who wanted Chip Kelly again?

I’m sure I was in the kelly crowd more than once.
I’m shocked he’s not recruiting well tbh.

Cant wait to see (if) Pruitt does well how many people pump their chest out about how they knew he was the guy.

Either he knows exactly what he's doing and is about to repeat what he did at Oregon and run the PAC12 on scheme or he just doesn't have the desire to hit the recruiting trail. I'm surprised.

I’m sure I was in the kelly crowd more than once.
I’m shocked he’s not recruiting well tbh.
He had the framework of what Bellotti left him at Oregon and unknown but pretty stout recruiters in Frost and Helfrich to stock his roster. Plus that Nike cool factor that Christobal is cashing in on. He’s not that engaging in the interviews and TV work I’ve seen him in, so I felt emboldened in criticizing his ability to recruit in the SEC. Still thought UCLA would sell on the west coast tho. Recruiting wasn’t Mora’s problem.

He had the framework of what Bellotti left him at Oregon and unknown but pretty stout recruiters in Frost and Helfrich to stock his roster. Plus that Nike cool factor that Christobal is cashing in on. He’s not that engaging in the interviews and TV work I’ve seen him in, so I felt emboldened in criticizing his ability to recruit in the SEC. Still thought UCLA would sell on the west coast tho. Recruiting wasn’t Mora’s problem.

I knew he came off as cold, borderline boring, and lacks enthusiasm but his track record in the P12 should have gotten him better than the groups he’s gotten. Maybe the kids think he’ll bolt again given the chance

Reactions: VOL_Lyfe
Chip had a lot already in place from when he took over at Oregon . He's not a particularly charismatic guy , so his magic will happen when he finds the right group of "diamonds" that he can program his schemes into and start laying waste to the Pac12 , then recruiting will take care of itself. Bellotti's staff had a lot to do with who Chip had to work with, but Chip and Aliotti took them to the next level. I'm not sure Jeff Maehl had a committable offer from another D1 school. Casey Matthews was a low 3 star but had a few decent offers . Point is , we're probably lucky we got Pruitt because he is a more natural fit in the SEC and can recruit, but given time CK will get it rolling at UCLA.

There was a reason I was hoping that Florida would hire him last year.

Most people thought he was the "big catch", but I think people were looking back at his days at Oregon and not realizing that he can't replicate that. Oregon was the perfect storm. Bellotti built that program up for nearly a decade and a half. It had Nike resources. And Chip Kelly walked into the perfect situation where he could use an innovative offense with great talent (built up by Bellotti) and college defenses wouldn't be prepared for it. He parlayed that into 4 big seasons at Oregon.

But at this point, defenses in college and the NFL are accustomed to and prepared for Kelly's HUNH offenses. In fact, at the NFL level, defenses had so thoroughly figured out Kelly's offense, that they were calling out the plays before they were run. It's a gimmick offense that worked for a few years when defenses didn't know how to respond to it, but the good DCs know the formula to crack it at this point.

The problem with Kelly, then, is that he doesn't have many attributes of a great Head Coach other than his offensive scheme. He's awful with people. He has a bit of toxic personality. He's not a good recruiter. He's not a good manager. The only thing he has is a good offensive mind and it remains to be seen whether he can re-innovate the offense again or if it was a one-time thing.

He would've been a trainwreck in Gainesville. He'll at least get more time at UCLA, but with the way he's recruiting, even if he's the most brilliant offensive coach in the world, he's still going to have a very difficult time winning the Pac-12.

What's giving Kelly breathing room is his good fortune that USC is also down at the present time.

All of the VN experts did. Just like they wanted Charlie Strong, Kevin Sumlin, or Shaka Smart over RB.

He was ahead of his time in a lot of the sports science stuff he was doing. Gave him an edge at Oregon and in the pros. Now everyone does what he was doing.

Reactions: coffeecountyvol
I wanted Kelly. I thought he was the best hire of the year. Not looking so now, but it's too early to say, really.

Why? He is an established, well known coach. Why would it take him time? Are you saying he needs time to get his players and get his syetm installed?

With all of the talent in southern California, why would he have to come all the way to Cleveland, TN to sign a 2 star RB who only weighs 170 lbs? There could be 30 of those in L.A. That is just plain weird.

With all of the talent in southern California, why would he have to come all the way to Cleveland, TN to sign a 2 star RB who only weighs 170 lbs? There could be 30 of those in L.A. That is just plain weird.

Had to look this up. Actually a pretty amazing story. Hope he succeeds at UCLA:

Cleveland High School's Keegan Jones signs with UCLA

I will give Kelly credit for finding "diamonds in the rough" and players that fit his system. But even given that, tough to imagine he can win the Pac-12 when he's not recruiting much of anybody on the defensive side.

ESPN was also running a graphic showing that football participation rates by the kids is going down in California. even with their population increasing. They didn't really explain if this included HS/rec/developmental or what. But IIRC the numbers had gone from 130,000 a couple years ago to barely over 90,000 today.

they may not be as talent rich as they were.

I wanted Kelly baaaaad. A huge part of it was just because it would have made me feel like they were actually trying to hire a winner.

Oh well, yea its not looking good so far and if he does in fact fail....OMG, I was wrong.

VN Store

Back