Barnes Messing with Kesling

All I’m saying is I could see why someone would look at an older coached who had just been let go and seemingly appeared to have his best years behind him and think that. I wasn’t one who automatically assumed he would coast to mediocrity to collect a paycheck but even I had doubts of it being a good hire. (Glad my doubts never came to fruition for once!). All in all I try to stay fair and don’t think people being skeptical were being unreasonable.(especially considering how few things had gone right for this program as well).

Fair enough, I just don’t know why so many wanted to make definitive claims rather than even give a chance to see if maybe they were wrong.

I like Bob and Bert for basketball. Football is a different story
I couldn't begin to tolerate Bert and Ernie, I mean Bob, if it wasn't for Bert. Unfortunately, grammar matters to me. I just always pray for our players to be named Smith or Jones, but even then, it has Benin messed up at times.

All I’m saying is I could see why someone would look at an older coached who had just been let go and seemingly appeared to have his best years behind him and think that. I wasn’t one who automatically assumed he would coast to mediocrity to collect a paycheck but even I had doubts of it being a good hire. (Glad my doubts never came to fruition for once!). All in all I try to stay fair and don’t think people being skeptical were being unreasonable.(especially considering how few things had gone right for this program as well).
I had the same thoughts as you on the subject. I was happy with the hiring because at that point in time, I thought he was the best coach for us as far as stabilizing the program. I had no illusions of grandeur that we would be Top 5, but hoped we would be decent. However, I was skeptical of either of those scenarios. I don't think it was unreasonable to think that basketball might not be above average, that maybe Barnes would coast or not be successful after dealing with the shock of the Texas debacle. Have to say that I'm glad we got what we got out of him. Sometimes, when we really don't know someone personally, we are pleasantly surprised when we learn more and get to know more about them. I met him at a charity auction the first year he was hired, and as a person, I was sold on his contributions to people in general. Truly, I'm now sold on his ability, to mold, refine, reshape, and to develop, teach, and coach.

Fair enough, I just don’t know why so many wanted to make definitive claims rather than even give a chance to see if maybe they were wrong.
This. The immediate decision by some that he was destined to fail without even the slightest bit of optimism that a future HOF coach might just know what he's doing is why it wasn't reasonable. It's fair to have doubts, and to have not been thrilled by the hire. He wasn't my first choice, either. Not giving him a chance, though, is just foolhardy. And those who continued to perpetuate the belief that he wouldn't succeed just because they couldn't bring themselves to admit they were wrong, even when he had proven he could last season, look dumber with every day that passes.

I wouldn't confuse Bob Kesling with Jeff Jacoby any more than Kesling and Margie Ison. Kesling is from the Dayton, Ohio area and grew up as an Ohio State fan. He's admitted that several times.
i puked on margie ison once . at the museum of Appalachia . i was about in the 6th grade or something . never will forget it .

I met Margie around the same age, 10ish, at the Dunkin Donuts that used be across the street from Fulton on Broadway. I was starstruck, mind of a 10 year old, she hugged me. I bragged for a week. Of course, the first thing my Granddaddy said when I told him was, "she's a drunk and did u grab her a$$". Granddaddy was one of a kind, ran tip-boards, owned a foot long hot-dog stand with the carnival and gambled(pinochle, I think) after he retired. Took me with him, one summer with the carnival. That summer was fun and an eye opener, wouldn't trade that summer for any of my other 48, but maybe that first summer with my 1st love. Wow, I went from Margie to Granddaddy to Becky, time to quit drinking. Happy New Year, guys and gals

We could do worse. At least we don't have a screamer for football or BB. He and Bert are listenable.
Basketball isn't Bob's issue as he and Bert are fine. However, football is a whole different story. Listened to a game this year while I was traveling and he is almost unlistenable. Got names mixed up constantly, rarely called the score, yard line, or down, and just generally seemed confused. It was slightly sad.

Pretty gratifying for a coach just biding his time till retirememt.
Note to fans on boards:
Never pass up an opportunity to keep your mouth shut.

Football program could take note. What a difference hiring a guy who is not doing on the job training.

Barnes to Bob tonight, "yeah, I heard the Vol Network was going to do a special with u on the beach near Gainesville with u in your new swimsuit". Bwaa-ha-ha

Barnes was funny in the MO game post-game, he said to Bob on the upcoming trip to Florida-- "hey Bob, heard the Vol network is doing a special this weekend on you modeling swimwear at the beach"! LMAO, Bob said "I'm not getting anywhere near the beach"!

Reactions: The Dog
Barnes did it again tonight. Barnes, " The best thing on this trip was seeing u at the pool with your new swimsuit. U know what? I'm buying your next swimsuit because that thing u had on today was ridiculous ". Bwaa-ha-ha

Bob's a lot better at calling basketball games than he is at calling football games. Dare I say it, pretty good at basketball. Sucks at football, I agree. But, Barnes does give him he!! in the interviews. Bob did have a nice comeback on Barnes saying he would buy him a new swimsuit, Bob, "about time u spent some money"

Reactions: spyfish007 and CPA
The guy calling the Ladyvol games makes all commentators look good. That guy must own the station or something, how does he stay on the air?

Actually he was fired from the station. But the announcers work for Host Communications (or whatever it's called these days) out of Kentucky.

The guy calling the Ladyvol games makes all commentators look good. That guy must own the station or something, how does he stay on the air?
Yeah Mickey Dearstone. The worst thing about him is he ask Holly Warlick super easy softball leading questions. In postgame he definitely is bad.

VN Store

Back