Which Women's Coaches Would Jump

Any of them. The Lady Vols could get anybody except for Geno.
Not true in any way...Dawn Staley makes 1.5 and will make 2.1 at the end of her contract...which will be extended again. Tennessee has nothing on South Carolina except tradition...and that is in the past now. Holly has set the program back so far that there are many coaches in much better position than taking this job. It's not a swipe because it is still one of the top programs but you can't get whoever you want. You could get a better younger coach who could lead the program back...but....

It's time for the deep-pocketed boosters to pony up the dough before they lose interest in the women't program too.

Reactions: VolSr
Any of them. The Lady Vols could get anybody except for Geno.

Or Muffett, or Walz, or VanDerveer or Staley, or Mulkey, or Graves, or . . . . The pool is very shallow and most of the top coaches are entrenched with a lot of investment in their programs. It might be better to look for another Pat Summitt. A young upcoming coach looking to make a mark.

IDT the name coaches like Muffet, Tara, Kim or Geno would be willing to come to UT. They've built their own successful programs at other schools like Pat did at UT, and they're well-compensated where they are. IDT the new elites like Dawn or Vic would be eager to come, either, for the same reason. They're also building legacy programs at other schools. And there really aren't any former LVs ready to step into this job-- or wanting to coach at this level.

Sure, UT will make the calls when a move is made, but there are going to be some respectful no's from top-tier coaches who're happy and successful at their current schools. It's very unfortunate that UT doesn't have a succession plan, but that's what happens when a revolving door of ADs have kicked the can to the next guy.

It has to come down to money. Tennessee will need to fork out a LOT more money than they do right now to get a coach who can get this program to be relevant. My biggest priorities in a coach would be ability to run an offense and develop players. Proven recruiting is nice, but Tennessee will recruit itself. I also wouldn't be opposed to a top assistant like Niele Ivey or Shea Ralph (can't see either happening...) Top of my wish list would be Gail Goestenkors if she wanted to come back (doubtful), Vic Schaefer (would never happen) or Courtney Banghart.

It has to come down to money. Tennessee will need to fork out a LOT more money than they do right now to get a coach who can get this program to be relevant. My biggest priorities in a coach would be ability to run an offense and develop players. Proven recruiting is nice, but Tennessee will recruit itself. I also wouldn't be opposed to a top assistant like Niele Ivey or Shea Ralph (can't see either happening...) Top of my wish list would be Gail Goestenkors if she wanted to come back (doubtful), Vic Schaefer (would never happen) or Courtney Banghart.
They will have to be willing to pay more money than they are Warlick, but they won't have to overpay by any means. There are good coaches out there who would make a lateral move to come to Tennessee. We have the talent to win right away with Jordan Horston on the way. Tennessee has the tradition, facilities, fan support, exposure and even in these down times, the recruiting has hardly lagged at all. Also, whoever comes here isn't following a legend anymore... Holly will not be a hard act to follow. It is the perfect set up for a coach with career ambition.

So turn the reigns over to someone who has never coached before?

The reason I would be OK with this move is because she has emersed herself in basketball and is CONSTANTLY around basketball. Just listen to her on the TV and how she sees the game from a PG and player perspective but also a person who respects the game with a militaristic family background and having played for both Pat and Geno. It would take some adjustment (and she is making a pretty good haul right now with less stress LOL) but if Kara wanted to do this job and succeed I fully believe she could. I think there are other coaches out there that could be successful though and don’t need to have played for the LVs but I think one needs to be on the bench (as an assistant) to be able to bridge that gap.

I'm thinking Many current successful Women's Coaches would JUMP at the chance to Coach THE PREMIER Program in the SEC, and the Bedrock of Women's Basketball. This thing could be turned around Quickly, with the Right Hire. This is LVBB!
:confused:

Not sure we could get McGraw or Schaefer either.
Everybody else, we have a good shot.
I’d ask Staley and Walz as my top two.

I doubt she leaves with the #1 class coming in. What about a professional coach. Cheryl Reaves perhaps? Her Dynasty is about to be disbanded in Minnie and that could shake some things up. She is also a US asst coach so that might be an attractive pull to some because she is in the US coaching pool.

Someone said Gail Goestonkors and id love to have her as an asst along with BG and Reaves to complete a staff for a head coach. Reaves has proven she is a good recruiter on both the national and juco level, BG instill what it is to be a great LV while Gail would bring that over the top mentality and she prolly itching for a chance at a natty! Plus back in her hay day at Duke she sort of held her own vs Geno.

Reactions: orangealways
I was going to reply to this thread about Gail Goestenkors (I don't recall her holding her own against Geno Auriemma at all, and I recall her success being largely tied to Alana Beard), but then ran into an article that talked about Duke in the context of Tennessee being a program that would play "anyone, anyplace, anytime," and that was the end of wanting to search for anything.

Reactions: volnut1

VN Store

Back