Alabama vs Clemson

This starts looking a bit more true to me. If Harris enters the portal even more truth to it.

The Harris story came from a fake Bruce Feldman twitter account. There is zero truth to it. With D Harris and Jacobs both gone, Najee is going to get a ton of carries in 2019.

It was really just his best QB ever. I don't think this was Saban's best set of RBs or best O-line. His WRs were really good, but they also had Tua throwing to them. This was the first Saban-coached Alabama team that had a truly dynamic QB, which led a bunch of people to think it was his best team.
Interesting you say this. I thought they fell in love with the pass when running the ball seemed to be working well.

Reactions: WhitewaterVol
It was really just his best QB ever. I don't think this was Saban's best set of RBs or best O-line. His WRs were really good, but they also had Tua throwing to them. This was the first Saban-coached Alabama team that had a truly dynamic QB, which led a bunch of people to think it was his best team.

I believe it was opposite this. Tua is a good to great QB, but I believe the clear talent advantage around him is what made him look video game like this season.

Tua’s average stats against the 3 top 15 defenses played this year:

57% passing
207.7 yards/game
1.33 td/game
1.67 int/game

Tua on an average team still puts up highlights and makes great plays...no doubt...but doesn’t look near as good as he does now or get the hype.

Tua's accuracy is amazing and he would get attention wherever he played. Certainly playing for a terrible team would curtail that a lot, but he's very good.

Tua's accuracy is amazing and he would get attention wherever he played. Certainly playing for a terrible team would curtail that a lot, but he's very good.

I don’t disagree with any of this. I think Tua is good, but the numbers are inflated. It will be interesting to see how good he is in the league.

I knew the hype about Bama was overblown this year when they struggled against Citadel.

I am curious about problems in the coaches office rather than in the locker room. Even ESPN wrote an article about the high number of staff leaving. Some for positions you would struggle to say are better.

I am curious about problems in the coaches office rather than in the locker room. Even ESPN wrote an article about the high number of staff leaving. Some for positions you would struggle to say are better.

Could you explain what you mean? Every coach that left took a position that would be considered a promotion when compared to his position at Bama. I mean, one could certainly debate whether being the "Associate Head Coach" at Georgia Tech is a better gig than being a position coach at Bama, but at the very least the move comes with a bump in pay.

I believe it was opposite this. Tua is a good to great QB, but I believe the clear talent advantage around him is what made him look video game like this season.

Tua’s average stats against the 3 top 15 defenses played this year:

57% passing
207.7 yards/game
1.33 td/game
1.67 int/game

Tua on an average team still puts up highlights and makes great plays...no doubt...but doesn’t look near as good as he does now or get the hype.
Alabama has had that talent advantage you describe as long as Saban has been there, and Tua is his first QB to put up video game passing stats.

As far as his numbers against good defenses, to be fair to you have to throw out his numbers against Georgia - he got hurt during the game and was ultimately replaced. He did struggle against Clemson, but he carved up LSU, which had a pretty good defense.

That doesn't answer my question. At best you have this paragraph:

Not only had offensive coordinator Mike Locksley left to become the head coach at Maryland, as expected, but offensive line coach Brent Key left for the same position at Georgia Tech, which was at best a lateral move. Then, co-offensive coordinator and receivers coach Josh Gattis left to become the OC at Michigan, which is a step up but not exactly a leap, either. And mere minutes after the trio of underclassmen wrapped up their news conference, it was announced that Dan Enos, the current quarterbacks coach and Locksley's presumptive replacement, would be off to Miami to become the offensive coordinator under new coach Manny Diaz.

You said "Some for positions you would struggle to say are better." Which ones, other than Key (which, again, came with an AHC tag and more money), would you say aren't better? All of them are promotions in both title, responsibility, and salary.

I also think the last sentence of the quoted paragraph makes an inaccurate assumption. To say that Enos was "Locksley's presumptive replacement" is to "presume" that Saban was going to offer Enos the job. I'm not convinced that presumption is correct.

Alabama has had that talent advantage you describe as long as Saban has been there, and Tua is his first QB to put up video game passing stats.

As far as his numbers against good defenses, to be fair to you have to throw out his numbers against Georgia - he got hurt during the game and was ultimately replaced. He did struggle against Clemson, but he carved up LSU, which had a pretty good defense.

But in the past the QBs were not asked to do what Tua is doing. Plus, how well have all the past Bama QBs fared in the league when having to face equal competition? Like I said, it will be real interesting to see how good he really is facing a field with more parity every week.

I look at it like this, if JG played on Bama I don’t think he would look as good as Tua, but he would definitely look a lot better. Maybe in the top 3-5 QBs in the league. In the Clemson game we got a true taste of what Tua could do facing the pressure JG has to face every game. The talent around Tua makes a huge difference.

I don’t want it to sound like I don’t think Tua is a good QB, because obviously he is. I just don’t think he is other worldly like he is made out to be. Tua is what you get when a good QB is put on a team where he isn’t really needed to beat (almost) every team on the schedule anyway. Bama may not have looked as strong or won as big with the third string QB but in my opinion they are still undefeated going into the playoffs with the bench warmer back there handing the ball off and throwing high percentage throws.

VN Store

Back