A Scenario to Contemplate

aurabass

BIG WOOFER
Say DOOK blows out UVA giving the Cavs 2 losses going to UNC, Va Tech, and Louisville (home & away) and they end up with X losses
And the VOLS drop one to KY by 1 or 2 pts possibly in OT
Are the 1 seeds then Duke, Gonzaga, KY & Tennessee?

Dook has losses to Gonzaga & Syracuse
Gonzaga lost to UT and UNC
KY lost to DOOK, Seton Hall, and Bama
and a loss to KY would give the Vols an OT loss to Kansas & KY - with a win over Gonzaga

So who should the top 4 seeds be then?
I know the VOLS will beat KY so this scenario is moot but one of the talking heads said only one of UT and KY should be 1 seeds.
but even with a close loss AT KY the Vols have the better record (since Bama & Seton Hall are unranked)

Say DOOK blows out UVA giving the Cavs 2 losses going to UNC, Va Tech, and Louisville (home & away) and they end up with X losses

and a loss to KY would give the Vols an OT loss to Kansas & KY - with a win over Gonzaga

I know the VOLS will beat KY so this scenario is moot but one of the talking heads said only one of UT and KY should be 1 seeds.
but even with a close loss AT KY the Vols have the better record (since Bama & Seton Hall are unranked)
Too much ball to play to worry about it. UVA still plays UNC, Va Tech, and Louisville x2. Plenty of potential losses out there for them.

Duke still plays UNC x2, Louisville, and Va Tech.

UK still plays Tennessee x2, LSU, and Auburn

We still play UK x2, LSU, Miss St, and Auburn.

Too much ball to play to worry about it. UVA still plays UNC, Va Tech, and Louisville x2. Plenty of potential losses out there for them.
Duke still plays UNC x2, Louisville, and Va Tech.
UK still plays Tennessee x2, LSU, and Auburn
We still play UK x2, LSU, Miss St, and Auburn.

I only bring it up because it was discussed on Gameday for ESPN concerning the Early Top 16
That's when the "either KY or UT not both" claim was made. My point is - given a close KY win at Lexington - both UT and UK should be one seeds.
Nothing to "worry about" -just another discussion for those who are interested.

I only bring it up because it was discussed on Gameday for ESPN concerning the Early Top 16
That's when the "either KY or UT not both" claim was made. My point is - given a close KY win at Lexington - both UT and UK should be one seeds.
Nothing to "worry about" -just another discussion for those who are interested.
I mean, yeah, if it were solely based on those two games and both teams run the table otherwise, I can see it. But UVA would need to fall of, as well. They aren't going to be punished heavily for losing to Duke, and would still have a better record than UK with a loss today, and those only two losses coming to the overall #1 seed.

Reactions: aurabass
This is the take on the EARLY TOP 16 as discussed on the CBS SPORTS site
Duke earns the overall No. 1 seed
The committee was split almost down the middle on Duke vs. Tennessee for the overall No. 1 seed. The next five teams in the bracket were relatively easy. Unlike a year ago, when the top four teams a month in advance looked like they had few challengers, it is easy to see a path to a No. 1 seed for the teams through at least No. 9, which brings me to…
PURDUE a surprise discussed on the seed line with Michigan State.

My guess would be after Iowa State lost to TCU and Wisc lost to Mi State and Va Tech lost to Clemson
the LSU win over Auburn will put them into the top 16 in the early brackets.

Last edited:

TN & KY will not both be 1 seeds. One of them will at least have two L's to the other........and if not one of them possibly lost early in the tourney. Tennessee can handle a loss at KY...........KY can't.

If Tennessee lost at KY, I would assume the "for now" 1 seeds would be Duke, Tennessee, Gonzaga, Mich........in that order...........possibly KY would move over Mich............but only for the time being. At that point the last 1 spot would be up for grabs Mich, KY, Virg.

Just got home from Duke-UVA game (work at UVA), and as much as I love the Vols, if Duke plays the tournament the way they did tonight, no one is beating them.

Duke was unconcious in hitting the 3ball against Virginia and they have virtually no weaknesses other than having trouble shooting the three point shot.

Just got home from Duke-UVA game (work at UVA), and as much as I love the Vols, if Duke plays the tournament the way they did tonight, no one is beating them.
I think Duke just had one of those nights shooting the 3. The announcers said they shoot around 29% from 3. The good news is they might not shoot that well again from 3 the bad news is , they might do it again lol. They are good and athletic. Va did themselves no favors. turnovers and playing bad D

There are going to be peaks and valleys for any team....Rivalry Games are hard to predict. This is also the conference race in the ACC. Nobody was really talking about UNC last night but VA gets them on Monday and Duke twice.
It's a Long Season. Hard to predict where Duke or any of us will be come March. Duke has had world beaters before just depends on team and timing...they have been label to win it all and lost in RD 2....RD3 and even R1 in one instance....kids are kids.

Duke shot lights out......that is for sure; however they also had 15 turnovers, they were out rebounded, and had no block shot advantage (things they usually do great). To me Virg did not look good.........not really at all last night; however I personally didn't think Duke looked great either..........other than their shooting % and even at that, many of their shots were bad shots that just went in.

Teams like Duke will not hit shots like they did last night much.........if ever again. I think the game simply gave people a blueprint on how to beat Duke. Virg had the perfect game plan, they just played bad, and Duke got lucky with their %, and off of some bad shot selections.

I do however think Duke will be a tough game for anyone including the Vols. The above is just my opinion on their most recent game, and my opinion don't mean much.

Forget it... If we lose once to KY, they will be a 1 seat not us. Too much gushing love for coach and big blue for an upstart like UT to unseat them from prime time. By the way, when have you seen the no. 1 team relegated to "lesser channels" and "followup" times like UT has been this year. Just one point to support my statement.

ESPN and the NCAA will drop UT like a hot potato, at their first opportunity. It will be a miracle if the Vols get a #1 seed, if the scenario you speak of, actually happens. I am still convinced that UT will drop UK and one other, on the road. But, I feel we will hold serve, at home, and go far into the tournament.

Gonzaga isn't losing ahead of the NCAAT, so 6-8 teams are dooking it out for the other 3 one seeds. If we only lose 2 games the rest of the way I think our chances are 50-50; if we only lose once (and to KY) I'd say our chances are 99.5-.5.

ESPN and the NCAA will drop UT like a hot potato, at their first opportunity. It will be a miracle if the Vols get a #1 seed, if the scenario you speak of, actually happens. I am still convinced that UT will drop UK and one other, on the road. But, I feel we will hold serve, at home, and go far into the tournament.

That is a big weakness.

If Tennessee takes a loss at KY, and only one other, then makes it to at least the finals of the conf tourney, they will be a 1 seed. Depending on other teams they could drop 2 more in the regular season and still get a 1.........but Tennessee would have to beat KY once and either LSU or MS ST for that to happen (just saying they could not sustain losing to KY, LSU & MS ST).

They had 15 turnovers last night, if they do that vs Tn they'll get run out of the gym.
I think even Duke knows they got lucky last night. Don't get me wrong, they shot it great and great teams find ways to win and they did. However I expect they know they will not shoot 58% & 62% again.

It's just as possible they play like they did against Syracuse, or like they did vs FL St (winning with a buzzer-beating 3).

Imo Gonzaga is the team to fear most, then Duke and maybe us or VA.

It's just as possible they play like they did against Syracuse, or like they did vs FL St (winning with a buzzer-beating 3).

Imo Gonzaga is the team to fear most, then Duke and maybe us or VA.

I am with you on Gonzaga, I do not want to see them even on the same side of a bracket as Tennessee............heck let some other team take them out.

VN Store

Back