Give Fulmer some credit

Wasn't going to put forth the required effort to retain him. The idea that he didn't put any effort doesn't appear to accurate.

We'll never know the details of those contract discussions, but considering we payed Helton $1.2 million, and Chaney negotiated up $1.5 million, I think it's safe to say that Kirby, right or wrong, didn't believe Chaney was worth $1.5 million to keep.

We'll find out in 2019 which one, Pruitt or Smart, was correct in their evaluation.

I’m glad Texas didn’t want Rick Barnes anymore.

You know, its funny you mentioned that. I remember the feeling when TN landed Rick Barnes. I was like WOW! What a steal for TN. I used to live in TX and know how good Rick Barnes is. With that said, I have the same feeling with the Chaney hire.

We now have a defensive minded coach with a fantastic mind as an OC in Chaney. I'll go ahead and say it now, if they can recruit as good as they coach, and keep the staff together with no a lot of interruption, we will be competing for an SEC title within the next few years. Write that down!

He quietly gave Holly an extension also and he’s still the guy that made the mess in the first place.
No -Mike Hamilton and the administration made the mess , look at the history of what started in 2005 and move forward concerning who Hamilton wanted for head coach and couldn't get him.

Reactions: AM64
We'll never know the details of those contract discussions, but considering we payed Helton $1.2 million, and Chaney negotiated up $1.5 million, I think it's safe to say that Kirby, right or wrong, didn't believe Chaney was worth $1.5 million to keep.

We'll find out in 2019 which one, Pruitt or Smart, was correct in their evaluation.

Probably not. But the idea that Smart didn't make an attempt doesn't make sense either considering UT knew what UGA was paying him. Which was almost half of what UT signed him for. It could also be just as safe to say that Chaney was ready to move on as much if not more than Smart was ready to let him go. UGA fans won't tell you that, but it's just as likely. As I mentioned above, UGA has tangible evidence that Chaney was a success based on where they were and where he got the offense to. If you don't make an attempt at all to keep a guy like that, the next guy better be d@mn good.

Not really. UGA paid him 900K (+/-) to take make them better. He did that but it didn't statistically happen until the 2nd season and then another positive step albeit smaller in the 3rd season. If the first year was the sole indicator Chaney failed at UGA.
He's more than likely not gonna make a massive jump in the first season here either given the structure of the roster. 2019 more than likely won't answer that question for either coach. It could work out that both made good decisions.

Probably not. But the idea that Smart didn't make an attempt doesn't make sense either considering UT knew what UGA was paying him. Which was almost half of what UT signed him for. It could also be just as safe to say that Chaney was ready to move on as much if not more than Smart was ready to let him go. UGA fans won't tell you that, but it's just as likely. As I mentioned above, UGA has tangible evidence that Chaney was a success based on where they were and where he got the offense to. If you don't make an attempt at all to keep a guy like that, the next guy better be d@mn good.

Not really. UGA paid him 900K (+/-) to take make them better. He did that but it didn't statistically happen until the 2nd season and then another positive step albeit smaller in the 3rd season. If the first year was the sole indicator Chaney failed at UGA.
He's more than likely not gonna make a massive jump in the first season here either given the structure of the roster. 2019 more than likely won't answer that question for either coach. It could work out that both made good decisions.

Who said anything about a 'massive jump'? At some point, you have to start expecting improvement commensurate with pay from coaches getting paid literally millions of dollars a year to put a product on the field. Every season, we see other schools make hires that have immediate positive impacts on their performance, regardless of talent level, but for some reason, that' should be expected with the coaches that we hire? Especially given Chaney's history, why shouldn't we expect him to get more out of this offense than Helton?

“If you want to know how good a coach you are, just look at what you put on the field, because what you put on the field, that's yours, that's mine, that's ours. We've got to do a good job of getting these guys to play at their highest level all the time, and that all comes back to me."
-
Jeremy Pruitt

Who said anything about a 'massive jump'? At some point, you have to start expecting improvement commensurate with pay from coaches getting paid literally millions of dollars a year to put a product on the field. Every season, we see other schools make hires that have immediate positive impacts on their performance, regardless of talent level, but for some reason, that' should be expected with the coaches that we hire? Especially given Chaney's history, why shouldn't we expect him to get more out of this offense than Helton?

“If you want to know how good a coach you are, just look at what you put on the field, because what you put on the field, that's yours, that's mine, that's ours. We've got to do a good job of getting these guys to play at their highest level all the time, and that all comes back to me."
-
Jeremy Pruitt
That point was in reference to 2019 not being some groundbreaking indictment on whether Pruitt or Smart were right in their decisions. As I said, if year 1 is the sole indicator he failed at UGA.

Chaney didn't have an immediate positive impact at UGA. Chaney took over an offense at UGA where they ranked 85th the season prior scoring 26 points a game. His first season they finished 102nd and scored 24.5. That is a fact that can't be disputed.

Do you consider Chaney's stint (the entirety of it) at UGA successful?

-
Jeremy Pruitt
That's an excellent quote. And absolutely correct down to the last word.

He just finished 5-7. Dooley got fired after 5-7.

Why he's not getting fired for the same record is important for the same reasons Chaney's finished product at the end of 2019 is not the decider.

Big Phil walked into the worst situation I’ve seen in sec football in a while. After last years hiring protest, national news beating us down and an all around true dumpster fire of an athletic dept. Phil stepped up and grabbed what’s known around the sec as one of if not the best defensive mind in the league and a proven recruiter and winner at multiple schools. Time will tell how he ends up as a HC but our football program went from a train wreck to now being a stable program with an incredible staff. Recruiting is on the climb and all signs point to a bright future. He quietly got rick Barnes signed to a good contract and quietly poached a big time OC from the school dominating the east right now. He handled the search like a professional and since taking over has kept everything in house. I’m proud to have him back in control and I imagine coaches couldn’t imagine working for a better AD. Whatever your opinion is about anything I think we can all agree it’s a great feeling having Tennessee people running the program again. Thank you Phil 🙏🏻
poached? Damn son he backed up a truck full of money. That ain't 'poaching'.

Reactions: TennesseeTarheel

VN Store

Back