Dabo Swinney

GBOplayer

I know this question does really belong on this forum, but I didn't know where else to post this question. With all the success that Dabo has had at Clemson (he is essentially to 2nd best coach in CFB behind Saban), why has he never been considered for NFL coach positions? Every other successful young head coach or any successful college head coach has always become candidates for NFL head coaching jobs. For some reason, NFL teams have stayed away from Dabo despite all this success.

I know this question does really belong on this forum, but I didn't know where else to post this question. With all the success that Dabo has had at Clemson (he is essentially to 2nd best coach in CFB behind Saban), why has he never been considered for NFL coach positions? Every other successful young head coach or any successful college head coach has always become candidates for NFL head coaching jobs. For some reason, NFL teams have stayed away from Dabo despite all this success.
I would be willing to bet that he has been contacted to gauge interest. He seems to be very happy in college.

Reactions: feathersax
Not really sure it is fair to say that NFL teams have stayed away from him.

He may have talked to several teams in private. If I were him I certainly would not want my current team to know that I am talking about leaving.

Reactions: Remy and alaVOL
I can think of a few that haven't been pursued by NFL teams actually. Not sure Miles was ever reached out to during his time as a successful coach. Meyer probably got calls but I don't remember any.

Not really sure it is fair to say that NFL teams have stayed away from him.

He may have talked to several teams in private. If I were him I certainly would not want my current team to know that I am talking about leaving.

I don't know how much he's getting paid (I'm sure it's a **** ton) but he might want them to know so they would give a pay raise

I'm not sure I'd say he's #2, I believe he's #1. He's turned Clemson into a peer with Alabama without the history resources etc that Bama has.

Meh he's done it in a junk conference that's at it's lowest point. He literally can cruise to the playoffs right now. If Miami and fsu ever get back then let's see what he does. He wouldn't make the playoffs 4 years in the sec West

Question. I once heard that 'Dabo' the name came from Dat Boi. When they were picking for teams in the neighborhood, he was small and no one could remember his name so they would point to him and say "Give me dat boi."

True?

Last edited:
iirc probably now waiting to see how Kingsbury does in the NFL -- since guys like Saban, Petrino and Spurrier didnt work out very good

Meh he's done it in a junk conference that's at it's lowest point. He literally can cruise to the playoffs right now. If Miami and fsu ever get back then let's see what he does. He wouldn't make the playoffs 4 years in the sec West
Epic.

For it’s stupidity of course

I don't think Dabo would be successful in the NFL. He's slowly built a family-like atmosphere and culture at Clemson that has allowed him to get top-notch recruits, develop players well, and retain some of the best assistant coaches in the nation. He wouldn't have that in the NFL.

In the NFL, outscheming your opponents is more critical. You also need a great front office. Dabo isn't known as a top-notch strategist and most NFL teams that are hiring new coaches have issues in the front office. He'd be a mediocre NFL head coach. He's much better off in college.

Reactions: 05_never_again

Imagine what would happen if he had to coach and play against Alabama. Oh wait.

Ignorant is bliss. Surely y'all aren't saying that sleep walking thru a weak conference isn't beneficial. Not being beat up and having to grind week in week out is huge. Hell tamu had them beat till they got screwed at the end. Y'all are making to much of one game. I like dabo and think he is one of the best currently but yeah when your hardest conference game in the regular season is playing an 8-4 Pitt in the championship that speaks volumes

The ACC May be garbage right now but he has built Clemson into a team that would compete in the SEC every year.

The maddening thing is he has done it by landing players that would have come to TN if we had a coach worth a damn.

Ignorant is bliss. Surely y'all aren't saying that sleep walking thru a weak conference isn't beneficial. Not being beat up and having to grind week in week out is huge. Hell tamu had them beat till they got screwed at the end. Y'all are making to much of one game. I like dabo and think he is one of the best currently but yeah when your hardest conference game in the regular season is playing an 8-4 Pitt in the championship that speaks volumes

Of his brilliance.

Dabo fell into the opportunity of a lifetime, tapped the textile-Equifax monies and, remarkably, Clemson’s athletic department is one of the few among the nearly 350 in D1s that does not need millions in student fees or university support to pay its bills.

I was there in 2001. It was a farm field with a building here and a building there.

Since 2013, they have succeeded in building a fundraising machine that has been able to leverage on-the-field success into unprecedented amounts of money for athletics. Out of state (rich kids) enrollment has doubled. It just really boils down to how big and how much of a reach a school wants to have through athletics.

You can take shots at Dat Boi all you want but Clemson had a "we have nowhere to go but up" mentality and threw that attitude at their entire academic and athletic situation.

Somehow, we lost that edge.

you are so right.....they beat Auburn last year and I think they played Alabama this season as well, did they not?...what insight you have

do you know something that we don't know? I've never heard of this or do you just like to make people look bad?
When the WR from Oak Ridge committed to Clemson, it was reported he was seen driving a nice car shortly after the announcement. I have no idea if that is true or not, but there seemed to be credible accounts of that at the time.

iirc probably now waiting to see how Kingsbury does in the NFL -- since guys like Saban, Petrino and Spurrier didnt work out very good

Kelly more recently didn't either. It's not an automatic easy transition. There's a big difference in managing kids in college when you call their mamas and daddies in to the office to side with the coach to get the players attention as one example. The other end of that spectrum is a 29 or 30 year old 4 time Pro Bowl selection is going to listen to you why?

Dabo has a great situation going. I hope we can get our train out of the station soon and compete with the best in the not to distance future.

VN Store

Back