Comments from Arkansas coach Mike Anderson

Wow, what a great interview with this coach from Arkansas. I must say I agree with him that our boys are the best in the nation. I turned it over to Va after our game and I think we are better than them. We must keep on playing with humility and hunger for the prize! Go Vols!!

Is it just me or is he bragging about beating the Vols in the second half?

“We came out talking about how we didn’t want to be a spot-‘em team, and I thought we spotted ‘em in the first half, and then we played catch-up from there. But I was proud of our guys fighting in the second half. We outscored ‘em by two. You could say they were up, but they still had their starters in there. They were trying to … you know … they just beat somebody by 40, I think, so I know what was going on.

So you're proud that you didn't lose by 40 and that you won the second half by 2 pts even though you lost the first half by 20. That's Cleveland Brown type talk there...

Class act. Maybe Memphis should hire him

They've tried but he's never shown any interest. The only guys Memphis can hire are high school basketball coaches, a guy with no experience like Pastner and a guy that should have been put out to pasture (fired at Minnesota and run off from UK cuz he couldn't recruit).

Reactions: BreatheUT

“We came out talking about how we didn’t want to be a spot-‘em team, and I thought we spotted ‘em in the first half, and then we played catch-up from there. But I was proud of our guys fighting in the second half. We outscored ‘em by two. You could say they were up, but they still had their starters in there. They were trying to … you know … they just beat somebody by 40, I think, so I know what was going on.

So you're proud that you didn't lose by 40 and that you won the second half by 2 pts even though you lost the first half by 20. That's Cleveland Brown type talk there...
We let off the gas and seemed to be throwing careless shots up late. That's what I saw anyway. I personally was hoping for at least 150 by the end of the game, but we won.

I don't think he's bragging. I actually give them kudos for not giving up, even though I think if we had kept playing we would have still won by almost 40. I think in that situation that's about all you can ask. They weren't going to win, so they were playing for pride in the second half. I can respect that.

I don't think he's bragging. I actually give them kudos for not giving up, even though I think if we had kept playing we would have still won by almost 40. I think in that situation that's about all you can ask. They weren't going to win, so they were playing for pride in the second half. I can respect that.

I’ll give the Arkansas men props for not giving up, how young they are and how bad the first half went they could have folded up and let us go cruise control mode to a 40+ point victory. They did fight, and while they still went into the night, it wasn’t so quietly.

I'm trying to enjoy the moment. But I can't help but already look towards the tournament, good thing I'm not playing hahaha

Our own coach said the exact same thing. Listen to Barnes moaning about the 2nd half letdown where Arky flat out beat us, even with their possible lottery pick fouled out. We lost focus and proper offensive and defensive execution in the 2nd half. I don't think that has happened all season. Hopefully, that does not carry over to Bama, or we'll get beat on our own floor.

We've been phenomenal all year, but I honestly watched the 2nd half last night thinking "this aint like this team, to put anything on cruise control". Outside the last 2 minutes of a blowout. I don't think CRB wants that either.

I’ll give the Arkansas men props for not giving up, how young they are and how bad the first half went they could have folded up and let us go cruise control mode to a 40+ point victory. They did fight, and while they still went into the night, it wasn’t so quietly.

True. But, what cracked me up was that FR big for them who trolled our student section that was taunting him. They were doing their little bye bye cheer timing it with him sitting. He would sit and then stand back up when they tried to finish, 3 or 4 times. It was hilarious and the students loved it too. Unfortunately, Anderson probably still has him running stadium stairs today for "having fun" while getting blasted by 30 points. I thought it was awesome tho.

I understand a coach in his first or second year at a new place using the "young" excuse. Anderson's been at Arky for a while now. Whatever his roster - he assembled it.

I understand a coach in his first or second year at a new place using the "young" excuse. Anderson's been at Arky for a while now. Whatever his roster - he assembled it.

Once Portis and Qualls went pro he loaded up on JUCOs to replace them and now that the JUCOs are gone he has basically a whole new roster. The entire team is back next year, except for Gafford who is the best player. So I'm not sure he survives more than one more year here.

Reactions: Vols All Day
Once Portis and Qualls went pro he loaded up on JUCOs to replace them and now that the JUCOs are gone he has basically a whole new roster. The entire team is back next year, except for Gafford who is the best player. So I'm not sure he survives more than one more year here.

Total rebuild year for y'all with a One & Done in Gafford. I always thot Anderson was a pretty good coach. Was impressed by his coaching energy and motivation for those guys in 2nd half. UT was on cruise control, but those boys didn't lay down once even though they were out manned.

It's often the forbidden fruit temptation of JUCOs and 1&dones. He's dealt in both and is paying this year.

With the way that transfers, JUCOs, lottery picks, and injuries keep rosters in flux, I honestly don't know how these coaches get any sleep. Barnes is reaping what he's sown (and had to pay for in yr1 & 2) after 3 years now. But, after this season, he will no longer have the luxury of possibly 3 major contributors or 2 throwaway seasons to develop more. The fanbase will flip out over 2 years of bubble type teams after getting entitled to the Top10. So, Rick will have to bring in a little better raw talent that can produce faster in order to keep the winning ways. But, if he is too good, then he gets hit with a One & Done type(s) who throws the cycle all out of whack. Add an injury, or dismissal to the mix, and all of sudden were trying to become a "last four in". Predictably, the "Barnes is Here to Retire on our dime" crowd comes crawling back out of the woodwork. B/c the guy all of a sudden forgot how to coach.

I'd take the megasalary, but I have no fondness for what a bigtime CBB staff faces with roster development these days. Anderson is a prime example.

We let off the gas and seemed to be throwing careless shots up late. That's what I saw anyway. I personally was hoping for at least 150 by the end of the game, but we won.
He seemed to insinuate that we were running up the score when he said, "they were up and still had their starters in. We know what they were trying to do. They beat somebody by 40." Also, he complained about how rough we were with their center, but if you were there and watched the Hogs defensively, they were actually holding (arms wrapped completely around defenders body) Grant, Alexander, and Schofield. It went on the whole night and there was never a found called for that. I was amazed. They got them for slapping, reaching, shoving, but not the obvious holding.

It's often the forbidden fruit temptation of JUCOs and 1&dones. He's dealt in both and is paying this year.

With the way that transfers, JUCOs, lottery picks, and injuries keep rosters in flux, I honestly don't know how these coaches get any sleep. Barnes is reaping what he's sown (and had to pay for in yr1 & 2) after 3 years now. But, after this season, he will no longer have the luxury of possibly 3 major contributors or 2 throwaway seasons to develop more. The fanbase will flip out over 2 years of bubble type teams after getting entitled to the Top10. So, Rick will have to bring in a little better raw talent that can produce faster in order to keep the winning ways. But, if he is too good, then he gets hit with a One & Done type(s) who throws the cycle all out of whack. Add an injury, or dismissal to the mix, and all of sudden were trying to become a "last four in". Predictably, the "Barnes is Here to Retire on our dime" crowd comes crawling back out of the woodwork. B/c the guy all of a sudden forgot how to coach.

I'd take the megasalary, but I have no fondness for what a bigtime CBB staff faces with roster development these days. Anderson is a prime example.
I agree with much of this except I think CRB can continue with his current recruiting philosophy and still do well. Burns would have most likely been a top 100 type if he hadn't reclassified and I expect him to be a solid contributor next year. CRB definitely needs 2-3 good guard prospects to complete for Bone, Bowden, and Turners minutes in 2020. I for one won't panick if there's a couple other years development before the next group peaks.

I agree with much of this except I think CRB can continue with his current recruiting philosophy and still do well. Burns would have most likely been a top 100 type if he hadn't reclassified and I expect him to be a solid contributor next year. CRB definitely needs 2-3 good guard prospects to complete for Bone, Bowden, and Turners minutes in 2020. I for one won't panick if there's a couple other years development before the next group peaks.

I consider DJB such a recruiting "upgrade". At least in a ratings sense. CRB is making himself a lot of clout on the recruiting trail I would imagine. I expect to see more and more players like Burns and James. I too could handle such a "mini rebuild", but if he fills the upcoming slots w similar talent as those 2, then we won't see much dropoff.

Look, I know these comparisons are crazy, but I see some Kevin McHale in Burns and Magic in James. I know, crazy. Gaines need a red shirt year as does Pember. Then those 2 will contribute in '20-21. If UT gets Keon, plus whoever, this is going to be at least, a 5 year run

Maybe. Next year's team should still be good assuming nobody of importance leaves but the 2020-2021 team is going to be a down year barring a couple big five star recruits.

VN Store

Back