5 reasons for concern with Chaney

Listening to the 247 Podcast on the Chaney hire, did not realize that his daughter attends UT. Also in years past, Chaney and his wife had agreed that Knoxville was the best place they had ever lived - and East TN was a likely retirement destination

Is English your primary language?
I reckon I got a little redneck in me cause I substituted was, for were. Is at aight? Forgive me, SIR, but you've got to get over yourself cause, ( Yes, I say cause instead of because) a majority of your posts are of you just trying to insult others. So get off your high horse, you narcissistic pompous terd

Last edited:
Reactions: SoddyAllVol
Every good program needs a backup plan. CWF is the safety net UT needs at this critical time.

He's our guardian angel - if we need him, he'll be there for us.
As an OL coach. We tried to tell you.

Writers love to get those clicks and looks like this article has succeeded big time.

Yes, thanks to its posting on boards like this.
Everybody with a keyboard and an interweb connection is an "expert" these days. Welcome to Modern Times.

I stopped reading after the fourth reason. Obviously an agenda based article. Never mention Georgia offered him a substantial raise to try and keep him. Also the micromanagement angle is built entirely off speculation.
In the age of the death of journalism, where reporters for major networks publish on a weekly basis baseless stuff that would have embarrassed the lowest staff writer at the Bucksnort Monthly Gazette thirty years ago, this article is a new low in total absence of journalistic integrity. The whole micromanagement thing goes beyond even speculation and is just wild conjecture based more than likely on third- or fifth-hand hearsay. Odds are high the writer was not present for even one strategy session between HC and Chaney at any of the mentioned schools; if such is the case, he's just making stuff up.

I would have preferred Freeze or Yurcich; that said, Chaney is a good hire. He has many years of experience; he has produced highly productive offenses at several stops. He also coached some QB named Brees but I'm sure the writer of this article has achievements compared to which this pales.

Reactions: Devo182
Certainly some reasonable concerns, except for the experience one.

Definitely hope Pruitt pushes him to innovate and go back to his spread roots.

We already knew he'd only succeed with talent, which isn't really a constraint you want your OC to have, but I think talent is coming and it should match up fine.

Lol when you have Todd Gurley, nick chubb, and the other slew of running backs you run the ball. You can call it predictable play calling but when you have those types of athletes predictability is a given. I'd run two downs in a row if I had those types of players but I guess that's a concern? 🤷‍♂️

Reactions: VFL1953
I'm sorry but it must be said again...What happened to journalism in this country? This is a fill article and nothing more...I've said it before...I have been married to a journalist for 42 years...she has written daily and weekly articles for newspapers, magazines, and wrote a book and co-authored one other. She said journalist always have fill articles ready to go when they need something to publish....I just see so much of this type stuff out there now. As far as the points made in this "article"...anyone could sit down in 10 minutes and develop 5 reasons to doubt any subject...I'm serious...just try it in your head now...its easy stuff...

Reactions: lifeisdeep
People forget our offenses when he was here? I didn't. I remember having an exciting offense while he was here. Yeah, the article points out how awful 2011 was, but before Hunter and Bray got hurt, that offense was doing really well.

Only played 3 scrubs, so hard to tell. UF was bad, as was UGA and Bray was there for both. UK, 7 points.

It's also on him to not have a backup even remotely able to play. SR Simms couldn't even out up double digits vs sec opponents. That is a concern if the playcaller requires talent that much. Just being honest.

But everyone knew Chaney was far from perfect. Theres a reason hoardes of teams arent fighting over him and only UT fans seem to have this like for him. But hes solid enough to help us back up. Maybe he'll then retire and we can get an elite OC to help us over the top.

I'm sorry but it must be said again...What happened to journalism in this country? This is a fill article and nothing more...I've said it before...I have been married to a journalist for 42 years...she has written daily and weekly articles for newspapers, magazines, and wrote a book and co-authored one other. She said journalist always have fill articles ready to go when they need something to publish....I just see so much of this type stuff out there now. As far as the points made in this "article"...anyone could sit down in 10 minutes and develop 5 reasons to doubt any subject...I'm serious...just try it in your head now...its easy stuff...

Chill guy, this is fansided. It is open about being fans writing about their team.

This is the internet, better learn how it works. You sound like the guy that gets on Twitter and starts replying to JiminyHyams and TonyBarnfart thinking they're real. Heres a tip when you log onto AOL and get chainmail - use Snopes.com. Peace.

Reactions: MustafaRasta
I've tried to say the same thing and I've gotten my head bit off every time. This is not a homerun hire and expectations should be drastically tempered.

People dont want to believe. To them the first Chaney go around was nothing but 2012 and the rest is too foggy to remember. He absolutely killed it at Pitt and Arky and his groundbreaking system will now lead us to new heights never before seen while Bama goes spread uptempo.

Blehhh new coach in 3 years with VN wondering what possibly couldve gone wrong with a defensive HC and conservative, ball control OC. That always works, look at LSU.

Reactions: Volfan76
What a joke of an article. They make it sound like Cheney cost Georgia the games against Bama. They didn’t lose those games because they couldn’t score. They lost because the defense choked both times and they got conservative late when they were ahead. That’s on the head coach all the way at GA. Plus there was that fake punt or something...don’t think Chemey called that one

Yeah im really not convinced that was all chaney going safe. That is often a macro plan organized and discussed with the HC at halftime. The real question is - will Pruitt be any different?

-Anyone who isn't a Tennessee fan (objectivity): "This article makes some pretty good points".

-Tennessee fans (subjectivity): "Garbage article".

It's always easy to be sensitive and defensive. But it's not that hard to be honest with oneself if one simply makes an attempt. Critique can be a great thing towards self-improvement. Or, it can make evident one's most insecure attributes.

Regardless of the article, I'm happy with the Chaney hire. Article does make some decent points, but not enough to alarm me or turn me against the hire.

Anyone else reminded of when Colin Cowherd made fun of what a joke Dooley was for his shower discipline session and all of VN bashing Cowherd as a hack....and then again when he called Butch Jones a gym teacher and ever-optimists went on the rampage?

Reactions: Devo182
Anyone else reminded of when Colin Cowherd made fun of what a joke Dooley was for his shower discipline session and all of VN bashing Cowherd as a hack....and then again when he called Butch Jones a gym teacher and ever-optimists went on the rampage?
speaking of dooley, apparently, there's at least some conversation of him coming to UGA as OC...and I'm actually not sure if that's all bad for UGA...seems hes done pretty well for Miz...but then again, he can be good to average in Miz for a few years and have a long career, but not the case at UGA.

Chill guy, this is fansided. It is open about being fans writing about their team.

This is the internet, better learn how it works. You sound like the guy that gets on Twitter and starts replying to JiminyHyams and TonyBarnfart thinking they're real. Heres a tip when you log onto AOL and get chainmail - use Snopes.com. Peace.
lol...thanks for the advice...my comments certainly apply to any so called journalist...and Snopes is so late 90's...and I sound like what guy? Never mind...

Certainly some reasonable concerns, except for the experience one.

Definitely hope Pruitt pushes him to innovate and go back to his spread roots.

We already knew he'd only succeed with talent, which isn't really a constraint you want your OC to have, but I think talent is coming and it should match up fine.
Dude, you're so full of crap with some of this stuff. Do you just pull this crap outta thin air? The "we" in your sentence should be "I believe", though you'd still be wrong. Please, please give us one example of anyone of consequence ever stating that "He'd only succeed with talent." Or some kind of proof to back up any of these absurd assertions that you come up with. Your overt bashing of the guy is getting old.

Chaney is a homerun and has been calling the offense for the past 3 years at a consistent Top 5 team in the country at a very high level.
Folks, I’m thankful for him and our staff at UT

Does that make Mike Locksley great? hint: he turrible.

The true indicator of an elite coach is having top offenses WITHOUT top 5 talent.

Regardless of the article, I'm happy with the Chaney hire. Article does make some decent points, but not enough to alarm me or turn me against the hire.

Agreed. It's crazy how insecure we are and can't recognize an ounce of self-criticism. It's weak sauce. But it shouldn't deter us from being happy with a solid, stable hire. If anything, it should make us more realistic and patient.

lol same stuff, new coach. Some never learn that sometimes the best views are not from within, but from the outside, unbiased viewers.

speaking of dooley, apparently, there's at least some conversation of him coming to UGA as OC...and I'm actually not sure if that's all bad for UGA...seems hes done pretty well for Miz...but then again, he can be good to average in Miz for a few years and have a long career, but not the case at UGA.

Coley already hired at UGA...

VN Store

Back