Game Thread: Lady Vols Versus Vanderbilt

Actually I'd say those of us who are sick of seeing a below mediocre coach destroy this program are the "true fans" if that's really the card you want to play. Just like in politics some of you will blindly follow the the person with a D or R at the end of their name regardless if their position is harmful to your best interests or not. Like it or not the end is coming for Holly and there will be a huge celebration when it happens.

If you want to celebrate whenever a new coach is announced go for it. Celebrating having to part ways with a coach who has given most of her life to playing and coaching at UT will in fact make you a bad TRUE fan. Kind of akin to a lineman who can justify purposely whiffing on a block for the QB he does not like that the coaches put on the field, Might be better if the QB was not on the field, but for sure better off if the lineman is gone. But you have to block till the new recruit shows up...

Last edited:
Reactions: T_Vol376
You didn't ask me but my 2 cents anyway. For me its not really wanting winning or losing. Instead I want consistently sharp, focused, smart, well-coached, dialed-in teams who actually improve over the coarse of the season as both individuals and as a team. I want them to be at least competitive with elite teams. I want them to be fun to watch again. Kind of like our men's team for example, and like other elite women's teams.

I'm just not a fan of winning ultra-ugly. Of course its better than losing, but not much. It also completely removes us from any conversation as an elite team who actually competes for championships.

Appreciate the response but I would rather win ugly in any sport 😂 Vivian C. Stringer did it for years and Vic Schaffer won like that at A&M as an assistant along with up until last year at State.

I want a focused well coached group as well! Trust me... I think Westbrook has improved a lot but she still does things that remind me she is a sophomore (like feeling the need to take over a game when she has people around her to help). Zaay gives me glimpses then reminds me that she is a freshman 😂 I can see growth SOMEWHAT but it’s how we do in the games coming up and if they grew from all those close loses (and yes an UGLY UNEXCUSABLE loss to Bama) that will make me cheer or drop my head.

If we focus a little bit and hit layups things could improve vastly. The way we hit the glass tonight was encouraging. Zaay Green is impacting the game in a more mature way. KK showed some flashes of brilliance today, she’s looking way more mobile and some of her post moves were very strong. The players who needed to score, did. The next month of basketball will define this team, they either pull through and show some grit, or fold. No days off here on out.

The Lady's have 7 more games before the SEC Tournament, only two of those games, Vandy and Ole Miss, appear to be an easy win. They could possibly lose 5 of the seven, they might beat Auburn. They could be 17-12, or 18-11, I would think that they will have to win at least 2 , or 3, SEC Tournament games to be a lock to receive an NCAA bid. I think the fact that they have never missed an NCAA bid will play a major factor with the tournament selectors, however, if they can muster 20 wins they get a bid.
This is pretty spot on. Depending on who we beat, I guess will play as big of a factor as the number of wins. The women’s selections have been chosen more on a “name brand” for teams on the bubble.

If you want to celebrate whenever a new coach is announced go for it. Celebrating having to part ways with a coach who has given most of her life to playing and coaching at UT will in fact make you a bad TRUE fan. Kind of akin to a lineman who can justify purposely whiffing on a block for the QB he does not like that the coaches put on the field, Might be better if the QB was not on the field, but for sure better off if the lineman is gone. But you have to block till the new recruit shows up...

I get sick and tired of the "she's given her life to UT, she bleeds orange" bunch of b.s. spouted by Warlick's little sheep. She damn sure has been compensated by the university far more than she deserves so shut it with that crap. Not only will I celebrate when she's gone thousands more will too. Now if you want to be a Holly supporter that's your business but as for the majority of us we want her gone sooner than later.

I get sick and tired of the "she's given her life to UT, she bleeds orange" bunch of b.s. spouted by Warlick's little sheep. She damn sure has been compensated by the university far more than she deserves so shut it with that crap. Not only will I celebrate when she's gone thousands more will too. Now if you want to be a Holly supporter that's your business but as for the majority of us we want her gone sooner than later.

REXRODE from Nashville Tennessean...
“Bigger, stronger, faster Lady Vols handle Commodores is no longer a headline. It’s an assumption, and UT’s 82-65 win proved it correct again and made it 10 in a row for UT in the series. “

“ The real headline from Sunday is a lament: Lady Vols vs. Commodores should be better than this. “
Better level of play, better games, more interest. Sunday’s crowd (3815) was about two-thirds orange, no surprise. It also was easily the fewest fans I have seen here in three years. I guess no surprise there either. Warlick’s team still has a shot to be the first in program history to miss the NCAA Tournament.
If Tennessee continues re-branding itself as a good-not-great program..... but that’s not the idea. The idea is that Warlick -or her successor if a change is coming soon - gets the Lady Vols back to Elite!

Holly's performance has in fact put her job on the line and I have seen dang few posts that take exception with that. That can be addressed without childlike anger on message boards. We are not going to know if and when the decision by the AD is made, but you can bet it will be some time after that before it is publicly announced as replacement planning will be prioritized. Above all, whenever that day arrives it will be handled with class. That does not appear to be important to you and others, but it would be consistent with the values of the Lady she replaced and I think CPF will not stain her program by dealing with Holly or any coach where the issues are anything other than legal or moral any other way. There will be no public floggings on the hill and I know that may not sit well with those that reject moral victories but have no trouble featuring moral losses when it fits their narrative.

I hate that the program does not project an upward trend from where we are now, and frankly think this would be a good year to make a change with the majority of the squad being freshman and soph. and three ladies already signed, one the second ranked recruit in the land, if CPF would hold her to it. On the other hand it is possible that those highest on his short list may be attainable or affordable after next year and the losing streak caught him a bit off guard. We shall see the impact of the trends for the rest of the season. Bet he learned from the whole Petiitiongate experience a few years back that there can be a heavy price with national perception for making noise before the end of the season. We shall see.

It seems like every team we play can just drive to the basket with ease, number 2 for Vandy. Also, the read and react offense does not work. I liked how KK seems to have improved and love Zay and Mimi's hustle. Massengill gives almost nothing offensively and poor Rae just seems totally lost on both ends of the court

If i don`t play much i would be lost to. Holly needs to talk to SC head coach, Dawn Staley her two freshmen won the game for her last night.

I say amen to that !

Coach, you were way off on your prediction of a 35 point win for the LVs......These women would be lucky to win by 35 if there was not a full 5 member team playing against them....

At one point early in the game, we missed about a dozen in close shots...It's as if they had never shot a basketball before.

Pitiful.........

Coach, you were way off on your prediction of a 35 point win for the LVs......These women would be lucky to win by 35 if there was not a full team playing against them....

At one point early in the game, we missed about a dozen in close shots...It's as if they had never shot a basketball before.

Pitiful.........

I hear you GT.
I know most people want it to hit bottom so PF will be forced to make a decision, but i have a dog in the hunt and do not want the collapse to happen right now.
It's not the kids GT.
It is a "personality type" needed in the coaching mix.

I hear you GT.
I know most people want it to hit bottom so PF will be forced to make a decision, but i have a dog in the hunt and do not want the collapse to happen right now.
It's not the kids GT.
It is a "personality type" needed in the coaching mix.

You may be right, but I honestly don’t think that that “most people want it to hit bottom” to force a change. Now, if you’d said “most people worry that the program will have to hit bottom in order for PF to make a decision,” that may be true.

Holly's performance has in fact put her job on the line and I have seen dang few posts that take exception with that. That can be addressed without childlike anger on message boards. We are not going to know if and when the decision by the AD is made, but you can bet it will be some time after that before it is publicly announced as replacement planning will be prioritized. Above all, whenever that day arrives it will be handled with class. That does not appear to be important to you and others, but it would be consistent with the values of the Lady she replaced and I think CPF will not stain her program by dealing with Holly or any coach where the issues are anything other than legal or moral any other way. There will be no public floggings on the hill and I know that may not sit well with those that reject moral victories but have no trouble featuring moral losses when it fits their narrative.

I hate that the program does not project an upward trend from where we are now, and frankly think this would be a good year to make a change with the majority of the squad being freshman and soph. and three ladies already signed, one the second ranked recruit in the land, if CPF would hold her to it. On the other hand it is possible that those highest on his short list may be attainable or affordable after next year and the losing streak caught him a bit off guard. We shall see the impact of the trends for the rest of the season. Bet he learned from the whole Petiitiongate experience a few years back that there can be a heavy price with national perception for making noise before the end of the season. We shall see.

She has been paid most of her entire adult life by the University, they do not owe her anything more. If she was a volunteer so be it, she would deserve praise but she isnt and just like with any job, if I was to take it from heights the company was at into the toilet i would expect to be fired and just like her i would walk away with a golden parachute! Also with that petitiongate, funny you mention that because public perception goes away when you have the number 1 team in the land and the crappy coach you got rid of is now on his second job and isnt cutting it there either! Thank goodness we got rid of that clown of a coach and we now have a real coach and it most likely doesnt happen if not for petitiongate, and we very well could be sitting at 11-9 overall and 2-6 in SEC like oh Cuonzo is doing at Mizzou!

Reactions: JVol76

You are absolutely right, I could care less if it's handled with class, dignity or anything else just as long as it's handled. Sorry you think it's childlike anger, far from it, it's simply that we're tired of seeing this program driven into the ground by a coach that absolutely sucks. The day can't arrive soon enough that Holly Warlick is no longer stealing from the university of Tennessee.

If we focus a little bit and hit layups things could improve vastly. The way we hit the glass tonight was encouraging. Zaay Green is impacting the game in a more mature way. KK showed some flashes of brilliance today, she’s looking way more mobile and some of her post moves were very strong. The players who needed to score, did. The next month of basketball will define this team, they either pull through and show some grit, or fold. No days off here on out.
It was hard to watch....so many missed short shots

Reactions: VolBall09
Perhaps the team got out of their funk they were in. 15-7 now :). 82-65 win over Vandy. Maybe all hope isn’t lost....

This is pretty spot on. Depending on who we beat, I guess will play as big of a factor as the number of wins. The women’s selections have been chosen more on a “name brand” for teams on the bubble.
I would think they have to beat Vandy, Ole Miss and Auburn and one of the other four games along with at least 1 win in the SEC tournament. Of course you are correct that they could win less and bump another team based on the past, which is wrong. Regardless what happens, even if they lose them all, I think she gets next year.

You are absolutely right, I could care less if it's handled with class, dignity or anything else just as long as it's handled. Sorry you think it's childlike anger, far from it, it's simply that we're tired of seeing this program driven into the ground by a coach that absolutely sucks. The day can't arrive soon enough that Holly Warlick is no longer stealing from the university of Tennessee.

You are absolutely right as well, I think every aspect of the program should pass the PHS class and integrity check. Pat had to handle changes in the program as well and she did but it never included public ridicule. She may have pulled them off the floor, and those coming up short for sure risked THE stare, but you can bet the truth and he tough words would be shared in the most efficient professional way and she would have demanded of herself that it be handled with class, dignity, and EVERYTHING else. I am betting that it matters to CPF and should to anyone who truly values the program. Can you think of a time she ever abandoned her principals? Not even in her differences with Geno....

It was hard to watch....so many missed short shots

I agree it was hard to watch you hate to beat a dead horse but it all starts at the top and that is Holly. Not holding players accountable. One play i remember Meme throw a awful looking pass and it`s turn over in front of Holly. you would think she say something to Meme Nah ! not one word. can`t wait for this season to end and hope send her A** packing.

She has been paid most of her entire adult life by the University, they do not owe her anything more. If she was a volunteer so be it, she would deserve praise but she isnt and just like with any job, if I was to take it from heights the company was at into the toilet i would expect to be fired and just like her i would walk away with a golden parachute! Also with that petitiongate, funny you mention that because public perception goes away when you have the number 1 team in the land and the crappy coach you got rid of is now on his second job and isnt cutting it there either! Thank goodness we got rid of that clown of a coach and we now have a real coach and it most likely doesnt happen if not for petitiongate, and we very well could be sitting at 11-9 overall and 2-6 in SEC like oh Cuonzo is doing at Mizzou!

I don't know how you are determining that PUBLIC perception has changed...Maybe to those involved or sympathetic to the earler incidents. The Rece Davis words are still out there in the minds of the general public and they would love to take a shot AGAIN at our program now that we have attained the lofty heights. The mattress burning, petition signing reputation can be brought back up with an eating their own story featuring some words out of this or other boards with her banner being prominently featured along with multiple shots of her at PHS's side. I am not saying there is not a problem that needs to be addressed, but there are lots of ways to do that without portions of the loyal masses setting up the talking heads with factual low hanging fruit to offset the good works of the men. Possibly too late now....

Any predictions on the Mississippi St game ?

I would think they have to beat Vandy, Ole Miss and Auburn and one of the other four games along with at least 1 win in the SEC tournament. Of course you are correct that they could win less and bump another team based on the past, which is wrong. Regardless what happens, even if they lose them all, I think she gets next year.

How bout we win em all!

TN will beat MS by double digits

I don't know how you are determining that PUBLIC perception has changed...Maybe to those involved or sympathetic to the earler incidents. The Rece Davis words are still out there in the minds of the general public and they would love to take a shot AGAIN at our program now that we have attained the lofty heights. The mattress burning, petition signing reputation can be brought back up with an eating their own story featuring some words out of this or other boards with her banner being prominently featured along with multiple shots of her at PHS's side. I am not saying there is not a problem that needs to be addressed, but there are lots of ways to do that without portions of the loyal masses setting up the talking heads with factual low hanging fruit to offset the good works of the men. Possibly too late now....

Well, maybe you should watch the games, they havent mentioned it that i have seen at all during those games, do i think they will take shots when they lose, sure they will, but i also think Clown has shown he sucks at coaching and Cal was happy to get rid of him and I am sure that Mizzou will also be full of Mizzoury and want him gone soon enough also! Heck he only got the job as he hired the brothers dad to coach and neither have done him any good at all! So yeah, perception is pretty much gone because we have a real coach now that actually knows how to coach and if someone wants to say different Cuonzo has 93-61 record since he left and hopefully its about to get worse for him! He wanted to make it about race when it had more to do with he had a team full of good players that he let sleep walk through a season before barely getting into the tourney and making a run! I absolutely love watching his teams play, they look like they are a rec league team because he is about like Holly, doesnt know how to coach.

Coach, I don't think anyone of us want the team to lose, but, and that's a mighty Big BUT, it will take something dramatic to happen in a negative way, for Holly to leave, either on her own, or by an act of the administration.....It's a real catch 22 dilemma.......This product is not going to improve..

Either we have the worst skilled offensive players to ever wear a LV uniform, or their offensive skills are not being practiced under Holly's watch.....Even the LVs defensive abilities are comical....

Your dog in the hunt is waiting for the phone to ring so you can help...There may not be time...

I can understand your reluctance to really post how disgusted you really are with the product people are paying to see play basketball representing UT.....

The LVs play very ugly basketball....Very ugly.

VN Store

Back