Who can beat us?

Looking at our schedule and any tournament run, every team we play has the ability to beat us. I can't wait to see how we finish the drill.

First, I am not an expert on basketball. Just a fan of the game who tries to study what I see in every game. (boring way to watch I guess). To me we are not playing a very aggressive style of defense. The guy's seem to be more concerned with not fouling than being very aggressive. The drive type of offense and one on one (street ball) approach have started working too often. Which to me is caused by us not being very aggressive working to stop this type offense. I know, with us playing tougher on this type offense it will leave the three open. So what, the three will be open in most offensives some of the time. I had rather a guy shooting threes at a pace of around 30-40% with no one in his face, trying to get a shot off before someone gets there (as they will be coming) and hurrying toward shooting 20-30%, than a guy driving, making a shot and/or getting fouled as seem to happen on most of these plays. Not just in Tennessee games, but all games. The "stripe shirts" are going to call it most of the time whether there is a foul or not. I guess they think the foul call ( committed or not) is the penalty for not stopping the drive before it starts.

Seems like we struggle sometimes when switching on ball screens and then allowing a drive to the basket. When we help on D, it leaves the corner 3 open.

This is the answer to most of the recent struggles defensively.

Luckily, with coaching adjustments and discipline we can get that fixed. But I’d like to see that happen sooner than later.

Tennessee shoots 3s way too much. Should go inside with the big guys more. Any games that the refs want to be the center of attention will be bad for us. So 3 point shooting and fouls are a big worry.

Depends on which Tennessee team shows up. The one that has been jacking up threes without getting a touch in the paint first can lose to a lot of teams, but a hot night from a team like Auburn could be tough to match if we try to keep up in a three point shooting contest. We have to go back to running our offense inside out, unless a three is wide open there is no reason we should be shooting one without getting Grant or Kyle the ball in the paint first. Also, it seems like Admiral has forgotten that part of the court exist.

Reactions: minorvol
Tennessee shoots 3s way too much. Should go inside with the big guys more. Any games that the refs want to be the center of attention will be bad for us. So 3 point shooting and fouls are a big worry.
We're 330 out of 353 in 3 point attempts. If we shot any fewer it would be harder to get open looks inside.

Reactions: feathersax
It seems like a team with a really athletic wing/guard who can create his own shot can give us matchup problems. In the games we have struggled, players like Saben Lee and John Petty both flourished with amazing games. We have a great defense but we just have problems guarding these type of players and breaks down our defense. That's why I'm concerned about the bracket projections placing us in the same region as a team like a 12 seed Murray State (who happens to have one of the best guards in the NCAA) where we could possibly be upset in the second or third round.

So far only teams that shoot 10 to 20 3 point shots and hit over 50% are giving us match up problems. Anyone who doesn't is going down by 20. Bama kid hit 5 in a row and Vanderbilt hit 3 consecutive 3 pointers 3 times during that game. The only way to match that is to do the same or take it inside. Either way the outcome is going to be close.

In the SEC I think LSU is a tough matchup for us. The best way to hurt them offensively is either force them to turn it over or prevent them from getting 2nd Chance Opps. Neither of those things we do well. And when both Naz and their other big is in the game that’s a lot of length in the paint,

Reactions: Dtj64

VN Store

Back