ESPN’s Love Fest with Kentucky

Captain Mitch

Heup Train 🚂
Idk if any of you all caught the end of the Vandy Kentucky game but wow... they couldn’t stop slobbering all over Kentucky. They even made a comment about how Tennessee had to go to overtime with Vandy but not Kentucky. Also, they discussed how Coach Cal has to be Coach of the Year saying how hard his job is...

Idk if any of you all caught the end of the Vandy Kentucky game but wow... they couldn’t stop slobbering all over Kentucky. They even made a comment about how Tennessee had to go to overtime with Vandy but not Kentucky. Also, they discussed how Coach Cal has to be Coach of the Year saying how hard his job is...

Not buying COY but Kentucky has certainly gotten a lot better as the season has progressed. They will be a handful.

Well, Kentucky did struggle with Vandy at home on the 12th (56-47 but it was close throughout). Vandy is poorly coached and they have quit on this season after losing our game last week.

There's another discussion about a similar topic in another thread, but ESPN appeals to a mass audience. Kentucky, along with schools like Duke, UNC, Kansas, etc. are nationally-recognizable brands well-known to a mass audience.

At least ESPN was slobbering all over Kentucky during an actual Kentucky game. During the Kentucky/Auburn game the other night, they were slobbering all over Zion Williamson. They couldn't even call a Kentucky game without mentioning him and Duke.

He should be COY because his entire team full of 5 stars is finally playing good? They should be playing good.

Well, Kentucky did struggle with Vandy at home on the 12th (56-47 but it was close throughout). Vandy is poorly coached and they have quit on this season after losing our game last week.
I also don't remember us losing to Bama.

I also don't remember us losing to Bama.
I remember Kentucky beating Kansas.

Get over it. Kentucky is playing really well right now. They’re bragging about them. Tennessee is playing really well. They’re bragging about them. Duke is playing really well. They’re bragging about them. UVA, Michigan, same thing. Tennessee is on the top of the front page of ESPN’s college basketball page. Get over the inferiority complex

I remember Kentucky beating Kansas.

Get over it. Kentucky is playing really well right now. They’re bragging about them. Tennessee is playing really well. They’re bragging about them. Duke is playing really well. They’re bragging about them. UVA, Michigan, same thing. Tennessee is on the top of the front page of ESPN’s college basketball page. Get over the inferiority complex
they beat Kansas, at home, with one of Kansas starters missing/injured from when we played them.

not complaining here, just pointing out facts. no need to get so aggressive.

Reactions: -GiveHim6-
In the spirit of OP, it did irk me the first time I turned on ESPN after Tennessee got the #1 ranking, they brought it up and I was thinking "oh cool, they're going to talk up Tennessee". The first thing the did was ask Jay Williams if UT should be #1 and he said "no" and started talking about Duke as they cued up the Zion highlights.

In the spirit of OP, it did irk me the first time I turned on ESPN after Tennessee got the #1 ranking, they brought it up and I was thinking "oh cool, they're going to talk up Tennessee". The first thing the did was ask Jay Williams if UT should be #1 and he said "no" and started talking about Duke as they cued up the Zion highlights.
You gotta remember that a lot of CBB people see Tennessee being #1 like CFB people viewed Miss St as #1 2014.

Meaning they see it as yes, the ranking is probably currently deserved, but many people don't think they're actually the best team, won't win the title, or perhaps not even make the Final Four. Nobody thought Miss St would play for the national title, or even win the SEC West, when they were ranked #1. It's because they still had to play Alabama and Ole Miss (also then a top 5 team), actually ended up losing to both, and even ended up losing their BCS bowl. Plus Miss St football, like Tennessee basketball, isn't a traditional power. It just makes it easier to be skeptical.

For someone like Jay Williams, brought up in a blue blood program, to instinctively "well yeah but how about Duke" is totally expected. It's like a CFB analyst saying, on the day Miss St was ranked #1, to say "well yeah but how about Alabama."

I was in an elevator with a group of Kentucky fans back during football season. Day of the game. Heading to the game. This was after the abysmal showing the week before against Charlotte. Got to say, at that point in the season, I didn't have any confidence that Tennessee would even hang in that game, so I blurted out "Wait until basketball season"..
Spoiler alert: We beat the hell out of them, so my stupid blurt wasn't necessary.
Fast forward to this thread. My feeling about playing them in basketball is now the same as it was in that elevator. They ARE playing good. Thank goodness we play them twice. Hope the results are the same as football.

Sidebar: LSU is playing good now too. Watch out in Baton Rouge!!

You gotta remember that a lot of CBB people see Tennessee being #1 like CFB people viewed Miss St as #1 2014.

Meaning they see it as yes, the ranking is probably currently deserved, but many people don't think they're actually the best team, won't win the title, or perhaps not even make the Final Four. Nobody thought Miss St would play for the national title, or even win the SEC West, when they were ranked #1. It's because they still had to play Alabama and Ole Miss (also then a top 5 team), actually ended up losing to both, and even ended up losing their BCS bowl. Plus Miss St football, like Tennessee basketball, isn't a traditional power. It just makes it easier to be skeptical.

For someone like Jay Williams, brought up in a blue blood program, to instinctively "well yeah but how about Duke" is totally expected. It's like a CFB analyst saying, on the day Miss St was ranked #1, to say "well yeah but how about Alabama."

That's the only comparison I can see between the two. We won the SEC, returned everybody, beat #1 Gonzaga at a neutral court, and have been top 7 all year. When Miss St was #1, it came out of nowhere.

That's the only comparison I can see between the two. We won the SEC, returned everybody, beat #1 Gonzaga at a neutral court, and have been top 7 all year. When Miss St was #1, it came out of nowhere.
Agreed.

MSU hit a perfect storm in 14' (similar to UK this year) until they got to Bama and Ole Miss. Bama had already lost a game, LSU, AU, and A&M were mediocre.
The foundation for why UT is currently at the pinnacle of college basketball is built on a more substantial footing that many saw building all the way back to last year.

Reactions: SolidRockGolf
Y’all are aggressive sometimes 😂 All I was bringing up was the fact that I feel like the narrative is that we some how made it to the #1 ranking by accident and that we are good but not great. Kentucky will be a fight, once again not saying they won’t, but it just seemed like it was a narrative that continues to push Kentucky basketball

VN Store

Back