Tennessee all time starting 5

The only one you might have an argument with is Lofton. But I don’t know who you would replace him with. Maybe CJ.

Last edited:
The greatest player to ever wear orange isn't on there and that's a travesty

Grant williams does more for his team to win than any other player on that list.

Reactions: SpaceCoastVol
Who would the next 5 be off the bench. Would think guys like Tobias, Jarnell, Josh Richardson would have spots.

Reactions: Volanta

Grant williams does more for his team to win than any other player on that list.
No...Not even close...He might be a sixth man on that team MAYBE but he is far from the greatest player to wear orange...Love him to death but no....That starting 5 would almost be unbeatable...I would put them up against any starting 5 Kentucky could round up.

If we are talking about an all-time starting 5 then I don't know how in the world Grant Williams will be denied after this season. If Grant continues his production and UT makes a decent run in the tourney, how? His career statistics are going to be very impressive at the very least.

I disagree with the coach, although I loved Ray Mears. CRM didn't have a shot clock so his guys routinely played 38-40 minutes. His best teams featured King, Grunfeld, and Jackson who provided 80% of the offense. Lack of balanced scoring was a key reason Mear's teams got bounced out early in the postseason. A short bench with only a handful of key contributors wouldn't fly today. A chasing 1-3-1 zone with a 30 sec shot clock would require depth..and more depth.

I'd definitely go with the guy we've got now. Pearl second, Mears third.

To clarify, Grant Williams is the greatest player to ever wear orange?

Reactions: FlVols
To clarify, Grant Williams is the greatest player to ever wear orange?

Correct

He does more than anyone else that wins games

Scoring
Passing
Defense
Blocks
Assist
Rebounds
Leadership

He simply makes everyone around him much better than they really are

Combine all those things and it equals more wins than anyone else

Reactions: UTvol1fn
Correct

He does more than anyone else that wins games

Scoring
Passing
Defense
Blocks
Assist
Rebounds
Leadership

He simply makes everyone around him much better than they really are

Combine all those things and it equals more wins than anyone else
Sorry, but Bernard King is the most talented player to ever put on a Vol uniform. My guess is you didn't see him ever play in person.

I would be interesting to rework that list if you had to place people at their actual positions. Lofton and Houston were both 2 guards. There is no true Center listed, although both Ellis and King played well as undersized as they were in the post. It is also crazy to think that Dale Ellis played for years in the NBA and was best known for being a fantastic 3-point shooter. While Grant and Admiral are not on the list yet, they both have a chance to get in the conversation if they both keep playing as they have been. King was on another level and is one of the top 5 all-time in SEC history. Kings CAREER line was 26 pts and 13 rebs. For. His. Career. Three time SEC player of the year.
Who was the best pure point guard we have ever produced? The best true center? If we did that, some of the guys above would have to slide to 2nd team, crazy as that is.

Sorry, but Bernard King is the most talented player to ever put on a Vol uniform. My guess is you didn't see him ever play in person.

I didnt but I am not talking about talent. From what I have heard and seen I'd agree he's more talented

Talent doesn't make him the best either. I also have heard plenty about him off the floor and we know without a doubt he wasn't a leader that led others to be better than they were

No...Not even close...He might be a sixth man on that team MAYBE but he is far from the greatest player to wear orange...Love him to death but no....That starting 5 would almost be unbeatable...I would put them up against any starting 5 Kentucky could round up.

Rondo, Wall, Antoine Walker, Cousins, Davis

I'd say that's the best 5 probably, but as others have stated, it doesn't make sense lineup wise.

I disagree with the coach, although I loved Ray Mears. CRM didn't have a shot clock so his guys routinely played 38-40 minutes. His best teams featured King, Grunfeld, and Jackson who provided 80% of the offense. Lack of balanced scoring was a key reason Mear's teams got bounced out early in the postseason. A short bench with only a handful of key contributors wouldn't fly today. A chasing 1-3-1 zone with a 30 sec shot clock would require depth..and more depth.

I'd definitely go with the guy we've got now. Pearl second, Mears third.
When we had the Ernie and Bernie show we didn't need the shot clock. As a matter of fact teams were trying to slow the game down against us. Before then Mears did shorten the clock.

When comparing Ellis to any player after the 3 point line was adopted you need to take that into consideration. He is one of the best 3 point shooters ever in the NBA and it is further out. If he had the 3 pint line in college his stats would have been unbelievable.

He played inside at UT much like Williams and rarely took outside shots.

VN Store

Back