Kara Lawson ESPN !

djtee

Good for her she let everyone know how she felt about Westbrook decision making at time. And i could tell in her voice she was not happy at all. Why Why !

Reactions: RollerVol and jim43
Westbrook isn't and will never be the true definition of a point guard. Holly made that concession to her to get her to Tennessee in the first place. Plenty of other coach would've done that also, but then convinced her that her best position is the two guard. She is probably our best three point shooter thanks to Barnes and she certainly would be on a better position to take perimeter shots on either side of the court. She needs to be shooting more perimeter shots and being a two guard would certainly be the best position to accomplish that. The two would mean less decision making which would help the team as she has not developed as a decision maker.

Westbrook isn't and will never be the true definition of a point guard. Holly made that concession to her to get her to Tennessee in the first place. Plenty of other coach would've done that also, but then convinced her that her best position is the two guard. She is probably our best three point shooter thanks to Barnes and she certainly would be on a better position to take perimeter shots on either side of the court. She needs to be shooting more perimeter shots and being a two guard would certainly be the best position to accomplish that. The two would mean less decision making which would help the team as she has not developed as a decision maker.

I agree and when Holly brings Massengale into the game the offense stalls because now you have two players trying or playing the pg spot.

Reactions: Volfan2012
was it after the game. I was at the arena, I haven't watched the telecast yet.

No it happen during the game on a play when Tenn was still in the game early 3rd Westbrook tried to make a pass from top of the key. and Kara said see why why even try to make a pass like that why. better yet if you ask me it was a stupid pass to even attempt.

No it happen during the game on a play when Tenn was still in the game early 3rd Westbrook tried to make a pass from top of the key. and Kara said see why why even try to make a pass like that why. better yet if you ask me it was a stupid pass to even attempt.

Evina's got game, and she know you have to "risk it to get the biskit"
People have to understand that she is not showboating.
She obviously practices these things.
Don't slow her down....

Wake/speed the others up.
We need bullet-feeds in this level of play.

And fine tune Evina....Tell her "Quit waiting so deep in your move to execute the pass...They're already thinking and executing a boxout or they have waited "long enough" and now consider that you are going to shoot/finish it yourself"

I can cosign this. I watched the game & heard Lawson make those comments. It sounded like she was frustrated with the play of the Lady Vols when the game began to go south.

I can cosign this. I watched the game & heard Lawson make those comments. It sounded like she was frustrated with the play of the Lady Vols when the game began to go south.

She was frustrated with the play of the Lady Vols and the game was still tight. She was clearly frustrated with that Westbrook pass to. You saw that pass attempt it was crazy there a 4 ND players there.

Reactions: RollerVol
She was frustrated with the play of the Lady Vols and the game was still tight. She was clearly frustrated with that Westbrook pass to. You saw that pass attempt it was crazy there a 4 ND players there.

On the other side she complimented Evina too. Kara’s observations were both positive and negative in nature. I’m not arguing or disagreeing about some of her passes but she also complimented her about her overall improvement and hustle.

Kara also talked about the Collins and why didn’t she move out of the perimeters player way. She gives great observations to say the least!

I love Evina and she could honestly move to the 2 and still average 4-5 assists a game. I am glad she is a LV and hope she continues to grow and improve. Hopefully having a 6-6 target who can hopefully have good hands if she passes it high to her or even passes from Horston will benefit the post. Candace’s teammates always didn’t make great passes but she went up and got the ball unlike the most recent LV post. Her and Anosike grabbed passes

I really wish Kara Lawson was the lady vols coach. I think she would be a great coach.

I have been waiting for someone besides me to open this discussion. Good for you.
Folks will say "no experience" but she seems to have watched and learned from the sideline from every coach in the country, college and pro. I think she could do a better job than we see now, until she learns the "strings" of heading a program. Listening to her last night, there seems to be an undercurrent of disdain at the current situation. She is all vol and I believe has a lot of "Pat" in her...

Okay, let's put this comment into context. Evina had been playing very well at PG. During the first half especially Kara and Lobo were both complimenting the team for their patience and how well the offense was being run.
Evina had some great passes. Then in the second half, she tried to force a long pass (from not too far past half court) into, to use football terms, double coverage and TO!

Kara said, there was no need to throw that pass and she did indeed sound frustrated. The context is that LVs had just closed the lead on ND after having fallen behind by 7 (2nd half) but that TO was part of the events in which ND took final control of the game.

Evina can be a great PG. A PG who can shoot is a great weapon because teams have to respect her outside shot and that creates gaps. She can get to to the rim effectively. I would like to see her develop a little bit of post up game so she could make more use of her height advantage.

Evina's court vision is unreal but that is also what gets her into trouble. She reminds a bit, again to use a football analogy, of Brett Favre,. In his prime, Favre could make passes that other QBs would never dream of trying but he also believed that he could always beat double and triple coverage with his accuracy and zip on the ball. So, he created many Sportcenter Top 10 highlight plays but he also threw a lot of interceptions. Evina needs to dial her "Favreness" back just a bit. On the flip against ND, that one play was her only her really ill-advised pass. Her error was magnified because it happened at a particularly crucial moment in the game.

Last edited:

I heard it and if she had been on the bench, she would have pulled Westbrook at first chance. God knows what she would have done then. As players did when this happened during Pat's time, I think she should have hurried to the far end of the bench. You could tell Lawson was displaying a "Pat" type personality at that moment.

The game vs Notre Dame in the end was decided because of our 35 percent FG shooting. We had 11 turnovers and they had 13. We had 41 rebounds to their 43. The big thing is that we got 76 shots to their 59 a plus 17. Most of that was negated because they got 28 free throws to our 8. The stats all show that we had to shoot around 47 percent to win the game. Our inability to shoot the ball plus their ability to get to the line was the total difference in this game. Our team is gonna have to learn how to drive to the basket with the body control to draw fouls. Our inability to shoot from the perimeter 2 for 14 three point shooting is a total waste of time and possessions. The great teams are the ones that can get to the basket and have the ability to get and make shots in the paint. Other than Evina, sometimes Rennia, and the injured Meme no one has shown any ability to make a three pointer on this team. Zaay Green has shot 73 times made 16 so she needs a lot of work to even attempt that shot.

Find Grant Williams let him show you a few moves he can draw the foul and get the mid-range jumpers. His game should be what any player should try to emulate on the court.

On the other side she complimented Evina too. Kara’s observations were both positive and negative in nature. I’m not arguing or disagreeing about some of her passes but she also complimented her about her overall improvement and hustle.

Kara also talked about the Collins and why didn’t she move out of the perimeters player way. She gives great observations to say the least!

I love Evina and she could honestly move to the 2 and still average 4-5 assists a game. I am glad she is a LV and hope she continues to grow and improve. Hopefully having a 6-6 target who can hopefully have good hands if she passes it high to her or even passes from Horston will benefit the post. Candace’s teammates always didn’t make great passes but she went up and got the ball unlike the most recent LV post. Her and Anosike grabbed passes[/QUOTE

Come on let be fair CP team was a much better team then this team and Holly was not the coach. And to note that team had a true pg and to me Tenn best ever Shannon Bobbitt. Don`t get me wrong i like Westbrook but not at the pg spot. I think she would be better at the 2g spot. And you are 100% correct about that one play with Collins. You know looking at this team if we had a shot blocker at the 5, i think our defense would be better and i could see C. Green averaging a double double most games.

Reactions: VA_VOLFAN
Kara notes the good and the bad. When EW left the game after that, Holly gave her a pat on the shoulder. That's it. CPS would have met her coming off and told her what she did wrong and why. Bet Kara would have done the same thing. These players need to be coached on the floor. If they're not corrected and held accountable when they make mistakes, they're going to continue to make them.

Kara notes the good and the bad. When EW left the game after that, Holly gave her a pat on the shoulder. That's it. CPS would have met her coming off and told her what she did wrong and why. Bet Kara would have done the same thing. These players need to be coached on the floor. If they're not corrected and held accountable when they make mistakes, they're going to continue to make them.

I agree did you see early in the 1st Muffet Mcgraw rip her freshmen pg after she turned the ball and bad pass. I`m sure everyone saw that.

I agree did you see early in the 1st Muffet Mcgraw rip her freshmen pg after she turned the ball and bad pass. I`m sure everyone saw that.

Muffet, Tara, Kim, Brenda, Vic, Jeff, Geno-- they all do it. Kara and other Pat players have all talked about getting the stare when they did something wrong. They wouldn't even look over at Pat because they could feel that icy stare and hear her yelling at them. And they're all quick to say they made sure not to do it again. Pat taught them and made them better, and they love her for it.

The game vs Notre Dame in the end was decided because of our 35 percent FG shooting. We had 11 turnovers and they had 13. We had 41 rebounds to their 43. The big thing is that we got 76 shots to their 59 a plus 17. Most of that was negated because they got 28 free throws to our 8. The stats all show that we had to shoot around 47 percent to win the game. Our inability to shoot the ball plus their ability to get to the line was the total difference in this game. Our team is gonna have to learn how to drive to the basket with the body control to draw fouls. Our inability to shoot from the perimeter 2 for 14 three point shooting is a total waste of time and possessions. The great teams are the ones that can get to the basket and have the ability to get and make shots in the paint. Other than Evina, sometimes Rennia, and the injured Meme no one has shown any ability to make a three pointer on this team. Zaay Green has shot 73 times made 16 so she needs a lot of work to even attempt that shot.

Find Grant Williams let him show you a few moves he can draw the foul and get the mid-range jumpers. His game should be what any player should try to emulate on the court.

One important stat you missed. ND had 23 assists on 28 made baskets. UT had 9 assists on 27 made baskets. A very clear indicator of the type of basketball each team plays. ND plays ball movement until the right player gets the right shot. UT plays outdated get the ball, shoot and get the rebound.

There were points in the game I didn’t understand Holly’s substitutions. Zaay was red hot and then she takes her out, and then they took E out but had to bring her back in but then it was too late! In the second half she should have called a timeout to settle her team and regroup but nope.
I don’t know what it’s going to take. But many times in the game I saw Rennia shy away from contact. Someone had mentioned it before and you were spot on. And it showed. No rebounds whatsoever is uncalled for. Especially with the minutes she played.

Reactions: Momto2
Also about E. She’s probably our best player, Zaay is pretty close but yes her passes many times are not smart and not necessary. OTHER than some of her play making decisions I am quite pleased with the play of this SOPHOMORE.
She really needs to work on her ball handling ability, driving the ball to her left, and her Free Throw shooting.

Jordan Horstan at the 1 next year? Or Massengil?

Reactions: Bret178

VN Store

Back