Rank Your Realistic Possible New Coaches

My favorite would be a woman with Tennessee Orange blood
Nikki Caldwell Fargas with Kara Lawson on staff with Tasha Butts - a break from traditional staffing to a coaching team with strengths learned from Pat.
Some combination of Caldwell, Jolly, Lawson, Parker, Butts, and Catchings coming together to rescue Tennessee for their mentor and coach.
Caldwell Butts & Harper have the experience - Lawson, Parker, or Catchings the professional connections and Tennessee spirit.
It seems that women might have the capacity to pull this off without the ego driven - 'I'm the boss" thing.
Make decisions based on strengths - Administrative, public -relations, practice, recruiting and in-game decision making
One final 'decider' with collective input.
Can you imagine a recruit with Candace, Kara, and Tamika in her living-room?
This type of thing would be the one way a star like these three could move to coach because the 'no coaching experience' thing is a deal killer.
If Teamwork is the goal a team of coaches makes sense. TOO BAD IT'S IMPOSSIBLE in the set pattern of athletic department cement.
It's somewhat silly - these women like Candace Kara and Tamika have been schooled on coaching their entire lives. They have seen it all.
common wisdom says go hire someone with a record somewhere else - Tennessee isn't somewhere else.

I can’t diagree any more. Leave the greats alone and let them be remembered as great, get new blood. This Tennessee blood for Tennessee coaching staff is bull sh** and makes it 900 times harder to let them go when/if they fail.

I can’t diagree any more. Leave the greats alone and let them be remembered as great, get new blood. This Tennessee blood for Tennessee coaching staff is bull sh** and makes it 900 times harder to let them go when/if they fail.
Yep, you don't hire family members.

Coaches I like even though I know were still a long way from a change.

Bart Books Belmont head coach always puts a terrific team on the floor fundamentally who are very limited talent wise.
Wes Moore has taken a mediocre program to National attention. A tough place to recruit he does it with players not highly thought of for the most part. He may have one or two rated players on the team.
Becky Hammon is certainly a talented coach who probably has her sites set on something higher than women's college basketball.
Michael Schwartz is high energy would instill in the girls fundamentals and will to win. He has done a terrific job since joining Rick Barnes staff would bring that system and player development to the women's team.
Carolyn Kieger Marquette head coach really get the maximum out of the players she gets in that program.
Lisa Fortier current Gonzaga basketball coach gets excellent results year after year.
Dawn Plitzuweit South Dakota head coach 14 and 0 in conference record last season. Currently 16 and 3 with a 13 point win over Missouri on their home floor.

I'll add Kara Lawson although she is not coming makes way to much money with ESPN don't think she would ever want to be bogged down as a women's basketball coach.

This is just several of the excellent coaches that could JMO get this program back up to a high level nationally and compete for SEC titles every season.

Reactions: Ratvol and Momto2
We may have found one constructive thing HW has contributed; IMO the experience with her has moved us away from any mandate that the next coach be from the LV family. Of course there's a few diehards that will never accept anything else, but I'm pretty sure most of us are so burned by the Holly era that we now want the best fit, not the closest kin. If it works out that the best choice is from the fam that's great, but qualifications can now come first.

I also disagree with the notion that we can't call for the outster of the current regime without offering a realistic replacement, something im hearing frequently on local sports media. Bullfeathers! Its one of the great things about being a fan/paying customer. My job is to let the AD know when I'm finding going to games and supporting the team way more painful than enjoyable. Their job is to fix it and make me want to buy season tickets again. If I'm mad at the checkout person at WalMart I tell the manager, but I don't have to find their replacement.

That said, I don't have to but I will voluntarily throw out my current faves. I think we're at least a coach away from the longterm solution so I'm thinking a bridge coach for about 3 seasons. This program is in such disarray it needs an older, established, confident, proven coach to right the ship before handing off to a younger, on fire coach. Give me Wes Moore or Gail G, with Becky Hammon the wild card that might be both the bridge and the future.

Last edited:
Reactions: Momto2 and TN1111
doc49b8a9d49d298720153786-doc49b8a9d49d298720153786.jpg
2rl8u5.jpg

Reactions: 508mikey
I loved her as a player but no. She had the chance at NC State and was fired because she couldn't get it done.

Wes Moore who replaced her has taken them to new heights - just take a look at their records. Coaching matters. Wes is not just a one year wonder. He owned the Southern Conference when he was at Chattanooga and has won everywhere he's coached.

I loved her as a player but no. She had the chance at NC State and was fired because she couldn't get it done.

Wes Moore who replaced her has taken them to new heights - just take a look at their records. Coaching matters. Wes is not just a one year wonder. He owned the Southern Conference when he was at Chattanooga and has won everywhere he's coached.
And his team at Chattanooga beat Holly’s in her first game as head coach!!!!!

Good sentiment but it has been so long since the glory years.... current recruits are too young to remember Kara or Tamika....
CPF needs to hire someone with a high basketball IQ. Seems silly I know, but they did this with Holly. I don’t worry so much about previous coaching, but need to have the ability to lead. Can’t let the players self-coach. They have no leadership now. Poorly coached fundamentals,no respect for the coach, etc. As far as possible coaches, Kara Lawson could be very good. To me, she comes across as a strong individual and a person to be respected. Problem with Kara is paying her. CPF will not pay that kind of money. To be honest, they need to find a really good HS coach looking to move up. Sounds silly I know. Woman, man- I don’t care. Just get a quality coach.

CPF needs to hire someone with a high basketball IQ. Seems silly I know, but they did this with Holly. I don’t worry so much about previous coaching, but need to have the ability to lead. Can’t let the players self-coach. They have no leadership now. Poorly coached fundamentals,no respect for the coach, etc. As far as possible coaches, Kara Lawson could be very good. To me, she comes across as a strong individual and a person to be respected. Problem with Kara is paying her. CPF will not pay that kind of money. To be honest, they need to find a really good HS coach looking to move up. Sounds silly I know. Woman, man- I don’t care. Just get a quality coach.

The high IQ part is correct. Game experience. Ability to lead. Excellent fundamental coach.
I can be there tomorrow

Coaches I like even though I know were still a long way from a change.

Bart Books Belmont head coach always puts a terrific team on the floor fundamentally who are very limited talent wise.
Wes Moore has taken a mediocre program to National attention. A tough place to recruit he does it with players not highly thought of for the most part. He may have one or two rated players on the team.
Becky Hammon is certainly a talented coach who probably has her sites set on something higher than women's college basketball.
Michael Schwartz is high energy would instill in the girls fundamentals and will to win. He has done a terrific job since joining Rick Barnes staff would bring that system and player development to the women's team.
Carolyn Kieger Marquette head coach really get the maximum out of the players she gets in that program.
Lisa Fortier current Gonzaga basketball coach gets excellent results year after year.
Dawn Plitzuweit South Dakota head coach 14 and 0 in conference record last season. Currently 16 and 3 with a 13 point win over Missouri on their home floor.

I'll add Kara Lawson although she is not coming makes way to much money with ESPN don't think she would ever want to be bogged down as a women's basketball coach.

This is just several of the excellent coaches that could JMO get this program back up to a high level nationally and compete for SEC titles every season.

I was liking your list until you got to Lawson. I just don't understand why anyone would even consider hiring someone with zero coaching experience here, former LV or not, given our high standards and lack of patience, which is what has led to the complaints about CHW.

Good sentiment but it has been so long since the glory years.... current recruits are too young to remember Kara or Tamika....
I don't think so Vegas - Tamika is in the running for GOAT as a pro and Kara's broadcasting career brought her great recognition with any young player of basketball. If you asked any number of aspiring young HS players to name the players and personalities they admire I bet Tamika and Kara would make a majority of their lists. Along with Candace, theirs are among the most successful careers ever achieved by WCBB players.

So many tout 'experience' when it seems obvious that Kara, Tamika, or Candace all have a lifetime of experience. Whether you are the coach or a player the hours of game preparation, game time and practice give these professionals a wealth of experience in coaching as the one's being coached.
The older coaches are so removed from the present culture and play as players. The younger possibilities have less coaching experience, but they have the feel for the current game and they are in touch with the current mindsets of aspiring players. That can be an advantage in relating to players.
Kara has the added advantage of having to prepare to call or color games as a broadcaster, giving her a unique view of many coaching styles and game management skills. Coupled with her IQ and personality, I have no doubt she could handle anything required as a head coach.

Remember Pat became a head coach very very young and there is much to be said for how a younger intelligence is not shackled to a system or pre-conceived notions of coaching. Exposure to a variety of coaches styles and schemes as a player for life is experience enough - vastly more experience than Pat had when she started.

It would mean a thing to Nikki. Would you take your best friends job? I wanted Nikki when they made original hire.
OK so your saying if the head coach job for the Lady Vols was to come open. Nikki Caldwell should not apply for the job. Makes no sence.

My favorite would be a woman with Tennessee Orange blood
Nikki Caldwell Fargas with Kara Lawson on staff with Tasha Butts - a break from traditional staffing to a coaching team with strengths learned from Pat.
Some combination of Caldwell, Jolly, Lawson, Parker, Butts, and Catchings coming together to rescue Tennessee for their mentor and coach.
Caldwell Butts & Harper have the experience - Lawson, Parker, or Catchings the professional connections and Tennessee spirit.
It seems that women might have the capacity to pull this off without the ego driven - 'I'm the boss" thing.
Make decisions based on strengths - Administrative, public -relations, practice, recruiting and in-game decision making
One final 'decider' with collective input.
Can you imagine a recruit with Candace, Kara, and Tamika in her living-room?
This type of thing would be the one way a star like these three could move to coach because the 'no coaching experience' thing is a deal killer.
If Teamwork is the goal a team of coaches makes sense. TOO BAD IT'S IMPOSSIBLE in the set pattern of athletic department cement.
It's somewhat silly - these women like Candace Kara and Tamika have been schooled on coaching their entire lives. They have seen it all.
common wisdom says go hire someone with a record somewhere else - Tennessee isn't somewhere else.
I have always felt that Tennessee should’ve went with Nikki over Holly. She really coach her girls up considering the talent level on her teams. And she bring that toughness and fire as well. And hell even she was able to beat a mediocre Alabama team 🤦🏾‍♂️

VN Store

Back