Gatlinburg Vacation?

Hoosier_Vol

Vol Stuck in B1G 10 Hell
Thinking of taking our first Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge vacation in the Summer and was wondering about any tips VN might have for those that have been? Cabins? Must see attractions?

Reactions: Orange_Vol1321
Check on groupon for places to stay. They have some good deals on there from time to time. Sometimes u can find hotels with a waterpark for a good deal. Want good steaks, eat at the peddler. Do one of the mountain roller coasters. Go up to ober gatlinburg. Plenty of go karts to ride and putt putt to play. The Ripleys aquarium is cool. Ride the skywheel at The Island. I probably wouldn't do Dollywood with kids under 5. My kids love Pigeon Forge / Gatlinburg. They like it better than going to Disney.

Get a cabin, preferably not one of those in a "Cabin Resort". Try vrbo.com. We have stayed for 8 years straight in a 2-bedroom cabin looking right out at Mt. LeConte. Google "Cloudy Dreams". 2 bedrooms; sleeps six; and raccoons and bears off the back deck every evening (no, we don't feed them, but it's obvious that previous guests have). Peddler is okay, but the steaks at Calhoun's are just as good, and the menu is better. If it's all about a steak, go to Alamo. Alpine Slide in Pigeon Forge is the best one there. Ober Gatlinburg is okay, but not all that. Ripley's Aquarium is a must-see, especially if you have kids. Dollywood is a hoot, as is her show in Pigeon Forge. The Island is a good place for kids; lots for them to do there.

But you go to the Smokies to go to the Smokies. Get up in them mountains. Take hikes. Go to Cades Cove. Go to Newfound Gap, and stand where FDR stood. Clingman's Dome. Rainbow Falls. Pick one; they're all good. Find the "off the RADAR" hikes, like Indian Flats Falls.

Hit the Arts & Crafts Loop in Gatlinburg. Lunch at Three Jimmy's. Get a no-**** malt at the Glades Soda Fountain. All kinds of stuff to see, do, and buy on the loop.

Must-eat-at's are The Old Mill Restaurant (breakfast), and the Apple Barn (Sevierville, lunch / dinner). Drive over to Townsend and visit Appalachian Bear Rescue, and have lunch at the Black Bear cafe. Get a smokin' cup of coffee and chocolate covered coffee beans at the Artistic Bean.

The best experiences in the Smokies are those that take place off the beaten path. So go find them.

If you stay at a cabin, lock your vehicle doors. Bears have learned how to get into unlocked vehicles, and then can't get out. Result? You need a new vehicle. Bears are a constant presence at the cabin we stay at. We watched a sow and two cubs try to get into our Pathfinder. Mama left a muddy footprint on the door. When I walk our Sheperd, I always carry a bear fogger. We have seen bear and coyotes while walking. I grew up in the Smokies, and I am seriously concerned at the obvious increase in bear/human interactions. In the last couple of years, we have seen disoriented (and scared) bears in downtown Gatlinburg. One of these days, somebody is going to get seriously mauled by a bear. The bear will pay with it's life; hopefully the human won't.

Not trying to scare you away, but be "Bear Aware".

I had good luck with rentals in the Chalet Village but that was before the fire so I don't know what happened to inventory. I think it's better to stay in Gburg and to to PF if you need to as opposed to staying in PF/Wear's Valley and going to Gburg and the Smokies.

Agree with GreyWolf - get those kids into the park. I always liked to picnic at Metcalf Bottoms - good place with little ones . The Chimney's picnic ground is good too for creek crawling. Personally I've avoided Cades Cove on my last couple trips because it's been insanely crowded. If it's a week day yes.

The Sinks and the "Y" are places I spent a lot of time as a kid so I always hit them.

Yes, under 5 yrs old
Traffic will be bumper to bumper but thats just par for the course here in the summer. To drive a mile might take 45mins to an hour. The rod run is in April and September so you will miss that traffic. But during the Summer the city tries to have something every weekend. Check that here.

https://www.pigeonforgetnguide.com/events/

Where to stay...

Wilderness of the smokies is a resort with its own indoor/outdoor waterpark. It's on the outside of all the humble and bumble as you come in. I've heard good reviews and bad reviews. Never stayed there.
Wilderness at the Smokies - Tennessee's Largest Waterpark Resort

When I stay in a cabin for a weekend getaway I usually use VRBO. I like that all my transaction is paid online (dont have to go to the cabin rental office) and I can go straight to the cabin with a code for the door lock. Either way, you can find what you want whether using it or a cabin rental company as for what you want like game room, pet friendly, spectacular views, or indoor private pool in the cabin itself. Just depends on budget. Most of the cabins are in resort properties and also allow you to use the community pool for that cabin resort also.

Check out this VRBO rental:
https://t.vrbo.io/7BsfuX5cuT

I stayed in that cabin in the link last April. The lady I'm dating had a daughter having a birthday that wanted 4 friends over. They had a blast. Very nice Cabin. Not sure you need two bedrooms but thought I'd throw that one out there since I've stayed in it.

Gatlinburg Cabins | Pigeon Forge Cabins - Rentals in TN

Have used this company before without a problem. They have rentals in Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg. I can't link the cabin I stayed at because it burned down in the wildfires a few years back.

Dollywood's Smoky Mountain Cabins | Pigeon Forge Cabins
If your wanting something close to Dollywood and Dollywood Splash Country they have their own cabins. You can also find cabins close to Dollywood in the others I have mentioned. Don't know of anyone that has used these, probably a little higher with the name attached but not sure.

Things to do... Pigeon Forge

Dollywood and Dollywood's Splash Country | Dolly Parton's Smoky Mountain Vacation Destination

Dollywood's Splash Country Water Adventure Park | Smoky Mountains

This just opened last fall and seems to be a big hit.
It's always 60 to 70 degrees inside but with snow tubing.

Pigeon Forge Snow | Indoor Snow Tubing All Year Long

Flyaway Indoor Skydiving | Indoor Skydiving - Pigeon Forge, TN
Heard nothing but good stuff about the indoor skydiving. Never tried it but plan on it.

If you all want to do a little shopping while here there's Tanger outlet. It has any and every outlet store you could think of. Just get there first thing in the morning when they open. Gets very busy through the day.
Tanger Outlets | Sevierville, TN | Stores

There's a plethora of go cart tracks, arcades, and putt putt. To many to list. There's way more but If you see something your interested in that I haven't listed just ask.

Things to do......Gatlinburg

Ripley's Aquarium of the Smokies | Gatlinburg, TN
Been through this and it's very nice and something to see.

Ober Gatlinburg has indoor Ice skating year round with a restaurant and candy shops. If it was winter when you come there would be more activities like skiing, snow boarding, and tubing but they do have a pretty good size water slide at the top the run in summer. You can drive up and park which costs $5 now. But I would suggest riding the Tram up to it if you decided to go.
https://obergatlinburg.com
https://obergatlinburg.com/aerial-tramway/

The space needle in Gatlinburg is nice to go up for some pictures and great views. Over 400' in the air.
https://www.gatlinburgspaceneedle.com

The Gatlinburg Sky lift also has spectacular views. It is completely brand new since the wildfires. I haven't rode it since it was rebuilt. But the views should be the same as I remember from before and beautiful.
Gatlinburg Sky Lift

There's other stuff like Ripley's believe it or not museum and things like that. Again you see something you want to know something about ask away.
If you're going to have maybe the grandparents with you to allow you to get out there's all kinds of moonshine, microbreweries, and wine tasting whether in Pigeon Forge or Gatlinburg.

Food...

https://www.alamosteakhouse.com
One in Pigeon Forge and one in Gatlinburg. The Gatlinburg one was just rebuilt after the wildfires. Delicious steaks. A little pricey but very good.

My favorite place to go or eat in PF is Bluffs. It has a tiny sign. Not alot of tourists even know it's there. Food is delicious and they have over 31 beers on draft. Pool tables, darts, cornhole, and ping pong all inside.
http://www.bluffsgrillandtap.com

The old mill in PF doesn't play around when it comes to food and portions. One of my favorite places for breakfast.
http://old-mill.com/page/omr-breakfast
http://old-mill.com/page/omr-lunch
http://old-mill.com/page/omr-dinner

And you have Olive Garden, TGIF, longhorn, Outback etc. of all the chain eateries also.

Questions? Lol. There's alot I'm missing even though I live here. Maybe others can suggest things I have forgotten.

If you stay at a cabin, lock your vehicle doors. Bears have learned how to get into unlocked vehicles, and then can't get out. Result? You need a new vehicle. Bears are a constant presence at the cabin we stay at. We watched a sow and two cubs try to get into our Pathfinder. Mama left a muddy footprint on the door. When I walk our Sheperd, I always carry a bear fogger. We have seen bear and coyotes while walking. I grew up in the Smokies, and I am seriously concerned at the obvious increase in bear/human interactions. In the last couple of years, we have seen disoriented (and scared) bears in downtown Gatlinburg. One of these days, somebody is going to get seriously mauled by a bear. The bear will pay with it's life; hopefully the human won't.

Not trying to scare you away, but be "Bear Aware".
These people are coming in and trying to get close so they can film or take a selfie with the bear. All they're doing is putting their life in danger and making the bear possibly get euthanized. People just don't use their head anymore.

Speaking of a bear, I remember one being in an enclosure back in the 70s people would buy coca colas for. It would drink as many as the people would buy for it. Sure it died of diabetes.

Reactions: malinoisvol
Some things to add.
City of Pigeon Forge, Tennessee
We do have the third largest rural transit system in the US. Get to a trolley stop and it will take you from PF to Gatlinburg or vise versa with stops all through each town.

Cades cove is nice to see some wildlife. Basically a slow driving loop through some beautiful scenery.
http://www.cadescove.net
Cades Cove - Great Smoky Mountains National Park (U.S. National Park Service)

Someone mentioned this earlier thought I would include the link.
https://islandinpigeonforge.com/play/the-great-smoky-mountain-wheel/
This is at the "island". You have Margaritaville and Paula Deens restaurant next to it.

Tennessee Smokies has a stadium out at 407 exit that you will take to head towards PF/Gatlinburg. They are a Cubs affiliate and was voted top Double A organization in 2018. A good baseball experience in a very nice stadium.
SMOKIES ANNOUNCE 2019 SCHEDULE

Last edited:
Someone already said it, but hit the Peddler up for dinner. Do the call ahead seating (look up their website).

Their pricing for kids is awesome. Steak/salad bar/drink is $1 per year of age.

These people are coming in and trying to get close so they can film or take a selfie with the bear. All they're doing is putting their life in danger and making the bear possibly get euthanized. People just don't use their head anymore.

Speaking of a bear, I remember one being in an enclosure back in the 70s people would buy coca colas for. It would drink as many as the people would buy for it. Sure it died of diabetes.
As a young'n, I thought that bear was awesome.

Go to Blue Ridge, Ga or Aska wilderness area. Rent a cabin, hike, enjoy nature and avoid the horrible tourist trap PF and Gatlinburg have become.

+1 on the Apple Barn. Look for the off the path places to eat, mom and pop places. You will be overwhelmed with the tourist stuff, mini golf, etc. in Pigeon Forge and Sevierville. Cades Cove is a long ride to look at the wildlife and is a very scenic place. I loved hiking to the falls. We always enjoyed going to the Chimneys and letting the kids play on the rocks and the water. Go to a Smokies game. Cheap family entertainment. Floating a tube down the river is pretty nice too. I also give a +1 to VRBO.com.

VN Store

Back