Non-Lady Vol news 2018-19

Liz Cambage, Aussie center, wants out of the Dallas wings.
Possibly teams, NY, LA, Las Vegas. NY seems to be out of the mix and LA & Las Vegas have chances to snag her up.
Will be interesting to see how this ends up.

Brian Agler, Ex Sparks Coach, is currently Dallas wings coach and ex Wings coach, Fred Williams, is now an assistant to the Sparks. Cambage and Williams have a close relationship.

Reactions: JustaChicken
UConn AD won't rule out cutting some sports amid $40M budget gap
In an NCAA financial statement released Thursday, UConn reported that total generated revenue from sports last year totaled $40.4 million, while expenses came in at $80.9 million.
Football lost $8.7 million, men's basketball $5 million and women's basketball, a perennial power, had expenses that outpaced revenues by more than $3 million.
"Could this be trouble for the Lady's basketball team at Uconn."

UConn AD won't rule out cutting some sports amid $40M budget gap
In an NCAA financial statement released Thursday, UConn reported that total generated revenue from sports last year totaled $40.4 million, while expenses came in at $80.9 million.
Football lost $8.7 million, men's basketball $5 million and women's basketball, a perennial power, had expenses that outpaced revenues by more than $3 million.
"Could this be trouble for the Lady's basketball team at Uconn."

Doubt it will hurt their WBB program, if they over spent by only 3 million that means the other sports combined over spent by $37 million, football typically is the biggest offender. They SHOULD cut their football program, will they? Doubtful.

Reactions: cutiepie5
Big game tonight in Louisville tonight. I pick Uconn by 6 unless they have an off night shooting like at Baylor or foul trouble which they seldom get in foul trouble.

UConn goes down! They just don’t look like the same UConn teams of the last few years.
Great win and crowd for Louisville!
Largest crowd for a women’s game this year.
17.023 packed the arena. Oh, those were the days.
Asia Durr ain’t no joke. Sophomore Dana Evans came off the bench and lit it up! 5 threes off the pointers, she finished with 20.
Megan Walker, touted as the #1 player out of H.S. Last year, 7 points, 12 rebs.
Jeff Waltz is a pretty damn good coach. I really like how he gets his teams ready to play and how his team plays. Hard nose players!

•South Carolina16 defeat Kentucky19
Te’a Cooper - 17 points, 3 steals

•Unranked Cal defeat Stanford8
Game winner by Asha Thomas
Monster game for Kristin Anigwe.
25 points, 24 rebounds, 3 blocks

Miss State, Texas A&M, and Rutgers also get the W yesterday.

Anyone noticing the stellar job Mike Neighbors is doing at Arkansas?

In only his 2nd year, the Razorbacks are currently tied with Mizzou for 4th in the SEC at 5-3 (16-6 overall).

The lone McDonald’s All-American on the roster, Amber Ramirez, is sitting out this year after transferring from TCU. Talk about doing more with less...

Fans of the game will recall Mike led Washington to the 2016 Final Four behind the sharp shooting of Kelsey Plum.

Mike is one to keep an eye on and I see him owning the conference in the next 5 years once he gets better recruits.

Anyone noticing the stellar job Mike Neighbors is doing at Arkansas?

In only his 2nd year, the Razorbacks are currently tied with Mizzou for 4th in the SEC at 5-3 (16-6 overall).

The lone McDonald’s All-American on the roster, Amber Ramirez, is sitting out this year after transferring from TCU. Talk about doing more with less...

Fans of the game will recall Mike led Washington to the 2016 Final Four behind the sharp shooting of Kelsey Plum.

Mike is one to keep an eye on and I see him owning the conference in the next 5 years once he gets better recruits.
He already owns Holly on her home floor.

Big win for Michigan WBB (13-9, 4-6) over #13 Iowa, 90-81, bumping the Wolverines' RPI up 16 spots, to #59

Do you all think Jeff Waltz or other coaches could get better results with the team we are comprised of right now??
How do you think players may have changed if they were under another coach?

Do you all think Jeff Waltz or other coaches could get better results with the team we are comprised of right now??

Maybe not enough to beat the likes of ND, but he wouldn't be losing to Alabama, Arkansas, or Mizzou with this roster. They will be vulnerable to teams with dominant inside games no matter who is coaching them, but should own smaller teams.

The truth is we may be hurting for a couple of things we need on the team like a consistent post player that can defend and a couple players that are consistent three point shooters. I do believe our record with him and many other coaches would be about four games better. Were not a perfect team personnel wise, but we have enough talent to beat anyone in the SEC other than Miss St and we might give them a game in Knoxville with a better coach. The basic point is yes he could win more with the present team, but in the future he would build a team that was able to compete for the SEC and NCAA title. I have a list of coaches that could get us there because we'll never get him. He makes twice as much as Holly almost we'll never top that, but we can get someone better than her tomorrow.

Reactions: ksl415

Any coach worth their salt, thinks they cold do more.
I do.

Under another coach they would be theoretically used differently.

For me,,
I see two lineups for my 2 half-court "sets"

The high-post (Offense goes through the Point-Forward at the elbow)...for a traditional lineup on the floor

and

5F (5 Forwards...Power-forward, Baseline forward, Small Forward and two Guard Forwards.) with a speedier, all-tall lineup

Also, as a coach,
I put much more emphasis on "growth in/of their individual game" than this staff has shown me they do. I see athletes come in and leave, a little more beefy or toned, but with only slightly better, equal or diminished skills. (the truth hurts).

ergo
By virtue of different assignments for each set of coach's emphasis's and circumstances., players would undoubtedly change.

They would be more disciplined and fundamentally sound or be sent packing

•South Carolina16 defeat Kentucky19
Te’a Cooper - 17 points, 3 steals

•Unranked Cal defeat Stanford8
Game winner by Asha Thomas
Monster game for Kristin Anigwe.
25 points, 24 rebounds, 3 blocks

Miss State, Texas A&M, and Rutgers also get the W yesterday.
The weird thing is that Stanford's next game is..... Cal this Saturday. I don't think I have ever heard of playing the same team back to back in the regular season with a home and home.

The weird thing is that Stanford's next game is..... Cal this Saturday. I don't think I have ever heard of playing the same team back to back in the regular season with a home and home.

Stanford and Cal have played with that set up for a number of years. They call it the Battle of the Bay since they are cross town rivals.

Stanford and Cal have played with that set up for a number of years. They call it the Battle of the Bay since they are cross town rivals.

It’s big rivalry and bragging rights out here in the Bay for these teams.

This is a function of two aspects of the Pac 12 scheduling. First, the teams don't officially begin league games before the new year; and, second, Pac 12 teams are organized in pairs (e.g. Oregon State/Oregon; Cal/Stanford; USC/UCLA, etc.) for both home and away games on a Friday/Sunday schedule. For example, this week Colorado/Utah (one pair) play at Oregon and Oregon State (Utah at Oregon last night--a 22 point win for the Ducks, by the way over a very good Utah team--and then at OSU on Sunday, with Colorado playing OSU last night and Oregon on Sunday). The "pairs" also contain each school's traditional rival (although with Utah and Colorado that's a stretch): Oregon and Oregon State, Washington and Washington State, Stanford and Cal, USC and UCLA, Arizona and Arizona State. Since there are no traveling pairs involved during the week(s) a team plays its traditional rival (Cal vs. Stanford, for instance), it should take two weeks (and presumably not consecutive ones) to complete the home and home for each rivalry but that, in turn, would make the regular Pac 12 schedule a week longer than it is currently (9 weeks for 18 games). Completing the home and home in a single week avoids having to do that and so keeps the conference schedule at 9 weeks. (I hope this makes sense). Thus, for example, Oregon and Oregon State will play each other on 2/15 and 2/18 so that the regular conference pairing can resume for both teams on 2/22 and 2/24 when USC and UCLA (I believe) visit the Oregon schools. (They will play at Cal and Stanford next week.). Some coaches/teams have rescheduled one of the rivalry games to the week before the conference season begins to avoid playing back-to-back, but I believe doing so requires the approval of both schools and so has not been regularized across the conference. Overall, the traveling pair system works quite well imo, but probably not in the case of the traditional rivalry games.

Reactions: LVsinceJV
UConn shot 38.7 percent and Louisville 39.7 in the game the other day. The big difference in the game turned out to be three point shooting where Louisville made several more threes.

Reactions: VolBall09

VN Store

Back