New Coaching Search???

xtpsrh08123 said, "Why not Walz again? Leaving a storied Louisville program that just hit the national limelight about 10 years ago for Tennessee a team that created the national limelight for WCBB 35 + years ago? Its not like he has another Asia Durr coming in next year...I don't see what's so unbelievable.

No he doesn't have another Asia Durr coming in, but then there's only one Asia Durr.

What he does have coming in are:

2019: Nyah Green, 5 star #19, Ramani Parker, 4 star #99, Narika Konno, 3 star (from Japan, who played on their U18 & U23 FIBA teams in 2018).

Who are already here:

2018: Mykassa Robinson. 5 star #29, Seygan Robbins, 5 star #38, Molly Lockhart, 3 star (red shirting), Yacine Diop, (#54 coming out of HS, Grad Transfer, torn ACL, may get an additional year via medical red shirt)

2017: Dana Evans, 5 star #9 McDAA, Lindsay Duvall, 5 star #24 (red shirted last year)

2016: Kylee Shook, 5 star #17 McDAA, Jasmine Jones, 5 star #43, Bionca Dunham, 4 star (who has really developed her game), Jessica Laemmle (local girl, walk on, hustles her butt off and is a crowd favorite)

As Amb3096 stated the cupboard is not bare. Yes things will change after Asia leaves but to expect a huge fall off of the program because of that, I don't see happening.

I know UT wants to find a really good coach and we have one. We just don't want to let YOU have him. :)

And 59% of those players you just named will transfer after 1 or 2 seasons. Ijs its Louisville #Tradition

Everyone can throw out all the names you want, but this mess is going to take a top notch coach not some rookie. Not many people will be up to clean up this mess.

8 AM Mr Fulmers office Holly.

Are you trying to convince us or convince yourself?

I'm trying to convince all the UT fans who just think all they have to do is offer the job to him and he'll take it. As a season ticket holder and follower of U of L sports I've heard enough over the past few years that leads me to think that Walz to UT is a pipe dream. I love what Pat did for women's basketball and like UT (unless they're playing us of course) especially when the beat that school just to the east of us. Not trying to start an argument or anything like that, just stating an opinion, which we all have. Mine is, that he'll retire at U of L.

I'm trying to convince all the UT fans who just think all they have to do is offer the job to him and he'll take it. As a season ticket holder and follower of U of L sports I've heard enough over the past few years that leads me to think that Walz to UT is a pipe dream. I love what Pat did for women's basketball and like UT (unless they're playing us of course) especially when the beat that school just to the east of us. Not trying to start an argument or anything like that, just stating an opinion, which we all have. Mine is, that he'll retire at U of L.

I think you are over confident in how you stand with your current coach. Do not be surprised if he leaves.

I want Coach Bart Walker out of Northwest Florida State.

Knoxville native. Coached in Tennessee at three different spots. Consistently wins and puts JUCO players into higher level schools.

I don't want to get trapped in the "going for the gold" yet again in regards to a coaching search. Find a winner at a lower level, give him the talent on the roster and see what happens. Three year deal is sufficient to know what can happen,

I think you are over confident in how you stand with your current coach. Do not be surprised if he leaves.

I may be. But I'm no more over confident than the UT fans who think they simply have to offer him the job and he'll jump at it.
UT 12-5 (four losses in a row)
U of L 16-1 (only loss to #1 ranked team)

UT 7568 avg. attendance (9,113 largest)
U of L 8685 avg. attendance (13,786 largest)

So . . . please explain to me why the UT job would be the "be all and end all" job for Jeff.

If a move were to be made, I would make Becky Hammon tell me no more than once. The second person I would contact would be Shea Ralph. The third would be Niele Ivey. Fourth would be Wes Moore. I would say Vic Schaefer but I think he's waiting on the A&M job. The new coach should find a way to keep Reeves on the staff. I don't think any of it will happen, but if it did......

Last edited:
If a move were to be made, I would make Becky Hammon tell me know more than once. The second person I would contact would be Shea Ralph. The third would be Niele Ivey. Fourth would be Wes Moore. I would say Vic Schaefer but I think he's waiting on the A&M job. The new coach should find a way to keep Reeves on the staff. I don't think any of it will happen, but if it did......

Becky Hammon would be an exciting choice and I would LOVE to see that happen. If NBA players trust her to help them improve their games -- and they do -- then I'm certain she can whip some college-aged women into shape. I would LOVE to see that hire!

Vic Schaefer would be an excellent choice and I have NO DOUBT he'd get the Lady Vols back to prominence. That said, my gut feeling, like you said, is that he is just biding his time until taking over for Gary Blair at his alma mater, Texas A&M, when Blair retires.

Shea Ralph has never been a head coach and might be a great head coach somewhere, but my gut feeling about HER is that she'd rather have a sharp, burning stick poked into her eye than to have to learn to love Tennessee and to get them back to prominence. She's likely enjoying Tennessee's downfall very much.

I've heard some good things about Ivey, but I don't know enough about her to decide what I think. She could be a terrific choice -- I just don't know!

Wes = YES. He's got the experience and the proven success -- and a terrific personal manner. His players love him and, in his gradual climb up the coaching ranks, has always left his last program in better standing than what it was in when he got there. I'd be all-in for Wes Moore if he were offered.

P.S. I agree about keeping Reeves. I hate it for Gordon because I think maybe her Pat-made toughness could be better utilized under a better head coach.

Last edited:
Reactions: LVsinceJV
If a move were to be made, I would make Becky Hammon tell me know more than once. The second person I would contact would be Shea Ralph. The third would be Niele Ivey. Fourth would be Wes Moore. I would say Vic Schaefer but I think he's waiting on the A&M job. The new coach should find a way to keep Reeves on the staff. I don't think any of it will happen, but if it did......

How about Gail Goestenkors

Gail Goestenkors

Reactions: CincyLadyVol
LOL Jeff Walz indeed is the new Jon Gruden. Am I wrong or were some of his recent teams kind of unnecessarily rough, like someone Sophie Cunningham would enjoy playing for. I remember totally not liking them a few years ago when they beat us in the tourney.

Kara Lawson approaching Gruden territory as well. If we're talking former Lady Vols from the golden era, here's a few that have actually coached.

Kyra Elzy -Wouldn't that be interesting? Not sure what the drama surrounding her departure was, but I loved Elzy when she played for the Meek era LVs! Hard worker, defensive stopper, couldn't play a lick of offense, oh wait, not her!

Semeka Randall - Boo! How much fun would it be to have Boo coach against Sir Geno next year! Remember how much UConn hated her? She coached at Michigan St for awhile, haven't heard of her for years, but loved her antics and energy! She'd be a show on the sideline, very emotional!

Niya Butts - Butts had guts! Wasn't she at LSU with Nikki?

Speaking of Nikki C, surprised there's been so little talk about her. Would she just be Holly all over again? Has she proven to be a fair to middlin coach? I want to want her back more than I actually do.

Re Randall be careful what you ask for - During her three seasons at AAMU, Randall managed a 17-73 overall record - her best win/loss record was 6-24 during the 2014-15 and 2015-16 seasons. To say that Randall was unsuccessful as a coach would be a huge understatement. I don't think she is coaching anymore.

If a move were to be made, I would make Becky Hammon tell me no more than once. The second person I would contact would be Shea Ralph. The third would be Niele Ivey. Fourth would be Wes Moore. I would say Vic Schaefer but I think he's waiting on the A&M job. The new coach should find a way to keep Reeves on the staff. I don't think any of it will happen, but if it did......

Ralph is in line for the UConn job and I think Ivey is waiting in the wings for Muffett to retire.

LOL Jeff Walz indeed is the new Jon Gruden. Am I wrong or were some of his recent teams kind of unnecessarily rough, like someone Sophie Cunningham would enjoy playing for. I remember totally not liking them a few years ago when they beat us in the tourney.

Kara Lawson approaching Gruden territory as well. If we're talking former Lady Vols from the golden era, here's a few that have actually coached.

Kyra Elzy -Wouldn't that be interesting? Not sure what the drama surrounding her departure was, but I loved Elzy when she played for the Meek era LVs! Hard worker, defensive stopper, couldn't play a lick of offense, oh wait, not her!

Semeka Randall - Boo! How much fun would it be to have Boo coach against Sir Geno next year! Remember how much UConn hated her? She coached at Michigan St for awhile, haven't heard of her for years, but loved her antics and energy! She'd be a show on the sideline, very emotional!

Niya Butts - Butts had guts! Wasn't she at LSU with Nikki?

Speaking of Nikki C, surprised there's been so little talk about her. Would she just be Holly all over again? Has she proven to be a fair to middlin coach? I want to want her back more than I actually do.
If we dropped Holly TODAY, the program wouldn't have any problem, at all, landing a TOP coach...we will not have to settle for young "maybes" or peanuts...Go LVFL 🤘

Flopped at Texas...

1) Brenda Frese
2) Becky Hammon
3) Wes Moore (there is no way the search would go any further than him)

Gail did very well at Duke. Coached several future WNBA stars. Has assisted several WNBA teams. So she knows what it takes to get top prospects and how to develop their skills so they can move on to the next level. What several highly ranked players are looking for today.

Brenda Freese would never be accepted at Tennessee. To much bad blood there with Gatewood and all the bad comments toward the Lady Vols on national television. Remember the "kiss their rings" comment she made prior to an NCAA matchup against the Lady Vols in Louisville?

I think Becky Hammond would be a good candidate.

I dont understand the posters who throw out a name thats never coached a game. This is not the Lady Vols that Pat took over many many years ago. Just read this board. Vultures everywhere. A rookie wont cut it. I said this in another thread. Insane to even suggest it.

Some have said. Becky Hammond. Whats her record?( 0-0) Has she ever managed a team from the top. Whats her connections to the recruiting world?(this is huge) Does she know the NCAA rules? Well I would say that about does her in.

Kara Lawson. Whats her record?( 0-0) Has she ever managed a team from the top. Whats her connections to the recruiting world?(this is huge) Does she know the NCAA rules? Well I would say that about does her in.

Kyra Elzy. Whats her record? (0-0). Has she ever managed a team from the top? Now we veer some here. She does have recruiting connections as she was here with Holly, and now is back at UK after getting fired by Holly for yapping to much. Not a good recruiter either. Check and see how many kids she actually got us. I do think she knows the rules.

Semeka Randall. Via Wikipedia

Randall's first coaching job was an assistant coach for the women's basketball team at Cleveland State University, during the 2002-03 season. On September 17, 2004, Michigan State University (MSU) announced that Randall was hired as an assistant coach. During that season, the MSU team made it all the way to the NCAA Women's Division I Basketball Championship game, only to lose to Baylor University. On April 17, 2007, Randall was hired as an assistant coach at West Virginia University.

She was named head coach of the Ohio Bobcats women's basketball team on May 9, 2008. Upon her hiring, she stated: "It is my dream job to coach in the state of Ohio. If you look at my previous coaching experiences, you'll see that I've always positioned myself around this state because it's a great place for women's basketball. Ohio is a great school. I like that it urges student-athletes to excel in the classroom and on the court. It's just a great place and I'm looking forward to becoming part of the Ohio basketball family and the Athens community!" Jim Schaus, Athletic Director of Ohio University, described her hiring as "a winning half-court shot at the buzzer."

On March 10, 2013 Randall was released from the Ohio coaching staff where she held a 5-year record of 50-112. During her 5th year as head coach of the bobcats Semeka Held a record of 6-23 going 1-14 in the Mid American Conference(MAC). Director Schaus stated "I want the program to be aimed in a better direction, time for a fresh start". He has begun a Nationwide immediate search. Along with four others, Randall was released from the women's basketball program at Ohio University.

In May 2013, Randall was named as the new head coach of the Alabama A&M University women's basketball team.

Randall's first coaching job was an assistant coach for the women's basketball team at Cleveland State University, during the 2002-03 season. On September 17, 2004, Michigan State University (MSU) announced that Randall was hired as an assistant coach. During that season, the MSU team made it all the way to the NCAA Women's Division I Basketball Championship game, only to lose to Baylor University. On April 17, 2007, Randall was hired as an assistant coach at West Virginia University.

She was named head coach of the Ohio Bobcats women's basketball team on May 9, 2008. Upon her hiring, she stated: "It is my dream job to coach in the state of Ohio. If you look at my previous coaching experiences, you'll see that I've always positioned myself around this state because it's a great place for women's basketball. Ohio is a great school. I like that it urges student-athletes to excel in the classroom and on the court. It's just a great place and I'm looking forward to becoming part of the Ohio basketball family and the Athens community!" Jim Schaus, Athletic Director of Ohio University, described her hiring as "a winning half-court shot at the buzzer."

On March 10, 2013 Randall was released from the Ohio coaching staff where she held a 5-year record of 50-112. During her 5th year as head coach of the bobcats Semeka Held a record of 6-23 going 1-14 in the Mid American Conference(MAC). Director Schaus stated "I want the program to be aimed in a better direction, time for a fresh start". He has begun a Nationwide immediate search. Along with four others, Randall was released from the women's basketball program at Ohio University.

In May 2013, Randall was named as the new head coach of the Alabama A&M University women's basketball team.

Head coach Semeka Randall has decided not to return for employment at Alabama A&M University according to Director of Athletics Bryan Hicks.

“We would like to thank coach Randall for her service to the women’s basketball program and wish her much success in her future endeavors,” said Hicks.

A search for a new coach will begin immediately.

During her three seasons at AAMU, Randall managed a 17-73 overall record – her best win/loss record was 6-24 during the 2014-15 and 2015-16 seasons. She led the Lady Bulldogs past the first round of the SWAC Basketball Tournament her first (2013-14) and last (2015-16) seasons with AAMU.

A University of Tennessee alumna, Randall played under Pat Summitt and was a member of the 1998 NCAA Women’s Basketball Championship team that earned a 39-0 record. After graduating from the University in 2000, Randall was the 17th overall draft pick in the 2001 WNBA Draft, playing four seasons.

I dont think we need that........

Niya Butts. NO. NO. NO.

Head Coaching Record
Season Team Overall Conference Standing Postseason
Arizona (Pac-12 Conference) (2008–present)
2008–09 Arizona 12-19 4-14 T-8th
2009–10 Arizona 14-17 6-12 8th
2010–11 Arizona 21-12 10-8 T-4th WNIT First Round
2011–12 Arizona 15-17 3-15 12th
2012–13 Arizona 12-18 4-14 T-11th
2013–14 Arizona 5-25 1-17 12th
2014–15 Arizona 10-20 3-15 T-11th
2015–16 Arizona 13-19 3-15 11th
Arizona: 102–147 (.410) 34–110 (.236)
Total: 102–147 (.410)

She left Arizona in a shambles for those of you that are real basketball fans and follow the game close. Do we need this here? You tell me.

Nikki Fargas is some better who has had a few good years at UCLA but at best is mid pack SEC level at LSU. Her record does not bode well for her. Records dont lie.

Here are just a few thats been thrown out that posters here want to coach our beloved Lady Vols. I say those that suggest these names be banned from this board for eternity based on 0 basketball knowledge.

Now get on with some good choices.

To be fair to Nikki Fargas, ever since she took over at LSU (I actually don’t know about the current season) her rosters have been so regularly decimated by season-ending injuries that I’ve been impressed by what her teams HAVE managed to accomplish.

While several of her best players were on the sidelines playing cheerleader, her teams HAVE had success, even against Tennessee’s stacked rosters. Because of her Summitt-like force of determination, Fargas has done, IMO, a great job at LSU... considering the bad luck. Her energy and enthusiasm and willingness to get out there and court fans has been admirable. She reminds me of Pat!!!!

Fargas’ players are contributors to their community, and her players understand that they MUST GRADUATE AND BECOME PRODUCTIVE MEMBERS OF SOCIETY. They may not realize it now, but LSU players are fortunate AF that Nikki is channeling Pat in so many ways!

As for her recruiting, I would think it a safe bet that she’d find it exremely easy to convince top student-athletes to come to Knoxville to play for her at her beloved alma mater. Tennessee — and the legacy of Pat — recruits itself. And if you’ll remember, Summitt herself once said that of all her former players who were coaches, that Nikki was the most like her.

I feel strongly that Fargas would do Pat proud, and I believe that Pat would have recommended Nikki to take over for her inthe first place if she weren’t (at that point) making plans for her son to take over in a few years. I suspect that Pat’s idea was that the Holly thing would be temporary — just long enough to let Tyler get a few years’ experience under his belt. If Nikki had taken her place there was a real danger that she’d be so successful and happy there that she’d never want to leave (or be asked to leave). It was far more likely that Holly would be overwhelmed and under-qualified, but might do juuuust well enough to not hurt theprogram, yet would likely be more than ready and willing to hand the whistle off to Pat’s REAL choice when the time came: the young man who’d lived his whole life preparing to continue his mother’s legacy. Obviously — and so terribly sadly — none of went to plan. 😞 But I’d bet the farm that Pat would be devastated to know that Tyler isn’t prowling the sidelines at TBA by now. I’d also bet the farm that if Pat knew then what we all know now — that Tyler’s coaching career would end so early — that the whistle would have been handed from Pat to Nikki Fargas.

Anyway, if Nikki were hired now, I’d like to see her make changes to her assisting staff, though. She needs to ditch one of her current staffers and replace that person with a mastermind of offenses. She’d be golden with that one tweak.

Last edited:
I guess I don't take it all quite so seriously - I was really only kidding when I threw out Semeka Randall and Butts (I think I meant Tasha, not Niya). Was throwing out ex LVs I loved who had actually coached in reply to all the calls for Kara and Candace who not only have never coached but have said repeatedly they don't want to.

If I did think what I think mattered I'd probably want a real vet like Gail G or Wes Moore as a bridge to restore order for a few years then hand off to a proven up and comer. I like both the Oregon guys also. Please no Brenda Frese, I still think she cheats and she whines way too much. How about Rick Insel, Hall of Famer, one of the most successful HS coaches in history, very successful for years at MTSU. He is 66, but he's a Tennessean who Pat liked and respected very much, so might be another who's a good bridge to the future for the LVs.

Reactions: mlindsay
Forget it...…………….Filmer aint gonna fire no one. He was dumb enough to give her an extension. He could care less about the program. She is going to run the program into a BIG hole...……...where is the surprise, been predicted and expounded for years. HOLLY can not Coach. Duh!

Tell me now, how many LV tickets have you bought in your lifetime? CPF was pretty busy prioritizing getting the bell cow out of the ditch, and yes he does like Holly and he does show respect the path that Pat laid out as she bowed out of the picture, but he is not going to let the program continue to slide. FOR SURE he is not going to do anything this week but Back Pat as should any self respecting VOL.. Kind of figure that Holly knows the deal is done and has been hanging on trying to live up to the hopes of her coach and mentor but she has limits too.... It has got to be tough to admit defeat after not having to deal with much of it as a player and while sitting on the bench next to Pat, and especially when her name is hanging from the rafters overhead. I do hate that so many of the Vol family with the low class coefficient have migrated to this board to share their snarky vitriol in lieu of having rational discussion of a very serious issue. I for sure will discount anyone that thinks anything is going to happen the week of the two We Back Pat games....not an action I want to see associated with the classy lady that led this program to greatness. It will be addressed in a more proper time and will not be expedited by any number of classless and unnecessary cheap shots.

VN Store

Back