Questions about Lady Vol team

Benionsopinion

1. Has any one freshman player improved since the first game of the year?
2. Does the team seem to know what to do on defense
3. How do the Lady Vols know that Holly has their back?
4. Why have good shooters like Evina and Rennia suddenly started shooting sideways to the goal instead of squaring up?
5. Why have post players not overcome their penchant to not catch passes?
6. Why can nobody hit a layup?
6. Why does MiMi Collins not get more minutes?
7. Why has Massengale's ball handling suddenly become suspect?
8. After more than twenty games,why no cohesion on the floor?

Just questions that others have asked,maybe in different ways. My opinion is that since game one,there has been no jelling as a team. Individuals have played well at times and at others,not so well. There is no team learning as to what to do on defense or offense. This is a coaching failure,but also players' failure. In playing the game,players should be accountable to each other rather than doing things wrong consistently. Too many times,we see players looking at each other instead of playing the game as they know it should be played.
Have read no comments on today's game against VU,but the game was hard for me to watch. Lady Vols did not play that well and the officiating was atrocious. Holly's failings have been noted time and again,yet,to me,her biggest failure today was not having players backs. Get a technical called,Holly,and show your players that you're with them. When your players are being mugged with no calls,yet are called for touch fouls,let the officials know. The players can't,but you can. If you have to watch on tv in the locker room,at least you've let them know that five against eight is not the way basketball is supposed to be played.
Lady Vols need a player to direct them on the floor,and thus far have not had one. One only has to watch our #1 men to see how players accountable to each other can improve team performance. In my opinion,the coaches on the bench are falling down in leading these Lady Vols also,and the problem starts at the top. Had Holly been technicalled twice today,I would have applauded her.
End of rant,I do not expect to see improvement.

Agreed! I've fussed at Holly in post before, then I see her recruiting classes and think just maybe? False hope along with no player development. It is what it is. When the lady Vols win is when they get the lucky bounces and nothing more!

Reactions: T.J.
4. Why have good shooters like Evina and Rennia suddenly started shooting sideways to the goal instead of squaring up?

Just questions that others have asked,maybe in different ways. My opinion is that since game one,there has been no jelling as a team. Individuals have played well at times and at others,not so well. There is no team learning as to what to do on defense or offense. This is a coaching failure,but also players' failure. In playing the game,players should be accountable to each other rather than doing things wrong consistently. Too many times,we see players looking at each other instead of playing the game as they know it should be played.
Have read no comments on today's game against VU,but the game was hard for me to watch. Lady Vols did not play that well and the officiating was atrocious. Holly's failings have been noted time and again,yet,to me,her biggest failure today was not having players backs. Get a technical called,Holly,and show your players that you're with them. When your players are being mugged with no calls,yet are called for touch fouls,let the officials know. The players can't,but you can. If you have to watch on tv in the locker room,at least you've let them know that five against eight is not the way basketball is supposed to be played.
Lady Vols need a player to direct them on the floor,and thus far have not had one. One only has to watch our #1 men to see how players accountable to each other can improve team performance. In my opinion,the coaches on the bench are falling down in leading these Lady Vols also,and the problem starts at the top. Had Holly been technicalled twice today,I would have applauded her.

Holly has miss managed this team from day one. Holly trying to rely on Westbrook Davis and Jackson it`s not gonna work. Watching SC vs Ark Dawn pulled Cooper and replaced her with the fr Destanni Henderson and the fr has responded. Dawn said before the game i need to get her on the floor.

1. Is that a serious question? Zaay Green has come a long way; I think Massengill and Collins are better as well. The comp. has gone up quite a bit from a very soft pre-season schedule.

2. Sometimes but they have too many breakdowns. A problem area for sure.

3. Holly was for several technicals last season. I don't recall if she has had any this season. I would like to think that she has a rapport with the players that does not depend on a "for show T." Maybe she was working the officials in a less combative way (it is hard to tell with the weird court set-up at Vandy). The LVs had control of this game for the most part and needed to keep their composure. Maybe Holly was modeling that. If there was a game were she should have gone ballistic, I think it was Missouri. I think this criticism would fit that game but not so much this one.

4. From my eye, that is mostly when they driving to the hoop. Evina made some nice shots with those sides moves. Her and Rennia looked pretty true to me when they had spot-up jumpers.

5. They looked better today. KK made some nice grabs in the paint.

6. That is something that needs a lot of work.

6 (repeated in your list) She is a freshman, playing behind more experienced players an she has been a little inconsistent. It is hard to see her taking minutes away from Cheridene who has been a beast and even KK who is coming and is more of a physical presence. Next year, she should get a lot more time in the spot light and for this season, she needs to be ready when the call comes.
She got minutes today and played well. It is a process with freshman.

7. I am not what this observation is based on. Her handle looks just fine.

8. The LVs had some excellent cohesion and ball movement today. There problem is consistency and killing their momentum with forced plays and sloppy passes.

Last edited:

Nothing has been done by CHW to address the turnovers and other matters...there have been games with 21 turnovers. We have a "standing offense"...watch some of the other teams and compare. The ball is moved around the perimeter until the clock runs out. Bring Kelly Jolly Harper home from Missouri State as our coach...played on 3 national championship teams for Summit, coached at Auburn under Joe Caimpi (defense), coached at UTC under Moore (now at NC State), successful at Western Carolina and inherited a mess at NC State before going to Missouri State. She now has that team with only one senior with freshmen and second year players and they just knocked off a Top 25 team...bring her home.

3. What does that even

Did you watch the game?[/QUOTE]
MTV,did you read my post or just my questions? Both these are answered there. You may think freshmen have improved since first game,but I think they have actually regressed in some areas such as shooting,rebounding,and defensive progression. They are now playing not to make mistakes,as has been the case on other year's teams Early game cupcakes were no worse than VU.

Reactions: madtownvol
3. What does that even

Did you watch the game?
MTV,did you read my post or just my questions? Both these are answered there. You may think freshmen have improved since first game,but I think they have actually regressed in some areas such as shooting,rebounding,and defensive progression. They are now playing not to make mistakes,as has been the case on other year's teams Early game cupcakes were no worse than VU.[/QUOTE]

My apologies. I overlooked the bottom portion of your post. I have edited my original post accordingly. On the freshman, we'll just have to agree to disagree. I think Mimi Collins looks more composed and physical. Massengill is reading the game better. Zaay has become an impact player and no longer looks like she is playing at an out-of-control pace. She is slowing down and reading the game. Rae's a bit of enigma. She is up and down. I think she will develop into a fine player; she has the tools but she tends to rush. I do like her effort on the court and the aggressive attitude.

While I am at it, I have qualified compliment for Kamara Harris. She remains a "project player" but she is not the disaster she was in her first 2 season. Realistically, when she was on the court, the LVs were in effect playing 4 v 5.

This seasons she is much fitter and does not look lost on the court. You can even see some basic post moves forming. If she can continue her improvement curve, she could become a solid role player (someone who can hold down the fort for a ten minute stretch when needed).

Reactions: Bret178
Holly has miss managed this team from day one. Holly trying to rely on Westbrook Davis and Jackson it`s not gonna work. Watching SC vs Ark Dawn pulled Cooper and replaced her with the fr Destanni Henderson and the fr has responded. Dawn said before the game i need to get her on the floor.

When I said long time ago that Holly & Dawn are in the same level of coaching. I'll take that back, Dawn knows the game far from Holly and I Just watched her coached and saw how she won a lot of close tough games.

1-no
2-no
3-She does coddle them.
4-The Holly effect.
5-The Holly effect.
6-The terrific Holly and Assistants teaching program. They have the hit the bottom of the rim shot perfected.
7-Her entire game has become something hard to understand. She was great in high school now she can't shoot, dribble, or make a free throw. I guess the Holly and Assistants program has gotten to her also.
8-The Holly teaching program always seems to take you from competent to incompetent in at least 15 games.

Reactions: Benionsopinion
I'd really like to know where Zaay Green has gotten better. 3 for 10 yesterday several turnovers. For the season 91 for 245 which is 37 percent. She is 17 for 82 from the three point like 20 percent. She has a shooting stroke that needs to be totally changed needs a lot of work. She hasn't seen a shot she doesn't like. Her dribbling is herky jerky and I think she should get a lot more traveling calls than are ever called on her. I haven't seen one area of improvement in her game from game one until today. To add Massengill has gotten far worse than she ever was in high school. She can no longer make a free throw or a 8 foot shot. She no longer has a three point shot and her dribbling and passing has went way down from when she played in high school. Burrell was a 40 percent three point shooter in high school now shooting 24 percent and only 32 percent for the season. She has no idea what to do with the ball when she gets it make bad decisions play after play. Collins played decently yesterday but she has a tendency to make bad decision as well. As a group they are like 37 percent from the field on close to 600 shots taken. If we really had a coaching staff that knew what to do each and everyone of these players would certainly have to change almost everything about their present game.
None are ever going to be any good at this level without a lot of changes to their present games. No one has worked with them to get better it is obvious.

When I said long time ago that Holly & Dawn are in the same level of coaching. I'll take that back, Dawn knows the game far from Holly and I Just watched her coached and saw how she won a lot of close tough games.

And she was truthful with the announcers before and after the game i need to play my two freshmen Destanni Henderson and Victaria Saxton. Saxton was ranked #47 in the 2018 class wow she can play good rebounder

Reactions: SCspur

Good post thank you ! i will add this to it

Will Westbrook and Davis ever make The NCAA All-America 1st or 2nd team ? ? I say no as long as Holly is there Davis has been passed by UK fr Rhyne Howard if you ask me Howard will be on the first team next year i think.

I'd really like to know where Zaay Green has gotten better. 3 for 10 yesterday several turnovers. For the season 91 for 245 which is 37 percent. She is 17 for 82 from the three point like 20 percent. She has a shooting stroke that needs to be totally changed needs a lot of work. She hasn't seen a shot she doesn't like. Her dribbling is herky jerky and I think she should get a lot more traveling calls than are ever called on her. I haven't seen one area of improvement in her game from game one until today. To add Massengill has gotten far worse than she ever was in high school. She can no longer make a free throw or a 8 foot shot. She no longer has a three point shot and her dribbling and passing has went way down from when she played in high school. Burrell was a 40 percent three point shooter in high school now shooting 24 percent and only 32 percent for the season. She has no idea what to do with the ball when she gets it make bad decisions play after play. Collins played decently yesterday but she has a tendency to make bad decision as well. As a group they are like 37 percent from the field on close to 600 shots taken. If we really had a coaching staff that knew what to do each and everyone of these players would certainly have to change almost everything about their present game.
None are ever going to be any good at this level without a lot of changes to their present games. No one has worked with them to get better it is obvious.

She only had 2 turnovers yesterday... and she did have 11 rebounds, which I thought was noteworthy.

Good post thank you ! i will add this to it

Will Westbrook and Davis ever make The NCAA All-America 1st or 2nd team ? ? I say no as long as Holly is there Davis has been passed by UK fr Rhyne Howard if you ask me Howard will be on the first team next year i think.

No way Howard is first team All-American next year. However, she has a real shot to make first team All-SEC this year over both Westbrook and Davis. At the current rate, I don't think either of them are deserving of first team honors, which is just sad. The improvement I was all excited about at the beginning of the year ended up being just a reflection of their cupcake schedule.

She only had 2 turnovers yesterday... and she did have 11 rebounds, which I thought was noteworthy.

Like i said i`m giving Burrell pass, look at her mins compare to the other players she don`t get the court time to shake off the rust. You have players ahead of her who have done nothing. I do agree with the rest of your post, The way Collins plays gets her into foul trouble right off the back. Also i`m shocked the staff has not worked with her on her shot. There is no way she can get that side shot off vs the better post players.

Like i said i`m giving Burrell pass, look at her mins compare to the other players she don`t get the court time to shake off the rust. You have players ahead of her who have done nothing. I do agree with the rest of your post, The way Collins plays gets her into foul trouble right off the back. Also i`m shocked the staff has not worked with her on her shot. There is no way she can get that side shot off vs the better post players.

Yeah I just wanted to point out Zaay only had 2 turnovers and did grab 11 rebounds. I really like her... she plays very passionately.

Reactions: mlindsay
IMHO, your last query is the only one worth mention. "Why there is still no cohesion on the court after 2/3 of a season?"

short answer/ IDK

VN Store

Back