Could Guarantano surprise us? (Merged)

I think we'll see improvement. I just don't see this amazing offensive turnaround right away.

Agree. I think there are some who will expect it though. Especially with Chaney and Tee coming. But expectations should be in the realm of reality. This OL will still be bad. In the ranks of SEC, they will. Still be near the bottom.

I mean many have said good riddance to Richmond. Yet, as bad as he was, there wasnt anyone behind him good enough to supplant him.

I know we keep saying this, but the natural expectation is for the veteran returning OL to be improved. Then theres the addition of Morris, potentially Wright as well. The RBs should be improved.
Then you add Jim Chaney and Tee Martin. Now we've heard Jennings is coming back.
I think the defense takes a step in the new system as well and improves a little.
This really is beginning to sound like a recipe for a very successful season for JG, even surprising some of us at VN. Does anyone else see a potential big jump for JG, or is what we've seen all there is?
Nah

I don't get the notion that JG sucks or can't improve.

The guy has a great completion percentage behind not only the worst lines in the SEC but the WHOLE COUNTRY. I'm not sure if the JG naysayers remember but the powerhouse Charlotte had their way with our OL. The only games that they protected JG, well...guess what? JG had his best games.

But sure, let's throw in Shrout or Maurer because that'll give us a better chance. Obviously, blue font.

That great completion percentage he has didn't win enough games for us. JG is overrated.

I know we keep saying this, but the natural expectation is for the veteran returning OL to be improved. Then theres the addition of Morris, potentially Wright as well. The RBs should be improved.
Then you add Jim Chaney and Tee Martin. Now we've heard Jennings is coming back.
I think the defense takes a step in the new system as well and improves a little.
This really is beginning to sound like a recipe for a very successful season for JG, even surprising some of us at VN. Does anyone else see a potential big jump for JG, or is what we've seen all there is?
Here comes the hate....

Step by step, here goes...

1...Jg needs to spend every extra second he has watching film either with a coach or with another QB or someone that can teach him better what to look for on his pre-snap reads.

2...He needs to break the huddle faster so he has a few extra seconds to read the D better.

3...After making his reads he needs to call the correct protection so the O line, TE and RB knows exactly what JG expects from their blocking.

4...JG needs to know exactly when to change the play to a run or a pass after he makes his reads.

5...He needs to stop staring down the WR he expects to pass to.

6...He needs to learn to lead the WR's a bit more so they can make the catch in stride and try to get more YAC.

7...He needs to work with our track team to learn to take off and sprint faster.

8...When he sees a opening to run and can't pass he needs to take off like a rocket and go get some yards to make the down and distance more in our favor, being tough is great but be tough when running and getting positive yards.

Too many times the D line blasted right through the middle of our O line and JG had no chance at all.

O line must work harder to get bigger and stronger!

Our starting center should be back so that should be 1 spot improved.

We need 2 really strong, tough guards to help the Center stop the middle of the line from opening up so fast.

I expect to see some improvements from JG and our O line but I don't expect miracles.

6 Wins is a must and back to a bowl game and the much needed 15 extra practices.

7 Wins is a good year.

8 Wins is a great year with so many changes and a weak D line.

9 Wins and Pruitt should be the SEC Coach of the Year.

I EXPECT 6 Wins as a minimum.

There's LOTS of study and work for out boys to do.

VFL...GBO!

I like how people assume he doesn’t know pre snap reads when those said people don’t know what his reads are. Lol
I've called them out on that. They have no idea what his reads are, what his audibles are and what protections he calls. But they KNOW he is doing it wrong. With absolutely no evidence.

Reactions: k-town_king
Lol. The only thing that JG will surprise people with is his concistencty at being not good every year.

I've called them out on that. They have no idea what his reads are, what his audibles are and what protections he calls. But they KNOW he is doing it wrong. With absolutely no evidence.
The evidence is in his body of work..and 2 years with only 9 wins..

Reactions: BreatheUT
JG is good. I don't get everyone's issue with him. Kid clearly has the physical talent, makes great, accurate throws. We needed a better OL and an offense that puts him in a position to succeed, he wasn't given that this past year. I think Chaney will do this.

Amazing how many people don’t believe this.

I don't think a fair assessment can be made of JG's skills until he has, at least, an average Oline. Not that this view will stop speculation, but, I just don't think we have enough data. Heck, look at other players who have left an excelled.

Lol. The only thing that JG will surprise people with is his concistencty at being not good every year.
So does that mean he will be good or not? I don't know what that word means.

The only consistent thing in this conversation is your usual ignorance.

LoL. Yeah, he had nothing to do with our offensive struggles. It's all the O-line's fault
Whether you think JG is any good or not, it's impossible to watch last season and not know what the major problem was.

Last edited:
Reactions: k-town_king
Haven't checked this forum in weeks but glad to see every mouth breathing 60 year old is still blaming our 121st ranked offense entirely on JG. Please tell me how the 11th best QB in the SEC could succeed more behind an O-Line that ranked 127th in Line Yards, 123rd in Power Success Rate, 130th in Stuff Rate, 106th in Sack Rate, and had the depth of a puddle. Lol you guys still suck

Agree 100%. People forget that despite constant pressure, JG has flashed a lot of power and accuracy. Other than not recognizing blitzes occasionally, he's really been a very good QB for us for the past year or so. Our entire offense is back with some incoming FR that could contribute immediately. Remember - JG was a high 4* talent that many teams wanted. Add to that an offensive scheme that hopefully works to hide any deficiencies we might still have on the OL - more rollouts, chip blocks, draws, shovel passes, etc.

Agree 100%. People forget that despite constant pressure, JG has flashed a lot of power and accuracy. Other than not recognizing blitzes occasionally, he's really been a very good QB for us for the past year or so. Our entire offense is back with some incoming FR that could contribute immediately. Remember - JG was a high 4* talent that many teams wanted. Add to that an offensive scheme that hopefully works to hide any deficiencies we might still have on the OL - more rollouts, chip blocks, draws, shovel passes, etc.
Yep try something different. What they have been doing hasn’t worked for J.G. Is he mobile at all? Hope more than he’s shown. Don’t expect O.L. To improve to even adequate in one year.

I hope he takes a Crompton like turn and is the stud everyone thinks he is.

VN Store

Back