hitting the same points over and over based on angled impressions. You never point out his improvement from year 1 to year 2, you never mention the victory at Auburn, calling it a fluke because it doesn't fit your narrative. You never mention that his 1st 2 games ever were vs Al and Ga when he should have started 6 games earlier his 1st season and you always fail to mention that he's earned the respect of his teammates, fans and coaches through sheer toughness, which last time I checked was a decent trait to have for a football player. I've been critical of several of our QBs in the past, usually the weak armed ones, and JG certainly has his faults, but if you don't see talent there then nothing really else to say or argue. You must be smarter than the coaches and nearly every analyst I've seen that think JG has a bright future. My opinion but anybody that wanted Dormandy, McBride or Chryst over JG is not very good at evaluating or identifying talent nor do they know what it takes to play QB at the SEC level.
My support of JG is typical fan support. Your level of hatred toward him is close to a psychiatric condition in need of medical intervention.

Fake news, IMO. Failing UT QB, total disgusting trumped up witch hunt, etc.

Because he is slow making decisions and doesn't appear to make pre-snap reads effectively. It matters. It is a BIG problem. It is a problem similar to an OL who can't read a D alignment and pick up the right man in time to prevent a sack.

You can quote statistics all day long except for the two that matter most- points scored and games won.

When a QB has by far the worst OL in the SEC and is first in 3rd down efficiency and had the best game of any QB in the league against a quality opponent, and has the 2nd best TD/Int in the SEC, it doesn't jive with "slow making decisions and doesn't make pre-snap reads effectively." Stats PROVE otherwise.

REALLY? HOW MUCH TIME DOES HE NEED??
DOES IT MATTER WHEN HE CAN'T RECOGNIZE WHERE THE PRESSURE IS COMING FROM PRE-SNAP????!

The game analyst pointed out many times over the season how Jarret didn't recognize what was coming. He would go back and diagram HOW you could tell where the pressure was coming from. And yet he still didn't see it.

And yes...sometines the OL just got beat.
But you flock of people that continue to defend such supbar QB play and put it all on the Oline need to be ashamed. How long have you all been watching football and not learned a damn thing....

Ok,
Tell us what qualifies you to evaluate a QBs. Take your time. Give us your full football resume. Some of have been watching for a long time.

I didnt like Dobbs and aint crazy about Guarantano.

Hate on me all you want.

I'd take Tyler Bray over both of them.
At least Dobbs was able to use pure athleticism and his brain to sometimes single handily get the team out of trouble and/or win games.

JG was the highest rated QB on 3rd down in the SEC DESPITE not having a running game to take the pressure off him. No QB in the SEC had a better game all season than JG had against AU. The kid is very good. He would have been perceived better than Fromm had he had an average OL and a running game . Probably the best passer we've had since Bray, but JG has a better head on his shoulders. I can't fathom why so many people are down on the kid.
Lol. I get the feeling some of yall would get sold a Fiero and think it was a Ferrari..

Reactions: ScornedPapaVol
I don't really care enough to engage in this argument... But here is the thing I see. Those were our only two big wins. Keeping in mind that a one on one jump ball takes virtually no skill aside from arm strength from the QB(which JG has for sure) ... Go back and count how many drives were only successful because of jump ball throws in both of those games.

I've watched football a long time. There are certain traits that just jump off the good screen that separate bad QBs and good QBs. For JG, I'm just not seeing it. I don't think he has great anticipation. I don't think he has great accuracy. I think he will improve ten told at reading defense and pre snap adjustments, but I don't see a guy anyone would consider better than "OK" at a college level.

Jmo. Jmho. Imo. Gomd.

I get what you’re saying and you have some valid points. But keep in mind I’ve never tried to make the argument that JG is an awesome QB and Heisman material. Just that he’s is better than some people give him credit for and certainly not the reason we were 5-7 last year like some on here seem to think.

Jmo. Jmho. Imo. Gomd.
His number of interceptions was very low which means he was very accurate or was so far off , no one was in the area. However, his completion % was not bad and he had a lot of passes dropped. He was rushed more than ant QB I have seen at Tennessee and I have been watching Tennessee football since 1945. Look for him to have a very good year and remember he completed 8, 3rd down and long first down psses in one game. Some of you guys are selling him way short.

Behr may be a lot of things, but homer idiot isn't one of them. Why is a guy who's been on the board barely two weeks getting so worked up and personal with his posts? Generally reflects a lack of imagination if nothing else.
I thought this was about Mizzou.

The obsessed JG haters have once again ruined a thread with their ignorant garabage.
His number of interceptions was very low which means he was very accurate or was so far off , no one was in the area. However, his completion % was not bad and he had a lot of passes dropped. He was rushed more than ant QB I have seen at Tennessee and I have been watching Tennessee football since 1945. Look for him to have a very good year and remember he completed 8, 3rd down and long first down psses in one game. Some of you guys are selling him way short.

He has never scored more than 2 touchdowns in a game (even against the worst teams in NCAAF)

He had 2 touchdowns for 4 out of 12 games in 2018.

Of the remaining 8 games in 2018 he scored a maximum of 1 touchdown per game (0 TD against Florida, ETSU, Alabama, Missouri).

Jarrett Guarantano 2018 Game Log | College Football at Sports-Reference.com

Last edited:
Reactions: Vol_Lord_1990
When a QB has by far the worst OL in the SEC and is first in 3rd down efficiency and had the best game of any QB in the league against a quality opponent, and has the 2nd best TD/Int in the SEC, it doesn't jive with "slow making decisions and doesn't make pre-snap reads effectively." Stats PROVE otherwise.
No. They simply don't. Your eyes prove it. They take pressure off of him with no read plays like screens and even those back shoulders that pumped up his stat line. You have a bias to want to blame someone else. You and a hand full of others here don't appear to be Vol fans but rather fans of a particular underperforming player. I'm a Vol fan which means while I would LOVE for JG to be as great as you think he is... he just isn't. The problem is shared between him and the OL. You can say it is 60-40 one way or the other or 50-50. But both have to improve significantly or UT needs replacements in those 6 spots.

Reactions: Vol_Lord_1990
No. They simply don't. Your eyes prove it. They take pressure off of him with no read plays like screens and even those back shoulders that pumped up his stat line. You have a bias to want to blame someone else. You and a hand full of others here don't appear to be Vol fans but rather fans of a particular underperforming player. I'm a Vol fan which means while I would LOVE for JG to be as great as you think he is... he just isn't. The problem is shared between him and the OL. You can say it is 60-40 one way or the other or 50-50. But both have to improve significantly or UT needs replacements in those 6 spots.

“you are what your record says you are”
― Bill Parcells

Kelly Bryant wants to showcase his talent and throwing ability and Tennessee is unfortunately not the place to do that next year. He wants to raise his draft stock, and as much as it pains me to admit it Tennessee would not help that. He would be moving backwards if he transferred. Bryant doesn't care about going to a bowl game at Mizzou (he would most likely sit that out anyway). He wants to throw the ball, and Mizzou has an O-line that will protect him better than ours would.

Why would KB come to Tennessee? Pruitt will never play anyone before JG. KB would sit the bench like KC did last season

I didnt like Dobbs and aint crazy about Guarantano.

Hate on me all you want.

I'd take Tyler Bray over both of them.

Seems like you like pro style qb. I do also. I know there are certain situations in which a qb can scramble for a few yards but I am not a big fan of a running qb
Just needs to be able to avoid sacks long enough to make a play down field.

replace JG with Drew Lock or Jalen Hurts and we are an 8 win team

Good QB's know how to get rid of the ball and avoid sacks even with pressure. (Hot Route, Audible, Scramble)

If we win the South Carolina game, we get a bowl game against Penn State or Oklahoma State. Finish season I, a positive note at 7 - 6

The obsession continues.

Can't even talk about another teams possible transfers without the same 5 posters making this yet another JG thread.

He was good last year. He will be the qb this year and next if he doesnt go pro. None of you have a clue.

Get over it or cheer for someone else. No point in bashing the starting qb in every single thread.

Reactions: DWright39

VN Store

Back