My biggest hope/Longshot for 2019

Some of you guys act like building an OL is a 20 year process. The development and S&C under Jones were horrible. But two years is enough time to start seeing some significant positive changes. The improvement curve should be much steeper early also. If the OL doesn't take a significant step forward and especially with Chaney... then CJP is probably not "the guy".
Butch recruited a total of 11 offensive linemen his last 3 classes and almost every one of them are gone now, including Trey. We’ve had 3 different offensive coordinators in the last 3 years and this 2019 class is the first full class under Pruitt. It doesn’t take 20 years but I could see us needing one more class simply to have the bodies we need to have on the line. Maybe the line does take a big step forward this year and maybe it doesn’t. The line playing poorly in 2019 doesn’t mean Pruitt isn’t “the guy”, whatever that even means.

Some of you guys act like building an OL is a 20 year process. The development and S&C under Jones were horrible. But two years is enough time to start seeing some significant positive changes. The improvement curve should be much steeper early also. If the OL doesn't take a significant step forward and especially with Chaney... then CJP is probably not "the guy".

Lol. I see what you are doing, already setting Pruitt up for failure. Good job sjt. Yeah so I guess unless the OL doesnt go from the worst in the SEC to the upper tier this year, well then clearly Pruitt isnt the guy. Good grief.

What's wrong with you people?

If you're going to dream then dream BIG!

Sometime this month I'm going to hit a BIG lottery and become wealthy and my Tennessee footVOL Team is going to WIN the National Championship and that's after my Tennessee BasketVOL Teams WINS the National Championship!

VFL...GBO!!!

Reactions: BucksnortVol
My biggest long shot for 2019 is the same for every year ... that we beat UF.
I hate UF. I hate losing to them every year.

If UF were playing the Minions of Hell coached by Satan himself, with Osama Bin Laden as OC and Adolf Hitler as DC, I'd be pulling against UF!

No kidding and no blue font!

The line has to get better some day,right?
If they can develop some pride and meaness and start working together then it will get better. Once again I hope this is the year it happens.

Lol. I see what you are doing, already setting Pruitt up for failure. Good job sjt. Yeah so I guess unless the OL doesnt go from the worst in the SEC to the upper tier this year, well then clearly Pruitt isnt the guy. Good grief.
I see what you are doing. Posting negative crap every chance you get.

They couldn’t get any worse...

Haven't you learned not to say, It can't get any worse

l-35674-just-when-you-think-it-cant-get-any-worse-along-comes-someone-to-prove-you-wrong.jpg

The OL remains in flux. But the Chaney effect will eventually take effect, I say eventually. A shorthanded and undermanned defense will see early struggles, I dare say collapses here and there. But the pieces here, and pieces there that Pruitt has assembled will start playing aggressively and a degree of meanness. I see it going this way barring injuries.

Georgia State W - by 2 points, our patchwork team hasn't meshed yet
BYU L - in a near blowout, a 4th quarter surge after a CJP sideline tirade makes it decent
Chattanooga W - close game but team mesh is better and starts to show.
at Florida * W - defensive struggle then the air Chaney show starts, 2TD victory

Georgia * L - close game but Dog defense just a better than ours.
Mississippi State * L - more or less we piss this one away
at Alabama * L - we just aren't there yet but make it closer than it has been of late..
South Carolina * W - we finally shut MuschRAT up.
UAB W - air Chaney is back in business and defense shows up.
at Kentucky * W - heck of a game for 2qtrs, then we run away.

at Missouri * W - dooley do right or wrong gets dismounted.
Vanderbilt * W - defense does it when it counts the most in a shootout

Hold on. I don't think you understand. We've spent 10 years already building an OL. We are only 10 away from seeing the results. Trust the Big Orange process.

That's pretty ignorant. I have no power whatsoever to "set him up for failure". Next time you get poor service or food at a restaurant you are going to avoid complaining that your standard for performance wasn't met... since doing so would "set them up for failure", right?

Good coaches make progress and it doesn't take 4 or 5 years for it to start to reflect on the field. He was handicapped by the injuries, lack of talent, and severe lack of development this past year. Two years in, he owns more of that. Three years in... he owns it. I think Jones deserved a ton of the blame for the past season.... but less so this fall and close to none next year.

You are the doing a "set up". You are prepositioning excuses for failure. Where were you on Jones at this point in his tenure? I wasn't against him. But I did say things like you responded to... and sure enough he failed. I actually like Pruitt a lot better. Unlike Jones, Pruitt is a football coach. He's a teacher of the game. But neither the standards nor the mile markers change.

Reactions: nash101
Butch recruited a total of 11 offensive linemen his last 3 classes and almost every one of them are gone now, including Trey. We’ve had 3 different offensive coordinators in the last 3 years and this 2019 class is the first full class under Pruitt. It doesn’t take 20 years but I could see us needing one more class simply to have the bodies we need to have on the line. Maybe the line does take a big step forward this year and maybe it doesn’t. The line playing poorly in 2019 doesn’t mean Pruitt isn’t “the guy”, whatever that even means.
If he does not improve even the players he had last year from year 1 to year 2... then he probably isn't "the guy".

The "guy" is the coach who has the coaching talent to turn it around and catches some breaks as well. I feel better about Pruitt's chances than I ever did Jones'. He's a coach... not a used car salesman.

I'll use Jones as an illustration. The best OL he had was the one he inherited from Chaney, Pittman, and Dooley. Rumors at the time were that they basically ignored the "technique" coaching Jones prescribed. The OL was much worse in the following year and people said "give him time he's purging Dooley". In years 3 and 4... not much better but Dobbs made lots of things look better than they were. Year 5 then this past season, we saw the real product of Jones' OL recruiting and development.

I would be shocked if UT has a dominant OL this fall. But they should be noticeably better even if the last starting 5 are the starting 5 for BYU. If Pruitt has hired the right S&C staff then they'll be bigger and stronger. They'll have a whole season of experience, a spring of corrections, a summer of film review, and a pre-season camp to become as sharp as they can. That is A LOT of opportunity to make those guys better.

Expecting Smith to come back is just wishful thinkng. Richmond is gone. Now we all know thats a good thing, BUT, obviously there wasnt anyone good enough to beat him out. Thats a scary thought. Smith played out of position because we didnt have an OL good enough to hold down the LT spot. I think the OL will be a little better but still near the bottom of the SEC.
Things seem to be looking up, so I'm going to say our two five-star freshmen come in and hold their own. Not to mention, Lampley isn't a pushover either.

If he does not improve even the players he had last year from year 1 to year 2... then he probably isn't "the guy".

The "guy" is the coach who has the coaching talent to turn it around and catches some breaks as well. I feel better about Pruitt's chances than I ever did Jones'. He's a coach... not a used car salesman.

I'll use Jones as an illustration. The best OL he had was the one he inherited from Chaney, Pittman, and Dooley. Rumors at the time were that they basically ignored the "technique" coaching Jones prescribed. The OL was much worse in the following year and people said "give him time he's purging Dooley". In years 3 and 4... not much better but Dobbs made lots of things look better than they were. Year 5 then this past season, we saw the real product of Jones' OL recruiting and development.

I would be shocked if UT has a dominant OL this fall. But they should be noticeably better even if the last starting 5 are the starting 5 for BYU. If Pruitt has hired the right S&C staff then they'll be bigger and stronger. They'll have a whole season of experience, a spring of corrections, a summer of film review, and a pre-season camp to become as sharp as they can. That is A LOT of opportunity to make those guys better.
Why does "The Guy" have to have brakes go his way? That has nothing to do with coaching ability, Imo.

In your opinion, what is a “significant step forward”? What ranking would fit the bill? Would it be from 130 to top 10? 130 to 65 (50% improvement)? Which of the potential HC candidates did you want and did not get?

Why does "The Guy" have to have brakes go his way? That has nothing to do with coaching ability, Imo.
I am one who argued that Jones was responsible for UT having a higher than average rate of injuries and roster attrition.

However, even if you are only having the normal levels... the wrong one can hurt you. UT's OL would have been much, much better if Kennedy doesn't get hurt and Smith doesn't have his issues return. Freak practice injuries happen. The Smith thing is a really rare condition but nothing that Pruitt had any control over.

It takes some good breaks... and hopefully some great breaks like avoiding injuries at an unusual level... for even a good coach to make the journey Pruitt is on.

Reactions: Big Al Orange
In your opinion, what is a “significant step forward”? What ranking would fit the bill? Would it be from 130 to top 10? 130 to 65 (50% improvement)? Which of the potential HC candidates did you want and did not get?
My opinion.... top half of the SEC in rushing O, total O, and sacks allowed. Believe it or not... UT tied for 6th in sacks allowed this past year.

I intentionally avoid attaching myself to a particular candidate. I may state opposition or support for a candidate... but there's a lot of info I don't have in a situation like that. I'm actually fine with Pruitt. I hope he does great.

VN Store

Back