Lady Vols vs. Georgia Game Thread

I trust your analysis. I'll have to tune in and see though. I am a bit behind on games (gotta watch all the B12 & B10 games I missed last week) so I probably won't watch it live unless I'm caught up. I think you predicted today's loss like last week didn't you? I don't really know what to make of them. They are sort of hard to figure out.

I did pick UGA to win. I didn't expect them to fall behind so big early, but I watched them play MSST and saw that the double post of Stati/Robinson would provide a rebounding challenge for Tennessee. They essentially played Tennessee even on the glass in the second half, and taking those easy points away was the difference IMO.

I also picked UK to win, but for different reasons. I thought the guard trio of Murray, Morris and Howard would have a field day. I was 33% right, which makes that loss even worse.

I think they are pretty easy to figure out. They hit the glass hard and will score a lot of second chance points...either putbacks or from the FT line. Take that away and they have zero inside game. That means it's just Evina and Rennia trying to create off the dribble, and that's no consistent way to get points.

I think of the remaining games, ND, MSST, SC and TAMU are automatic losses. Auburn, LSU and Missouri are 50/50. What really scares me are the games they should run away with, like Bama, Arky, Ole Miss, UF and Vandy. I'm not convinced they go 6-0 vs. those cellar dwellers.

Reactions: Momto2
I think of the remaining games, ND, MSST, SC and TAMU are automatic losses. Auburn, LSU and Missouri are 50/50. What really scares me are the games they should run away with, like Bama, Arky, Ole Miss, UF and Vandy. I'm not convinced they go 6-0 vs. those cellar dwellers.

Ole Miss beat Kentucky today, so that one is definitely not a given! Every Tenn. game is a wait and see thing.

Reactions: T.J.
Forget trying to analyze fg %....zone vs man to man etc etc. Let's break it down. Harley Warlick is a disgrace and disaster. We should drop out of the top 25...and this clown show is going nowhere. Doesn't matter how good our recruiting classes are. Harley does NOTHING with them....ever. This should be the final straw. Does Phil have the guts to do what is necessary? I wonder. This is an insult to Pat Summitt and dishonoring her legacy. How long is Phil gonna wait to do his friggin job and end this?

Reactions: GameTime and T.J.
Ole Miss beat Kentucky today, so that one is definitely not a given! Every Tenn. game is a wait and see thing.

In fairness, UK was without Morris and Murray was clearly not 100%. But that's still more than what was on the court in the 4th quarter when they beat Tennessee...

Ole Miss seems to have this thing for humongous post players with great hands. They have another one who transferred in who made some big 4th quarter plays today. If her, Allen and Sessom are all on, I could see Ole Miss winning this one.

I did pick UGA to win. I didn't expect them to fall behind so big early, but I watched them play MSST and saw that the double post of Stati/Robinson would provide a rebounding challenge for Tennessee. They essentially played Tennessee even on the glass in the second half, and taking those easy points away was the difference IMO.

I also picked UK to win, but for different reasons. I thought the guard trio of Murray, Morris and Howard would have a field day. I was 33% right, which makes that loss even worse.

I think they are pretty easy to figure out. They hit the glass hard and will score a lot of second chance points...either putbacks or from the FT line. Take that away and they have zero inside game. That means it's just Evina and Rennia trying to create off the dribble, and that's no consistent way to get points.

If they can't win those last 6 they may end up bowing out in the round of 32 @ the NCAAs. What's hard for me to figure out is what the plan is when they sub. It's like it's done absentmindedly. You can't tell who's in charge or what they are trying to run. Almost as if the lines ups aren't ones they have practiced with. I am always trying to figure out who is the leader on the floor usually it's Westbrook and then when they sub her out it gets muddy. Sometimes it's Jackson but that's if she goes and gets the ball and if she doesn't its chaos.

If they can't win those last 6 they may end up bowing out in the round of 32 @ the NCAAs. What's hard for me to figure out is what the plan is when they sub. It's like it's done absentmindedly. You can't tell who's in charge or what they are trying to run. Almost as if the lines ups aren't ones they have practiced with. I am always trying to figure out who is the leader on the floor usually it's Westbrook and then when they sub her out it gets muddy. Sometimes it's Jackson but that's if she goes and gets the ball and if she doesn't its chaos.

Post subbing today was to manage foul trouble. Looked like rotation tightened once the lead started dwindling. Westbrook played almost all of the game. Masssengill is her backup, but presents an enormous drop off in productivity.

Looks like Zaay Green was subbed out for Burrell for most of the 4th quarter. She played with lot of energy and really battled for loose balls. But she can't shoot ...

Reactions: Momto2
E. Westbrook last 3 games she scored, 23, 20, and 16. She was the # 2 player in her class, I will accept what she had done the last three games. R. Davis 6, 12 and 16 this is not acceptable from a top # 5 player in her class. K. Kushkituah was playing very well till she hurt her knee just don't have her confidence back, yes she is a little slow but a lot of big girls are. C. Green has been playing her heart out just to many fouls. Today they started out great and for some reason they lost there energy. It makes me sad when they loose.

Reactions: Rickster
E. Westbrook last 3 games she scored, 23, 20, and 16. She was the # 2 player in her class, I will accept what she had done the last three games. R. Davis 6, 12 and 16 this is not acceptable from a top # 5 player in her class. K. Kushkituah was playing very well till she hurt her knee just don't have her confidence back, yes she is a little slow but a lot of big girls are. C. Green has been playing her heart out just to many fouls. Today they started out great and for some reason they lost there energy. It makes me sad when they loose.
This is good post. As you said, they started good then faded. Why, we do not know. Also, is Westbrook so superior to her teammates? I find this hard to believe.

Reactions: Ladyvol777
Holly's limited coaching abilities can be summed up in Davis's dribble with one second left.....Pitiful.

Did Holly not tell her squad there is only one second left? Don't dribble......SHOOT!!!!!!
THIS !!! She needs to be coaching on the middle school level. UNBELIEVABLE the $$$ she is getting paid to run this program into the ground.

Reactions: T.J.
This is good post. As you said, they started good then faded. Why, we do not know. Also, is Westbrook so superior to her teammates? I find this hard to believe.
Westbrook is not superior to her teammates, just living up to her high school ranking is all i said. I still hope the other girls do. Love the Lady Vols.

Reactions: Smallvol#1
Westbrook is not superior to her teammates, just living up to her high school ranking is all i said. I still hope the other girls do. Love the Lady Vols.
I agreed with what you said about Westbrook. I was questioning why this is true. She is certainly not superior to her teammates.

E. Westbrook last 3 games she scored, 23, 20, and 16. She was the # 2 player in her class, I will accept what she had done the last three games. R. Davis 6, 12 and 16 this is not acceptable from a top # 5 player in her class.

Davis wasn't a top 5 player in her class, although she arguably should've been. I believe she was ranked somewhere between 8-12.

Holly has had a plethora of HSAAs in her time as HC but has yet to coach one to college AA status, unless Westbrook breaks that streak this year.

Davis wasn't a top 5 player in her class, although she arguably should've been. I believe she was ranked somewhere between 8-12.

Holly has had a plethora of HSAAs in her time as HC but has yet to coach one to college AA status, unless Westbrook breaks that streak this year.

Probably has f'd up more careers if she gets credited for anything.

Because UT powers are excepting mediocrity, what Pat has built will continue to decline...so sad.......

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190113-233225_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20190113-233225_Chrome.jpg
    685.6 KB · Views: 29
Reactions: fastvol7
I agreed with what you said about Westbrook. I was questioning why this is true. She is certainly not superior to her teammates.
Westbrook scores more than her highly rated teammates because, as point guard, she has the ball the most. In the 4th quarter she took it upon herself to score and drove to the basket repeatedly.

Westbrook scores more than her highly rated teammates because, as point guard, she has the ball the most. In the 4th quarter she took it upon herself to score and drove to the basket repeatedly.

Well clearly no one else was stepping up and doing much. So she took it upon herself as the point guard of the team and scored the ball.

Well clearly no one else was stepping up and doing much. So she took it upon herself as the point guard of the team and scored the ball.
Isn't that what I said ? She took it upon herself to score. No one, Evina included, was doing much within a team concept offensively. So, she had the ball and decided to do something with it.

Isn't that what I said ? She took it upon herself to score. No one, Evina included, was doing much within a team concept offensively. So, she had the ball and decided to do something with it.

If she was at the 2 Postion, she would still be scoring as much. Not just she’s the point guard with the ball in her hand.

Post subbing today was to manage foul trouble. Looked like rotation tightened once the lead started dwindling. Westbrook played almost all of the game. Masssengill is her backup, but presents an enormous drop off in productivity.

Looks like Zaay Green was subbed out for Burrell for most of the 4th quarter. She played with lot of energy and really battled for loose balls. But she can't shoot ...

Burrell can shoot even Holly said that, It`s Just Holly is leaning on this leadership garbage But Amb3096 it`s all good i think Holly will need to make a lineup change soon. Not sure what it will look like but it`s long over due.

Reactions: Coach Jumper
I strongly disagree that Westbrook has lived up to her hs ranking or her obvious potential. She scores more because as pg she's stuck with the ball more after the requisite 20 seconds of dribbling while the other four stand around and then has to do the ten second desperation drive that passes for the Lady Vol offense. Things went better in the first half against Georgia only because more of Evina twisting, falling prayers were answered. And she remains a turnover machine

That said, I would agree that neither she nor anyone else has had any chance to live up to their hype due to the total lack of player development that plaques the program and the total lack of any semblance of an executable offensive plan. I would also add that EW does seem to be one of the most, and only, mentally tough and determined LVs.

Every Game is a wait and see and it has been that way for the past 3-5 years. We all assumed what the team was capable of accomplishing, but they haven't under CHW.

When you recruit at a high level and can't get the team production that CHW failed to achieve with this talent, then something has got to give and change. I am not sure who is coaching this team. CHW drew up a plan and then sought the approval of an assistant coach. The players see this and it's like who is the coach. Regardless she is second guessing herself...

This team's failure rests on CHW there are zero X's and O's and her teams look like Pick-up Games at the gym or worse.

We have had Free-throw problems this year and it appears that this issue has not even been addressed.

VN Store

Back