Is this the best Tennessee basketball team ever?

Hands down, the best and deepest team we have ever had...
Williams, Schofield, Bowden, Bone, Alexander, Turner all have the ability to score 20+
Bone is the best point guard to suit up for Tennessee. Sure, Mizzou was checked out at the end, but the no look dime to Schofield for the dunk is a standard play for him.
Numbers don't lie, look up the stats and go through the Pearl teams for comparison.

I will savor each game this year because it is special to watch a TEAM play like this.

Reactions: the_great_pumpkin
It's a given that we've had better talent, but I don't think watching for 50 years I've seen a team that can make on the fly adjustments like this team does. IQ is through the roof and not just one or 2 players. The maturity and ability to raise the game when something bad happens is something I don't remember.
No offense, but nobody could stop King. And there ain't nobody alive today that could stop King in his prime.
The Ernie, Bernie and Jackson show was not too shabby.

Reactions: LibertyVol
It's the best vols squad I've watched in my 30 years on earth without question.

I saw the Erie and Bernie days. This is the first Tennessee team since then that I think may have a chance to win against them on a regular basis. This team just has too much depth and has too good a starting five.

No offense, but nobody could stop King. And there ain't nobody alive today that could stop King in his prime.

This is very true.Once King came in determined you were losing, you did. No other way to explain his record against Kentucky who had a much better team but no one that was as good as King.

Reactions: LibertyVol
Best TN team we’ve had in this era. The player development has been the best in the country!

Let's wait until the end of the season to decide if it's the best UT team ever, but they are an excellent passing team, and a very disciplined defensive team.

The team with Chris Lofton when we beat Memphis, to me is or was better,but not by much.I like the way this team plays together and seem to not care who does the scoring.Just win Baby!

This is the first truly championship-level squad we have put on the floor in decades, if ever. Some of Bruce Pearl teams were elite, but they lacked discipline—jacking up inadvertent threes from half court. This team’s unselfishness and conhesiveness reminds me of a Greg Popovich coached Spurs team.
They also gave up a lot of layups by running that full press bull crap.

The only weakness on this team is allegedly 3 point shooting and they are currently tied for 5th in the SEC in that category. And the beauty of it is, is we don’t even heavily rely on the 3. This team is as solid top to bottom and as consistent as any Tennessee team I can remember.

It's a given that we've had better talent, but I don't think watching for 50 years I've seen a team that can make on the fly adjustments like this team does. IQ is through the roof and not just one or 2 players. The maturity and ability to raise the game when something bad happens is something I don't remember.

I have been watching well over 40 years. This is the best roster top to bottom we have ever had. We may not get past E8, but this is a Championship caliber team very similar to Virginia.

Reactions: StrangeVol
Yes, and it's not even close. The way this team scores is truly phenomenal. D and rebounding could improve, but honestly neither is bad by any stretch.
I would disagree that it's not even close. If you've been around 120 years like me, you've seen a lot. No one matches Bernard King talent-wise, but I begrudgingly told myself that the mid-seventies have been replaced by this Tennessee team as the best ever. There is one caveat, and that is we are not quite to the midway point of the season, and stranger things have happened in the sporting world, but pending some kind of cateclysmic collapse, I'm on board that this is the best team to ever don the jerseys at the University of Tennessee.

The only weakness on this team is allegedly 3 point shooting and they are currently tied for 5th in the SEC in that category. And the beauty of it is, is we don’t even heavily rely on the 3. This team is as solid top to bottom and as consistent as any Tennessee team I can remember.

Not having Turner has hurt this team in at least a couple of ways: 3 pt shooting and on ball defense. If Turner and Schofield get hot at the same time it will be something to watch.

Statistically they're the best team in Tennessee history. Right now they average 86.4 points/game. The only team in school history ahead of them was Bernard and Ernies first year together, 86.6. However, this team gives up only 65 points per game, that team gave up 75.5. Further, Ernie and Bernie never made it past the first round in the post season. This team has already accomplished that feat.

Now, Bernard King averaged, as a freshman, for a whole season, a double double. That's impressive, and he and Bernie both averaged 20+ points all three years they played together, so you can't take away anything from those Mears' teams...but at this point in the season, these kids are right there with two Legends...to me there is no doubt who the better TEAM is, and one could argue that team is doing it with less.

Reactions: StrangeVol
Statistically they're the best team in Tennessee history. Right now they average 86.4 points/game. The only team in school history ahead of them was Bernard and Ernies first year together, 86.6. However, this team gives up only 65 points per game, that team gave up 75.5. Further, Ernie and Bernie never made it past the first round in the post season. This team has already accomplished that feat.

Now, Bernard King averaged, as a freshman, for a whole season, a double double. That's impressive, and he and Bernie both averaged 20+ points all three years they played together, so you can't take away anything from those Mears' teams...but at this point in the season, these kids are right there with two Legends...to me there is no doubt who the better TEAM is, and one could argue that team is doing it with less.

Good post! This team is much deeper than the E & B teams. Also, E & B did it without 3 pt shooting and lots of "slow down" play from the other teams which makes that 86.6 even more impressive.

I’m enjoying the ride. I’ll be rewatching replays of this team years down the road and appreciating.

Good post! This team is much deeper than the E & B teams. Also, E & B did it without 3 pt shooting and lots of "slow down" play from the other teams which makes that 86.6 even more impressive.

That's a great point.

Man, I absolutely hated the 4 corners, that UNC used to run. The shot clock in college basketball saved fans from that bullsh!t

VN Store

Back