2019 Season Predictions/Discussion

Gilbert

Punter U
We are now less than 2 weeks away from opening day. I just wanted to start a thread to discuss predictions, questions, expectations, lineups, roles, or anything else UT baseball related.

While we all want more, I think the minimum expectation/goal is to qualify for Hoover. Maybe even stay for more than a game. I think this is a must to take the next step (however small) for the program.

I feel pretty good about our pitching. I think we have more SEC quality arms on the roster than we’ve had in several years.

Some questions I have though: Will Linginfelter be a starter or game on the line reliever? Can he cut down on his walks and throw fewer pitches? Can Sean Hunley continue his freshman year success and push for weekend innings?

We have a core group of junior position players that have played a lot of baseball. They should only continue to get better. Can the jucos/freshmen competing for playing time give significant contributions? Will we be better defensively? Will we have more power this year?

I’m really looking forward to the season starting. I expect Hoover and hope for an outside shot at a regional. Feel free to add anything regarding the upcoming season. This is a catch all thread. I know the baseball forum doesn’t get a ton of traffic, but hopefully this thread can get some traction.

I’m excited for the season. We were really close to Hoover last year and we should be better defensively and pitching...depth and experience. Two new catchers that know what they are doing will be huge. Hitters will have to come alive and we still are lacking power in the lineup. As much as I hate to say it, small ball may be the key. UHGGGGG!!

as usual I'm always excited about the upcoming season with a few knowns and more unknowns...that's what makes it worth watching...to see what happens next...no expectations of any kind except for us to be competitive...simpler that way...:D

GO VOLS...RECRUIT LIKE HECK!

Reactions: NorCalVol67
I think the expectation has to be Hoover, a shot at a regional would be a big bonus. I would like to have a spot in Hoover wrapped up without having to sweat out the last weekend and worry about other games.

I am looking forward to the pitching as well.

there is nothing like a Saturday (last SEC game) nail biter..........I vividly recall the Miss State Saturday game a few years back

I think the expectation has to be Hoover, a shot at a regional would be a big bonus. I would like to have a spot in Hoover wrapped up without having to sweat out the last weekend and worry about other games.

I am looking forward to the pitching as well.

Agree, I would love to not have to sweat it out that last weekend. If the Mizzou penalties are upheld, it means the Vols only have to be better than one other team. That’s a more than reasonable expectation. And unless I’m missing somebody, only 2 starters were lost from last years team. And if we’re being honest with ourselves, upgrades could very easily take over in those spots.

Reactions: NorCalVol67
the only problem here is I think everyone else is getting better too.....we need Kentucky to keep falling and Georgia to become Georgia again.

Reactions: Titan05
Actually three starters lost but imo all the replacements are upgrades, two of them BIG upgrades. Last year we had Chinea or sometime Stapp at 3rd; Brodie in center; and he who must not be named at catcher. Brodie is the only one that would get a sniff this season. 1b, 2b, LF and DH may be different too but who knows.

Actually three starters lost but imo all the replacements are upgrades, two of them BIG upgrades. Last year we had Chinea or sometime Stapp at 3rd; Brodie in center; and he who must not be named at catcher. Brodie is the only one that would get a sniff this season. 1b, 2b, LF and DH may be different too but who knows.

How are you gonna get through the season with your favorite player Santiago not behind the plate?

Reactions: zachpack
Well, I’ve looked at the schedule several times and I have settled on a prediction of 35-21 overall and 15-15 in SEC play.

Reactions: Volsbaseballfan1
We are now less than 2 weeks away from opening day. I just wanted to start a thread to discuss predictions, questions, expectations, lineups, roles, or anything else UT baseball related.

While we all want more, I think the minimum expectation/goal is to qualify for Hoover. Maybe even stay for more than a game. I think this is a must to take the next step (however small) for the program.

I feel pretty good about our pitching. I think we have more SEC quality arms on the roster than we’ve had in several years.

Some questions I have though: Will Linginfelter be a starter or game on the line reliever? Can he cut down on his walks and throw fewer pitches? Can Sean Hunley continue his freshman year success and push for weekend innings?

We have a core group of junior position players that have played a lot of baseball. They should only continue to get better. Can the jucos/freshmen competing for playing time give significant contributions? Will we be better defensively? Will we have more power this year?

I’m really looking forward to the season starting. I expect Hoover and hope for an outside shot at a regional. Feel free to add anything regarding the upcoming season. This is a catch all thread. I know the baseball forum doesn’t get a ton of traffic, but hopefully this thread can get some traction.
I was feeling pretty good about the season until I saw the Baseball America Top 25 come out. Eight SEC teams in the top 25, including three in the top five. We play all but #2 LSU. The SEC is sure tough.

Reactions: Titan05
Looking forward to the season getting started for sure, I think realistically making it to Hoover and maybe winning the first round game is a good accomplishment for the squad this year. I really think Vitello is going to be a nice fit here and bring our program back around.

VN Store

Back