Maleik Gray and Tyler Byrd status?

Byrd only had one catch this past season, and two catches the year before. And I thought that Gray was changing over a WR position, but I don't think we saw him at all last season. I could be wrong, though.

Byrd was commonly at WR during run plays and seemingly did a decent job downfield blocking. He only had one catch, but it was a TD against Bama. He is a SR this year, so hopefully he can contribute more in the passing game.

Gray seemingly struggled with his position move to WR last season. He only played in a couple games at his new position. It will be very interesting to see if he can earn some PT on either side of the ball this spring, depending on where he ends up.

Both guys appear to have the physical tools to contribute.

He’s from Florida.. I feel Byrd decommitting from Miami was of the worse decisions he’s made for himself.. he looked so good as a freshman in the slot and hasn’t played since. I know he’s gotta think about that a lot. Wasted talent to be honest imo. I feel bad for him.. get that degree my man and bounce. Go play somewhere

He’s from Florida.. I feel Byrd decommitting from Miami was of the worse decisions he’s made for himself.. he looked so good as a freshman in the slot and hasn’t played since. I know he’s gotta think about that a lot. Wasted talent to be honest imo. I feel bad for him.. get that degree my man and bounce. Go play somewhere

You saying they should leave? As an upcoming senior...I’d think working hard and hoping to find some consistency here would be the better advice. I do t get how a kid as athletic as Byrd can’t get on the field. Crazy

Gray has transfer written all over him. Byrd had a nice freshman year but the last 2 haven’t been anything what he’s capable of. Believe it or not he was actually in games a lot last year though, the dude is a good blocker. But hopefully we see more than blocking for his SR year, he has potential to make an impact for sure.

Will be surprised if Byrd doesn’t contribute this year. If he doesn’t not sure he has the work ethic to live up to his talent. I ain’t mad at him , something to be said for those that can relax a bit. May live longer

You saying they should leave? As an upcoming senior...I’d think working hard and hoping to find some consistency here would be the better advice. I do t get how a kid as athletic as Byrd can’t get on the field. Crazy
I don’t get it either and that’s what I’m saying.. go play somewhere for the benefit of himself. It sucks he’s being wasted

I don’t get it either and that’s what I’m saying.. go play somewhere for the benefit of himself. It sucks he’s being wasted

Or maybe isn't as good as we want him to be? I mean , if he hasn't shown it by now....

I guess man.. I honestly don’t know what happened he averaged 11 yards a play as a freshman. How is that not on the field ?

Not sure. I remember how crazy this place was when he picked UT. I honestly forgot about him until I saw the thread title.

Hopefully, he gets his degree and takes off from there

I never understood maleik gray’s ranking coming out of high school. I saw him play at lavergne and he was playing defensive end. He didn’t jump out like you’d think a player of his ranking would even if he was playing out of position. I guess he was a hell of a camper

I think the offensive line woes hurt them, in particular Byrd last year. QB with no time to set up and throw and when he does it's almost exclusively down field or check down to Jennings. Not a lot of opportunities.

Reactions: tbones0711
I never understood maleik gray’s ranking coming out of high school. I saw him play at lavergne and he was playing defensive end. He didn’t jump out like you’d think a player of his ranking would even if he was playing out of position. I guess he was a hell of a camper

Garantano's dad told Rivals that Maleik was a high 4*. They believed him and the rest is history.

Byrd was commonly at WR during run plays and seemingly did a decent job downfield blocking. He only had one catch, but it was a TD against Bama. He is a SR this year, so hopefully he can contribute more in the passing game.

Gray seemingly struggled with his position move to WR last season. He only played in a couple games at his new position. It will be very interesting to see if he can earn some PT on either side of the ball this spring, depending on where he ends up.

Both guys appear to have the physical tools to contribute.
I too remember bragging on Byrds blocking. Glad he still played hard.

Byrd would be electric with the ball in his hands. Chaney can get the ball to him some imo. He is good at getting the ball into his play makers.

Reactions: SpookyAction
If I remember correctly he had a lot of drops. But then under butch all the receivers had a lot of drops.

I think the offensive line woes hurt them, in particular Byrd last year. QB with no time to set up and throw and when he does it's almost exclusively down field or check down to Jennings. Not a lot of opportunities.
I definitely think that's most of the problem for the last two years. Bad line blocking coupled with inconsistent passing accuracy. None of our receivers have good numbers and they seem to have trouble getting separation. Mauer the incoming freshman is said to have to play behind a bad offensive line in HS and hopefully can make things happen.

Reactions: Big Al Orange
If I remember correctly he had a lot of drops. But then under butch all the receivers had a lot of drops.
You're not remembering correctly IMO. Hard to catch a pass 2 feet behind you and thrown on the ground 2 feet in front of you while you're in stride.

Reactions: vettefool
CJP said something like, "Players that practice the right way will play the right way." So, if they're not getting into the game, odds are it is because they're not cutting it during practice, right?

VN Store

Back