Basketball Team is #1

white65

And they got there with (mostly) players that almost no one wanted. Football is slightly different, but when was the last time we had a 3* player turn into an All SEC Player. (Bad example OP what about Cam Sutton). My general point is the basketball team is performing above the level they've recruited. While the football team is consistently in the top 15 range of recruiting ranking but drastically under performs on the field.

Rant Over....

The road to success is not paved with 3 star guys being the majority of the team in college football. Basketball you can have 1 guy carry your team, football not so much.

OK. New and Coach and all............maybe we should wait and see the actual product on the field? Just sayin.

And they got there with (mostly) players that almost no one wanted. Football is slightly different, but when was the last time we had a 3* player turn into an All SEC Player. (Bad example OP what about Cam Sutton). My general point is the basketball team is performing above the level they've recruited. While the football team is consistently in the top 15 range of recruiting ranking but drastically under performs on the field.

Rant Over....

Barnes is a real coach.

Hope Pruitt can be, but his immsense reliance on recruiting scares me. When he said he was gonna recruit over peeps (not coach them up??) seems like a red flag.

Reactions: 08Vol and Titan05
The road to success is not paved with 3 star guys being the majority of the team in college football. Basketball you can have 1 guy carry your team, football not so much.

Maybe for a night or two, but not the season. Good thing we have about 8 guys that can carry this basketball on any given night, and on most nights they all do the lifting.

Barnes is a real coach.

Hope Pruitt can be, but his immsense reliance on recruiting scares me. When he said he was gonna recruit over peeps (not coach them up??) seems like a red flag.
I'm pretty sure he meant he was going to recruit better players and sometimes that does mean current players may be passed up by new recruits. Happens everywhere.

Rant Over....
It took a few years for these guys to develop both physically and mentally. I credit CRB for establishing the environment and adhering to the standards that comprise a championship caliber basketball team. The key word is TEAM. The key is the type players he recruited. They have developed into very good players but what is special is how they play together, the synergy they have as a team. They, the players did this. They bought in put in the work and it is about the TEAM, not an individuals. This Team is special because they function as ONE.

Maybe for a night or two, but not the season. Good thing we have about 8 guys that can carry this basketball on any given night, and on most nights they all do the lifting.

True. This team has a lot guys that can takeover if someone is off.

Barnes is a real coach.

He said he'd recruit players who would do what the Coaches told them to.
This was a reference to those holdovers who didn't buy in.

Rant Over....
Apples to oranges, there is a huge difference in ability in terms of comparing a 5 star to a 3 star in football. Top 15 ranking recruiting wise in the SEC is mediocre to bad, if you want to win your division in the SEC you better have consecutive top 10 classes for 3 years with great development.

Reactions: 08Vol
Barnes is a real coach.

Every coach, every article, every comment by anyone who has ever talked about Pruitt says the same thing "he knows football". He was good enough to win multiple National Titles with Nick Saban and others. Read his Wikipedia page and take note of the ranking of his defenses. Seems to have a consistent pattern wherever he goes.

Barnes is a real coach.

No way to compare Barnes and Pruitt. Barnes has been coaching since 1997. He should be a real coach no?

No way to compare Barnes and Pruitt. Barnes has been coaching since 1997. He should be a real coach no?

Yes, I agree it's too early to tell. But time on the job isn't the standard either. Lots of old timers hang out doing a lot less. By "real coach" I mean a developer and schemer, not a mere recruiter. Some of his first year statements are a bit worrisome, like he's still coaching at Bama. But time will tell.

Every coach, every article, every comment by anyone who has ever talked about Pruitt says the same thing "he knows football". He was good enough to win multiple National Titles with Nick Saban and others. Read his Wikipedia page and take note of the ranking of his defenses. Seems to have a consistent pattern wherever he goes.

While I agree, he hasn't had to do it without top 10 (maybe top ~7) talent and as a HC (he now has to dictate the offense too...).

His quote after playing Vandy about how he called the same plays as he did the year before with Bama shows he has a lot of room to grow and learn. I mean...he seemed shocked the same plays with different players and much less talent didn't work all the same. He also says 3-4 def coaches could call the game for us. And off coords sometimes don't matter. I'm just not sure how much he values schemes and development. And that is the Saban school - outtalent everyone through recruiting. But that aint likely to happen here.

I highly respect what he's done at Bama, fsu, uga, but this is a different ball game he's in now.

Reactions: basspond and 08Vol
Barnes was looked down upon while at Texas for not winning more with his talent. People seem to forget that.
My opinion is that not everyone can coach “me first” guys. Barnes is doing a great job getting these guys to be “team first” and is making each player better.
I think CJP can do that as well.

37c6a76b2ef7f7542583be639b1462b4.jpg

It took a few years for these guys to develop both physically and mentally. I credit CRB for establishing the environment and adhering to the standards that comprise a championship caliber basketball team. The key word is TEAM. The key is the type players he recruited. They have developed into very good players but what is special is how they play together, the synergy they have as a team. They, the players did this. They bought in put in the work and it is about the TEAM, not an individuals. This Team is special because they function as ONE.

Yeah, people tend to forget this is year 4 for Barnes. Years 1 and 2 weren't that good and we missed the tournament both years. The B-Ball team is awesome now, but it took a minute for them to get where they are now. Let's see where Pruitt has the football team in year 4.

Football teams carry alot more players per team than basketball. Its easier for the big name teams to monopolize the better players.

Having said that Barnes is a dang good coach and I believe coaching is what separates the top teams from everyone else. That's in any sport. You have to delevope, motivate, and inspire these kids to believe in what your trying to do.

Reactions: a vol n tears
Yeah, there is no comparison, for a number of reasons.

Regardless, what the BBall team has done wouldn't even be possible without the one and done rule. If they required 3 years in college, we wouldn't be relevant.

There's a reason no one has done what you are suggesting in the SEC. You can't consistently coach away a talent gap that exists on every position of a 40 man roster.

Reactions: 08Vol

VN Store

Back