Cuonzo supporters put to rest

Is it so bad that many consider him a good coach and that he got mistreated by our fanbase a bit? Why is that hard for some to accept? I personally feel that Cuonzo is a much better man than Pearl who happens to be the better basketball coach. I also think Barnes is as good or better than both, as a man and a coach. Your post is just digging at old wounds, why can't a fan continue to believe and feel what they actually believe and feel as opposed to believing everything you believe and feel?
PulaskiVolFan, you’re one of my favorite posters on here. Your posts are always well reasoned and you don’t seem susceptible to group think

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan
From my memory, he underachieved with all that talent and the Cal fans were not upset when he left. Apparently he has about a three year shelf life.

Yeah but I don't think Cal has that much of a fanbase, relatively speaking.

I was a CM supporter and still think he is a very good coach. We are just the better team. Glad we have Barnes, but don't think anybody should be trying to make CM seem bad.

Here's the thing with Cuonzo: He dumped us. He wasn't fired. He voluntarily blew out of Knoxville. That's sacrilege to us tried and true Big Orange fans. We'd never do that. This puts him in Lane Kiffin territory.

For that reason it's fun to see that we're better off without him and that the grass wasn't necessarily greener. That's not to say Cuonzo was a bad coach or that he didn't do a really good job here given the dire circumstances he inherited. But he left us. I'm not ashamed to admit that I greatly enjoyed slapping him around last night a little more given that fact.

Reactions: LibertyVol
Here's the thing with Cuonzo: He dumped us. He wasn't fired. He voluntarily blew out of Knoxville. That's sacrilege to us tried and true Big Orange fans. We'd never do that. This puts him in Lane Kiffin territory.

For that reason it's fun to see that we're better off without him and that the grass wasn't necessarily greener. That's not to say Cuonzo was a bad coach or that he didn't do a really good job here given the dire circumstances he inherited. But he left us. I'm not ashamed to admit that I greatly enjoyed slapping him around last night a little more given that fact.
I'm pretty sure most fans dumped him before he left...

He may have been able to have a good run here, but it worked out for the best minus us replacing him with Tyndall.

PulaskiVolFan, you’re one of my favorite posters on here. Your posts are always well reasoned and you don’t seem susceptible to group think
giphy.gif

Agree with most of your post, but "outstanding" recruiter?
Yes--outstanding recruiter. Josh Richardson, Jarnell Stokes, Tobias Harris and Robert Hubbs. Three of the highest rated Vol recruits of the last 10 years and a real gem in Richardson. And, he recruited great for Cal and Miz.

Yes--outstanding recruiter. Josh Richardson, Jarnell Stokes, Tobias Harris and Robert Hubbs. Three of the highest rated Vol recruits of the last 10 years and a real gem in Richardson. And, he recruited great for Cal and Miz.
Tobias was a Pearl recruit, if I remember correctly.

Reactions: wmcovol

Harris played for Pearl. And I'll give him credit for Stokes but I'm pretty sure Pearl recruited him pretty heavy.

Uh, he “dumped” us because our fans started a freaking petition to get him fired. Or at least that’s the way it played.

Two things can be true at the same time! Martin got a raw deal from Vol fans AND he’s not that great a coach.

Harris played for Pearl. And I'll give him credit for Stokes but I'm pretty sure Pearl recruited him pretty heavy.
Yep, Pearl had Stokes in the bag before his dismissal. Stokes is on record saying he had eliminated Tennessee afterwards and accidentally answered a call from Zo, unintentionally. From there, a relationship formed, and Tennessee had room to take him midyear when he was ruled ineligible by the TSSAA his senior year.

Reactions: sport3500
Did you see those kids he got out there at Cal? He also got the Porter brothers to Mizzou. Don’t forget some the guys here of course. Outstanding is subjective but he was a good recruiter.
He hired a shady recruiter at Cal and then hired the Porter boys’ dad. I wouldn’t call that good recruiting. Everyone was talking about them skyrocketing back. Nope. I don’t even think Cuonzo is a good guy. I think he’s a Dick.

I'm pretty sure most fans dumped him before he left...

He may have been able to have a good run here, but it worked out for the best minus us replacing him with Tyndall.

He wasnt going to have a good run here judging by the careers of the guys he had committed and on campus when he left.... He would have been fired the next season.....I loved watching us spank him by 24.

CCM will always be part of VOL history and that's a good thing. Unlike Pearl or Donnie T. he did nothing to embarrass UT and he remains an upstanding coach and man.
Hard to imagine how that can cause such pain for you LAVOL "put to rest the few remaining Cuonzo supporters among Vol fans."?
Seems to me you're the one who needs to put it to rest. CCM is gone from UT and whatever his admirers might think is of no consequence to anyone but you it seems. So NO you are wrong - I will always be a Cuonzo supporter who knows he came in at a tough time - did his job the right way - and was poorly treated by a number of "fans" who couldn't get over the fact he wasn't Pearl.
I am glad he came - sorry he is vilified - happy he is gone - but his record as Head Coach of the Vols will never go away.
Why don't you give it a rest and move on - I have along with most of the fan base. Why try to dump on a guy who no longer has any impact on our team and players?

Reactions: Lurker
Cuonzo doesn't seem like a good match for the SEC or PAC12. A mid-major or even the Big 10 seem to be more his style.

I like Purdue, therefore I like Cuonzo. He gets his guys to play solid defense. They appear to be student-athletes of high character. Glad he's not TN's coach though. Not a good fit.

This is the last comment (at least this year) regarding Kawanzo....I don't think ESPN mic'ing him up was the best idea

Reactions: OneVolNation
No slight intended to the man, but right now, he's not really relevant to the path before us in any way that merits attention or discussion.

CCM will always be part of VOL history and that's a good thing. Unlike Pearl or Donnie T. he did nothing to embarrass UT and he remains an upstanding coach and man.
Hard to imagine how that can cause such pain for you LAVOL "put to rest the few remaining Cuonzo supporters among Vol fans."?
Seems to me you're the one who needs to put it to rest. CCM is gone from UT and whatever his admirers might think is of no consequence to anyone but you it seems. So NO you are wrong - I will always be a Cuonzo supporter who knows he came in at a tough time - did his job the right way - and was poorly treated by a number of "fans" who couldn't get over the fact he wasn't Pearl.
I am glad he came - sorry he is vilified - happy he is gone - but his record as Head Coach of the Vols will never go away.
Why don't you give it a rest and move on - I have along with most of the fan base. Why try to dump on a guy who no longer has any impact on our team and players?
Think we make the NIT this season?

VN Store

Back