Some positives (Florida win)

madtownvol

A win….which can’t be taken for granted these days.

KK looked more mobile in the first half (though the latest knee tweak, hopefully nothing more than that, seemed to set her back a bit).

Nice see Meme back on the court and making some contributions. She was moving well so it looks like the ankle injury is not going to be a lingering problem. The LVs need her defense, shooting punch (when she is on) and all around energy. This game was a solid performance given that she had missed games due to injury.

Great effort from Rae. Her shots did not drop but she had a positive impact through hustle plays and she showed some desire and fight that the team has too often been lacking.

Mimi is looking more comfortable and composed.

Rennia seems to be out of her slump/funk.

Another great effort from Cheridene. She is not the most talented player around but she gets the most out of what she has to work with.

Evina, Evina, Evina. You can be great, tighten your game up. Learn when to hold and when to fold em….

Zaay and Jazmine had solid games. 10 pts. And 5 assists for Zaay and 12 pts and 3 steals for Jazmine. They made quiet contributions in the flow of the game. Maturing....

And again, a win….

Last edited:
Now people are grasping at positives. It was Fla and all this proved is that Tn is not much better than Fla. Pathetic

Reactions: Undercovervol
Now people are grasping at positives. It was Fla and all this proved is that Tn is not much better than Fla. Pathetic

"Not grasping." I am not hanging on for dear life based on how the LVs perform. I am a fan of the program. The LVs won and the board, in large reacts, not much differently than if they had lost (Just fewer overall posts). So, I thought well let's mix it up from the negavol vibe and point out some positive things that happened in the game.

So let me you ask, are so down on Holly that you can't be glad that Meme is back and playing (and allaying earlier concerns that this might be a serious injury)? Are you so down on Holly that you can't recognize that Rennia had a strong game and has bounced back from her slump? Are you so down on Holy that you are not happy to see that KK is getting over her knee injury. Are you so down on Holly that you can't appreciate the effort and desire that Rae displayed? Seriously, if it has gotten to the point where you can't tolerate someone supporting the players and taking some fan enjoyment from their play, then why the heck are you even following the LVs or commenting? Why not steer clear of the program until the apparent blight in your life is replaced.

Last edited:
Coach Summitt would love C. Green. I would love to see what Coach Summitt could have done with her.

I dunno know. I think Cheridene is playing at the upper limits of her ability; she has even added a decent jump shot to her game. Under CPS, much of her development would have been Dean (as it is now). I think the difference is the team around her would have been better and more cohesive but as an isolated case, she has definitely improved from her first season.

Last edited:
"Not grasping." I am not hanging on for dear life based on how the LVs perform. I am a fan of the program. The LVs won and the board, in large reacts, not much differently than if they had lost (Just fewer overall posts). So, I thought well let's mix it up from the negavol vibe and point out some positive things that happened in the game.

So let me you ask, are so down on Holly that you can't be glad that Meme is back and playing (and allaying earlier concerns that this might be a serious injury)? Are you so down on Holly that you can't recognize that Rennia had a strong game and has bounced back from her slump? Are you so down on Holy that you are not happy to see that KK is getting over her knee injury. Are you so down on Holly that you can't appreciate the effort and desire that Rae displayed? Seriously, if it has gotten to the point where you can't tolerate someone supporting the players and taking some fan enjoyment from their play, then why the heck are following the LVs or commenting? Why not steer clear until the apparent blight in your life is replaced.

Are you serious LMAO it`s Florida !

The maximum to hope for is we play well enough the rest of the season to win enough games to make the NCAA. That is all the hope thats left no player is improving at any dramatic rate from game one so not going to see very much improvement going forward. Reality is that between Westbrook, Z. Green, Massengill, and Jackson team was 8 of 31 from the field. 26 percent it happens quite a bit these players as a group can't shoot even 40 percent. Saving us from a nail biter and very humiliating defeat were Davis, Green, KK, and Collins who were 18 of 27 for 67 percent. We can talk about all the things this team does wrong but until some of these players learn how to basically shoot the ball a lot better were gonna suffer. At least the perimeter player took care of the ball better and made some effective passes in this game sometimes a rarity as well.
The hope was that by this time in the season the freshmen would not be freshmen anymore they would have a lot better understanding of their role and their skill development would be much improved. That hasn't happened so not expecting it to happen this season maybe in the off season or then again maybe never with Holly calling the shots.

Reactions: djtee

So let me you ask, are so down on Holly that you can't be glad that Meme is back and playing (and allaying earlier concerns that this might be a serious injury)? Are you so down on Holly that you can't recognize that Rennia had a strong game and has bounced back from her slump? Are you so down on Holy that you are not happy to see that KK is getting over her knee injury. Are you so down on Holly that you can't appreciate the effort and desire that Rae displayed? Seriously, if it has gotten to the point where you can't tolerate someone supporting the players and taking some fan enjoyment from their play, then why the heck are you even following the LVs or commenting? Why not steer clear of the program until the apparent blight in your life is replaced.
I can have the ability to appreciate and be critical at the same time; those things aren’t mutually exclusive. But that’s not the point people are making. We aren’t being “nega” Vols; we’re being honest about expectations and the overall woeful performance of this team this year AND last night. Careless turnovers, missed shots, poor defense, etc., against a bottom feeder Florida team should still be a cause for concern even with the win. Then when you consider the talent gap between Florida and UT...it just makes CHW look worse.

Reactions: TN1111 and djtee
ESPN headline is that Lady Vols come up strong on defense. What I saw was a Florida team that was even worse shooters than we are and couldn't make an unguarded layup. Rewatch the game count the layup opportunities they missed totally unguarded easy shots. Thankful they missed as even half of them made makes this a tie game going down the last couple minutes.

Reactions: TN1111
I can have the ability to appreciate and be critical at the same time; those things aren’t mutually exclusive. But that’s not the point people are making. We aren’t being “nega” Vols; we’re being honest about expectations and the overall woeful performance of this team this year AND last night. Careless turnovers, missed shots, poor defense, etc., against a bottom feeder Florida team should still be a cause for concern even with the win. Then when you consider the talent gap between Florida and UT...it just makes CHW look worse.

Exactly, these viewpoints are not mutually exclusive. But, we had an overwhelming number of post focusing on the negatives so I pointed out that the players provided some bright moments, even if it was just being glad they were getting healthy. My post was then framed as "grasping at straws" which is the comment I reacted to. Saying I am glad that Meme did not have a season ending injury, for example, is to my mind not grasping at straws nor is it a "The LVS are back!" premature celebration. So, I really don't understand what you are objecting to.

P.S.

The people I refer to as negavols are the one's who complain about any post that does not reiterate some variation on the "Fire Holly" theme. Well, that restriction also makes for a lot of redundancy. At this point, I think we all get that the LVs are underachieving under the current regime.

Last edited:
Are you serious LMAO it`s Florida !
Yeah, I am serious. Does the fact Fl was LV's opponent change anything about Meme being able to get back on the court or KK's knee improving or that Cheridene works her butt off during the game?

Are we now supposed to wish ill on the players because of frustrations over Holly?

I don’t find it consoling for the Lady Vols to make the tournament with no realistic shot to make it to the second weekend.

It’s nice to keep the record going but let’s be honest: this team is severely underachieving and has been for several years.

When is the last time we overachieved? Beating #4 USC on their home floor in 2017?

When is the last time we surpasssed expectations in the tournament?

Why are other teams growing?

What do they have that we don’t? Surely, not McDonald’s All-Americans!

Maybe the better question is, what, or who, do we have that they don’t???

I’ll let y’all simmer on that one.

I don’t find it consoling for the Lady Vols to make the tournament with no realistic shot to make it to the second weekend.

It’s nice to keep the record going but let’s be honest: this team is severely underachieving and has been for several years.

When is the last time we overachieved? Beating #4 USC on their home floor in 2017?

When is the last time we surpasssed expectations in the tournament?

Why are other teams growing?

What do they have that we don’t? Surely, not McDonald’s All-Americans!

Maybe the better question is, what, or who, do we have that they don’t???

I’ll let y’all simmer on that one.

All fair points but my question is this: Exactly, who do you think needs to let this information simmer? Why do you think the obvious points about the team''s underachieving are not widely recognized or accepted? Who exactly lacked "the honesty" to acknowledge that a 6 game losing streak is a blight on the program?

Who are these "need to simmer" fans who think things just couldn't be any better?

All fair points but my question is this: Exactly, who do you think needs to let this information simmer? Why do you think the obvious points about the team''s underachieving are not widely recognized or accepted? Who exactly lacked "the honesty" to acknowledge that a 6 game losing streak is a blight on the program?

Who are these "need to simmer" fans who think things just couldn't be any better?

There’s lots of people to hold accountable: the AD, fans and the media.

There is no accountability for what is occurring. Everyone has their head in the sand. I have emailed coaches. I have emailed the media. More people need to get involved and take action. It’s unacceptable.

The players, the program and Pat’s legacy deserve so much more.

There’s lots of people to hold accountable: the AD, fans and the media.

There is no accountability for what is occurring. Everyone has their head in the sand. I have emailed coaches. I have emailed the media. More people need to get involved and take action. It’s unacceptable.

The players, the program and Pat’s legacy deserve so much more.

Good for you in taking action. My only counterpoint is that the sports media coverage of LVs is all about how poorly the LVs are performing; how Holly is on the hot seat; and many writers are calling for a coaching change. Social media more of the same. Few, if any followers of the LVs have their head in the sand. I think it is more the complexity and risks that come from making a mid-season coaching change that is maintaining the status quo than masses of people failing to recognize that the LVs are near the bottom of the SEC.

Good for you in taking action. My only counterpoint is that the sports media coverage of LVs is all about how poorly the LVs are performing; how Holly is on the hot seat; and many writers are calling for a coaching change. Social media more of the same. Few, if any followers of the LVs have their head in the sand. I think it is more the complexity and risks that come from making a mid-season coaching change that is maintaining the status quo than masses of people failing to recognize that the LVs are near the bottom of the SEC.

Holly gets soft coverage. No reporter is grilling her about systemic issues with the program. The lack of player development. Offense. Defensive technique. Leadership. Ineffective use of timeouts. She’s allowed to side step a lot.

Why does UT haul in so many HS All-Americans who fail to reach the same honor at the collegiate level?

I am a longtime fan but it’s gotten to the point where it’s hard for me to even watch the team because the play is so bad. It’s not the losses that concern me. I can deal with losses. It’s the total lack of improvement. The on-court chemistry issues. The lack of fundamentals exhibited by upperclassmen. Those are the things that trouble me.

In addition to Holly, I want the AD and assistant coaches to be held accountable as well.

Holly gets soft coverage. No reporter is grilling her about systemic issues with the program. The lack of player development. Offense. Defensive technique. Leadership. Ineffective use of timeouts. She’s allowed to side step a lot.

Why does UT haul in so many HS All-Americans who fail to reach the same honor at the collegiate level?

I am a longtime fan but it’s gotten to the point where it’s hard for me to even watch the team because the play is so bad. It’s not the losses that concern me. I can deal with losses. It’s the total lack of improvement. The on-court chemistry issues. The lack of fundamentals exhibited by upperclassmen. Those are the things that trouble me.

In addition to Holly, I want the AD and assistant coaches to be held accountable as well.

The question I'd like to ask Holly is, "How many more times will you need to say in a post-game interview that 'I don't know what to do; I don't have the answers" before you realize that you are actually telling the world 'I am admitting that I am incompetent as a head coach'?"

Reactions: NoBackBoard
Back to the OP, I very much appreciate posts that can find something positive to discuss. We all wish the team were in a position where a win against a grossly inferior team wouldn't even be worth posting about, but these are different times. I was THRILLED that Jackson was back, and worried about Kasi. I feel like our Lady Vols are doing the best they can under some pretty grim circumstances. Maybe they'll get the help they need from SOMEwhere in time to finish strong!

Reactions: madtownvol

I saw a post on Twitter someone said it best and it`s true, Westbrook, Davis, and Meme can do no wrong on the court and Holly will look the other way. But when one of the other players take a bad shot turn the ball over she subs them out right away. This is why we are on the Bubble.

Fla sucked and these kids are not getting any better. oh and Holly sucks

VN Store

Back