How Fulmer aims to solve falling football attendance

I'm going to try to Steve Martin this, meaning suggest wild and crazy ideas.

1. Have designated family only sections that encourage bringing kids without enduring drunken, drink spilling, cussing bozos.
2. Widen seats so people aren't squeezed or forced out of theirs by humanoid whales.
3. Have sections wifi-linked so certain categories of fans can order drinks and beverages via text order. Must have a phone app activated for fans with tickets for that section by ticket scanners that activate the app for that game day. Deactivated next day.
4. Have lucky tickets similar to lottery tickets where each quarter a fan wins one of the following and the winner is flashed on the jumbotron: Set of Vols dishes. Authentic Vols football. Ticket to the next game. An on-campus designated free parking spot for the next game. Invitation to the team dressing room, with pictures taken with named players. A seat right behind the team's sideline. Free hotel room to the next home game. Participation in the Vol Walk with the players. Free family meal at one of the restaurants near the university. A puppy sired by Smokey. Run through the "T" with the team. $100 shopping spree at a local grocery store or Volshop.

Last edited:
Wifi throughout the stadium. Schools are already going to it, it's the future.

Interactive Neyland Stadium App(which offers the following):
-Access to an interactive player roster - You see a player do something great or something awful you type in their player number and it brings up their info.
-Maps for all parking locations and prices for all parking locations, it could also tell you if parking is full or not.
-Vending locations - Click on the location and it tells you what they sell and how much each item is. It could also tell you if they are sold out of an item or if they're closed.
-Concourse camera views - Find out how long the line is at your favorite vending spot and/or bathroom before you even get out of your seat.
-In-Seat delivery service
-Contact security or medical - It allows you to either report if you need help or report if you see someone else needs help.
-Cheerleader Camera View?

Season long souvenir cups - Cuts down on plastic and trash.

Love these ideas. Very practical, I hope it happens cause it just makes plain sense.

Here's a different look at it. I'm 61. My generation grew up with listening to football on the radio and then as adults we couldn't wait to go to get season tickets and go to games. It was special. There was one or two college games a week on TV. Going to a game was a surreal experience. Plus we grew to love a game that's administered much differently than the game now. No situational rules, no lengthy replays to overturn calls, no highly technical definitions of catches and such. Heck, in my college years games were over in 2 1/2 hours. Now we are getting older. The generations behind us grew up with a lot more things to entertain them and as much football of TV as they would ever want. So there are less people to backfill us as fans. Speaking for myself, I started losing interest in the sport about 6 years ago. Mostly because I started to find the game unwatchable based on the game I learned to love. So much that I stopped getting season tickets and going to the games. Now, I hardly watch any football anymore. Plus, as I age time is precious. Spending a day at a game or watching it on TV wastes away too much of this remaining time when I can still be active. I wish the football world luck in revitalizing attendance. But I don't think they will succeed. I personally believe it will get worse as us boomers fade away.

Wifi throughout the stadium. Schools are already going to it, it's the future.

Interactive Neyland Stadium App(which offers the following):
-Access to an interactive player roster - You see a player do something great or something awful you type in their player number and it brings up their info.
-Maps for all parking locations and prices for all parking locations, it could also tell you if parking is full or not.
-Vending locations - Click on the location and it tells you what they sell and how much each item is. It could also tell you if they are sold out of an item or if they're closed.
-Concourse camera views - Find out how long the line is at your favorite vending spot and/or bathroom before you even get out of your seat.
-In-Seat delivery service
-Contact security or medical - It allows you to either report if you need help or report if you see someone else needs help.
-Cheerleader Camera View?

Season long souvenir cups - Cuts down on plastic and trash.
All of those are great, forward looking ideas. I think they should do whatever it takes to bring the fan experience into the 21st century. I especially like the idea of a babe cam. But, that's just my toxic masculinity because I haven't shaved, yet. And, probably won't.
kindle HD8 text editor sux.

Last edited:
"Announced attendance"gave it away as an NS link. That means the article is likely exaggerated if not false.

If you win, they will come.
Correct. 77k for what was essentially an OVC team that everyone knew was either gonna struggle with Charlotte or get embarrassed vs Bama ain’t too bad. But put an actual SEC team on the field again that has an actual chance to be competitive with Florida and Georgia and I fully believe Neyland will fill to capacity again. Only question is will we see that type of Tennessee team ever again? I personally doubt it, so they probably should look at renovations that reduce the capacity to 90-95k imo.

I think this is a continuous problem that even winning doesn’t solve entirely. A few things that keep me from the stadium are:

1) no beer, or at least immediate access...

2) watching on a 50-70” tv during timeouts I can run to the fridge, workout or get other stuff done

3) seats. Sorry metal planks...SUCK... put in seats, might take capacity down but I’d certainly prefer sitting/ standing for 3 hours with a more comfortable option if I’m going to leave my comfy couch

4) parking... I paid 80 bucks to park at the church sucks to to be robbed by Jesus

5) too long, tv timeouts suck, I can watch 3 games at home

IMO, Fulmer should go to see what the Chicago Cubs did with Wrigley Field and what the Dodgers did with Dodger Stadium whereas they took an old structure (a la Neyland) and modernized it.

A major problem with spending $4-500 million on Neyland is that it's only used 7-8 times per year. If Knoxville would reduce it's entertainment tax they could host soccer games, concerts, etc.

Reactions: tbh and Behr
IMO, Fulmer should go to see what the Chicago Cubs did with Wrigley Field and what the Dodgers did with Dodger Stadium whereas they took an old structure (a la Neyland) and modernized it.

A major problem with spending $4-500 million on Neyland is that it's only used 7-8 times per year. If Knoxville would reduce it's entertainment tax they could host soccer games, concerts, etc.

You mean you don't think we should just shrink Neyland because we suck now and most likely won't ever have a Tennessee team that actually has a chance to at least compete against Florida and Georgia...EVER?

*Off Topic: You Cold? Haha.

Reactions: chargervol
I think this is a continuous problem that even winning doesn’t solve entirely. A few things that keep me from the stadium are:

1) no beer, or at least immediate access...

2) watching on a 50-70” tv during timeouts I can run to the fridge, workout or get other stuff done

3) seats. Sorry metal planks...SUCK... put in seats, might take capacity down but I’d certainly prefer sitting/ standing for 3 hours with a more comfortable option if I’m going to leave my comfy couch

4) parking... I paid 80 bucks to park at the church sucks to to be robbed by Jesus

5) too long, tv timeouts suck, I can watch 3 games at home

Good list, but I don't understand #5.

The real problem is it's not just a "UT thing," it's a problem across the country at a vast majority of all sporting events.
It's just too comfortable at home. I still try to make one game in Knoxville each year and one/two Austin Peay games.

Maybe I'm old fashioned, but "modernizing" stadiums for ultimate fan experiences doesn't matter to me. When I'm at a game, I'm not walking around saying how pretty and cool everything is.............I'm watching the game and enjoying the crowd and atmosphere. Still takes me back to when I was a kid. Always will.

I'm going to try to Steve Martin this, meaning suggest wild and crazy ideas.

1. Have designated family only sections that encourage bringing kids without enduring drunken, drink spilling, cussing bozos.
2. Widen seats so people aren't squeezed or forced out of theirs by humanoid whales.
3. Have sections wifi-linked so certain categories of fans can order drinks and beverages via text order. Must have a phone app activated for fans with tickets for that section by ticket scanners that activate the app for that game day. Deactivated next day.
4. Have lucky tickets similar to lottery tickets where each quarter a fan wins one of the following and the winner is flashed on the jumbotron: Set of Vols dishes. Authentic Vols football. Ticket to the next game. An on-campus designated free parking spot. Invitation to the team dressing room, with pictures taken with named players. A seat right behind the team's sideline. Free hotel room to the next home game. Participation in the Vol Walk with the players. Free family meal at one of the restaurants near the university. A puppy sired by Smokey. Run through the "T" with the team. $100 shopping spree at a local grocery store or Volshop.

I like the lottery idea. Let the fan decide the prize they get. Getting to visit the locker room or run thru the T would top my list. Getting a backstage pass to a Vol game would be nice. It might keep tickets from being sold to enemy(Exaggeration) fans.

I still enjoy the game day experience. There is plenty of hassle to leave the house for any reason, but the hassle is worth it to me when it comes to watching the Vols play.

Winning is more fun than losing. I’ve been to a few Florida and Bama games and have only witnessed 2 wins. 2016 Fl and the 5OT win at Bama, other than the Miracle, the rest of the games I’ve attended have been routine wins or unfortunate losses.

There are only so many Vol Football events, I still have the itch to attend as many as possible.

Good list, but I don't understand #5.
The entire day.... if it’s a 4:00 game I show up at 2:00 or earlier to get parked and get to the volwalk which means I was getting ready around noon, TV games take forever with far to much wait time for tv timeouts, games not over til 7-7:30... climb a mountain back to the car... 8:00, home by 9:00 with traffic. The entire day is gone. That means my entire Sunday is spent lesson planning and going to church, weekend is over.

I can watch at home, do work at the same time and keep up on several other games and instead of dedicating 9 hours to one thing I can spend 3 on everything and still spend time with family and friends.

Tv and the endless coverage is killing stadiums like Neyland.... have to make the atmosphere more inviting than home

You mean you don't think we should just shrink Neyland because we suck now and most likely won't ever have a Tennessee team that actually has a chance to at least compete against Florida and Georgia...EVER?

*Off Topic: You Cold? Haha.

Yes, it is chilly! My parents arrived yesterday from LC and I'm blaming them for bringing the cold weather. :)

Back on topic...any modernization would most likely reduce capacity. I'm not sure when the last time you were in Neyland but it is cramped...but that's part of its charm. Screw it....just leave the place along!

Reactions: SoFloVFL
The entire day.... if it’s a 4:00 game I show up at 2:00 or earlier to get parked and get to the volwalk which means I was getting ready around noon, TV games take forever with far to much wait time for tv timeouts, games not over til 7-7:30... climb a mountain back to the car... 8:00, home by 9:00 with traffic. The entire day is gone. That means my entire Sunday is spent lesson planning and going to church, weekend is over.

I can watch at home, do work at the same time and keep up on several other games and instead of dedicating 9 hours to one thing I can spend 3 on everything and still spend time with family and friends.

Tv and the endless coverage is killing stadiums like Neyland.... have to make the atmosphere more inviting than home
Barcaloungers and foot massages? It's a football game. Enjoy the game and atmosphere. just saying.;)

That entertainment tax has done more to hurt the local economy than help it.

The real problem is it's not just a "UT thing," it's a problem across the country at a vast majority of all sporting events.
It's just too comfortable at home. I still try to make one game in Knoxville each year and one/two Austin Peay games.

Maybe I'm old fashioned, but "modernizing" stadiums for ultimate fan experiences doesn't matter to me. When I'm at a game, I'm not walking around saying how pretty and cool everything is.............I'm watching the game and enjoying the crowd and atmosphere. Still takes me back to when I was a kid. Always will.

I'm like you on being old fashion, if that's how you wanna describe it. But obviously you know they have to make it attractive to everyone.

I'm glad someone brought up winning, can't forget that. Seriously, whether we all agree that Phil and Pruitt are doing their best at trying to bring the wins, I'm sure they believe they are.

I think its a good thing they're paying attention.

Reactions: peaygolf

I agree with all of this. Only reason I go to games is to enjoy the atmosphere and pageantry of college football... sadly it also reminds me of why I don’t want to come back for a year too.

Use to be we HAD to go to the stadium to see the game, now it is more than available via tv, device... why fight traffic, crowds, unload your wallet and have to schedule a chiropractor visit if you can enjoy it just as much at home?

Everyone here doesn't seem to be in touch with reality.....the real eason. I used to have season tickets and can name 25 close friends that had them too. None of us have them now. Why? Price. The ticket prices along with that crazy donation required is out of reach for the masses of working America.

All my friends dropped their's over the years because of price. We would still go if they had a break even record but we cant. The people that love football can't go. That's why you see stadium downsizing. They are using the space to build pricy suites so those few with a lot of money might be attracted to the game. True fans are having to sit at home and watch even though a lot would like to experience being at the game.

I'm just not going to pay what is required to go. I am a manager of a Fortune 500 store and if I can't afford to go what percent of the population is like me? We are at the point that, I think, many sports that football has to support must be dropped. If tv revenues start decreasing then colleges are in trouble because the majority of the population are priced out of the game, literally!! I can pay my property taxes for a year for what six tickets currently cost. We are at the point of no return, I am afraid. I can't see universities cutting prices 50 percent.

VN Store

Back