Which Women's Coaches Would Jump

They will have to be willing to pay more money than they are Warlick, but they won't have to overpay by any means. There are good coaches out there who would make a lateral move to come to Tennessee. We have the talent to win right away with Jordan Horston on the way. Tennessee has the tradition, facilities, fan support, exposure and even in these down times, the recruiting has hardly lagged at all. Also, whoever comes here isn't following a legend anymore... Holly will not be a hard act to follow. It is the perfect set up for a coach with career ambition.

Whomever coaches after Holly will most assuredly be compared to Pat Summitt. That is who everyone compared Holly to.

Maybe in another 20 years or so it might change.

Reactions: Ladyvolfan4ever
They will have to be willing to pay more money than they are Warlick, but they won't have to overpay by any means. There are good coaches out there who would make a lateral move to come to Tennessee. We have the talent to win right away with Jordan Horston on the way. Tennessee has the tradition, facilities, fan support, exposure and even in these down times, the recruiting has hardly lagged at all. Also, whoever comes here isn't following a legend anymore... Holly will not be a hard act to follow. It is the perfect set up for a coach with career ambition.

Now that you mention current talent, assuming Holly finishes the year and is let go or transfers to an administrative position, do you see any of the new recruits opting out or current players transferring? One factor may be the replacement and another would be playing for the university or simply because liking Holly or relationship with recruiter.

RE: Coaches - the Syracuse coach is a clown. Goestenkors would be a nice grab. Might get Walz, but I don't know. Why would these coaches that are successful where they are leave their current situations for TN? What about Melanie Balcomb?

Any of them. The Lady Vols could get anybody except for Geno.

I do not know.... Tennessee has been so long a mediocre program.... I say that with a measure of regret.... because Pat had built it to a power...

But in the last decade..... or since the 2008 NCAA title with Candace..... what signature win have we had.....?? I think we beat ND once and beat South Carolina once.... perhaps one or two more....

But I have not seen LV win against greater competition while i have seen losses a lot to undermanned teams......

So I move to the question/.... Do we matter anymore to the degree we did?

If the answer to that is "Yes".... we had better move rather quickly.... Notre Dame football has been plodding along with one national title in the last 45 years.... when Brian Kelly was hired a couple of bigger names turned down the job.... the echoes of Knute Rockne rang hollow for them.... and the ND head coaching job was not what it once had been they were dependent on their history.... like we have done

but at least they still are relevant.... have gotten to compete at the top level... and hey it is college football and not a non revenue and marginal sport in terms of interest like WCBB.....

and then there is the money thing..... would Phil open the bank for Jeff Walz? no.... dawn staley? no ....

I just think the LV head coaching job is a bit overrated and partly because Holly has done little to push the program forward and ensure national relevancy hope i am wrong

I am afraid that most fans will piss in their pants if a non LV is hired. At one time I though NC would be the ideal choice but her recruiting has waned and LSU was down on her. I think Gail would be ok and Moore at NC state would come for sure. Kara is staying put and CP most likely not coming at this time. I once though Tamika Catchings may go the coaching route but don't look that way. These successful coaches in these other program mentioned are not coming here . I would not mind a male headcoach but those pissers would do more than piss I think. I am for replacing HW and maybe a dark horse coach will rear their ugly head but I don't see any change until Holly starts the process. No tournament which is now more than possible may be the first step! JMHO as always!!!!

I am afraid that most fans will piss in their pants if a non LV is hired. At one time I though NC would be the ideal choice but her recruiting has waned and LSU was down on her. I think Gail would be ok and Moore at NC state would come for sure. Kara is staying put and CP most likely not coming at this time. I once though Tamika Catchings may go the coaching route but don't look that way. These successful coaches in these other program mentioned are not coming here . I would not mind a male headcoach but those pissers would do more than piss I think. I am for replacing HW and maybe a dark horse coach will rear their ugly head but I don't see any change until Holly starts the process. No tournament which is now more than possible may be the first step! JMHO as always!!!!

True about keeping it in the family.... Makes it all the more sad that Holly is not conveying the meaning of being a LV..... I was looking at old game UConn vs LVs 2001 TBA.... great game we won by a bit.... but watching our defense swarming zone.... all 10 arms up in the air..... blocking passing lanes.... stark contrast from what it is today..... putting the Tennessee jersey on should mean something

Daily will never leave UConn. When Auriemma retires she'll go too. Ralph already has a better offer.
...and you don't necessarily know that Dailey wouldn't be another Warlick anyway. There should be a cautionary tale in here somewhere about hiring a 30 year assistant to a legend. You really don't have any idea what you're getting... and as for Ralph??? Puke... just freaking puke.

Reactions: cutiepie5
RE: Coaches - the Syracuse coach is a clown. Goestenkors would be a nice grab. Might get Walz, but I don't know. Why would these coaches that are successful where they are leave their current situations for TN? What about Melanie Balcomb?
Gail first followed by Melanie. Please, no first time coach.

Reactions: cutiepie5
Niele Ivey has too much of a quiet personality for my liking. I think she's better off as an assistant/Recruiter.

Kara Lawson is a very good commentator, highly intelligent and knows the game.... but there's more to coaching than just knowing the game. I'd like to see Kara be an assistant for a couple of years before she gets a Head Coaching gig. It would give us a preview of Kara's coaching style and on-court personality/demeanor.

My short list of Coaches(i'm sure there are more):
Gail Goestenkors
Brenda Frese

I don't think Frese is a tier 1 coach, but she has a lot of fire and is very demanding of her players. Frese holds her players accountable, unlike Warlick

Two Darkhorses:

Nikki Fargas
Sherri Coale

LSU, nor Oklahoma have done much over the last couple of seasons...However, I think location and lack of school prestige has a lot to do with it. Let's be serious. How many top out of state recruits have Louisiana/Oklahoma at the top of their list of places they want to Live,play or go to school....I believe Vargas and Coale could turn this program around.

Longshot:
Becky Hammon

I honestly think that Kellie Harper could get the job done and would satisfy all fan bases if the fans were willing to give her a chance without criticizing every move.

Reactions: NoBackBoard

That probably was the case 7 years ago when CPS replacement needed to be one of her proteges. I think that demand becomes less pressing with each passing year. In the pipe dream category, if someone like Becky Hammon, with her player and coaching credentials and relative youth (this program needs an injection of energy and coaching charisma), were announced as the new HC, I think the cheers would drown out the complaints by a wide margin.

I hope when the replacement hire is made, that the UTAD does go outside the LV family; the program needs a big overall with a new approach and new ideas.

In spite of the mediocrity lately I think we're still one of the top programs in the country and can still get a sitting power five head coach. I'd throw the bank at Scott Rueck or Wes Moore. I think we'd have a better shot with Moore because he's from here.

That probably was the case 7 years ago when CPS replacement needed to be one of her proteges. I think that demand becomes less pressing with each passing year. In the pipe dream category, if someone like Becky Hammon, with her player and coaching credentials and relative youth (this program needs an injection of energy and coaching charisma), were announced as the new HC, I think the cheers would drown out the complaints by a wide margin.

I hope when the replacement hire is made, that the UTAD does go outside the LV family; the program needs a big overall with a new approach and new ideas.
I forgot about Becky and would love that as well!

Reactions: madtownvol

VN Store

Back