Pruitt announces Jim Chaney hired as OC

It’s pretty obvious Chaney was recruited over at UGA.
How is this "pretty obvious" before they have even hired his replacement? And what control did they have over Tennessee making Chaney an offer? What if we had hired Yurcich? Are you saying that it's obvious that they would have fired Chaney? Dumb.

It's already been reported that Freeze would be cleared to coach in the SEC. If Kingsberry were paid the money Chaney was, that might be a different story. Yes, I'm sure Briles passed up half a million dollars a year to go coach with Taggart who is on the hot seat after 1 year. Solid argument. :rolleyes:
The how come AU did not hire him and Saban?

As a Purdue fan, I'm extremely happy. I'll always have bias towards the guy as he ran a solid offense from their first year until he left for the NFL. Yeah they were top of the charts offense with Brees, sure, but even during their "pedestrian" times the year before and the year after, Purdue always was near the top. They just never had the size to compete with the bigger teams, especially on defense. I liked his time while he was here too... as offense was never really the problem. I can't say he's the "best" hire, but I can, with nearly 100% certainty, say that it will be far better than anything Jones or Helton came up with over the past 6 though. 1.5 million a year better? Not sure on that, but it will definitely be improved.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
Then there's the stress of being a coordinator on any level within the SEC, not to mention a P5 program. I fear something sooner or later is going to break.
I wrestled with this thought about him, as well. As someone who worked a high stress/low physical job in which I allowed myself to develop metabolic syndrome, I am acutely aware how much your life improves when you drop the weight. I lost 80 pounds and my joints certainly approve. I have even gotten second looks from girls for the first time in twenty years. For the sake of HIS health, I pray that CJC has a positive influence in that direction.

You have to remember that in both '16 and '17 Chaney was working with a true freshman QB. I've always thought that was the reason they were so conservative. Now, in 2018 they remained just as conservative which leaves some valid criticism for Chaney, I suppose... and yet the only loss I would blame on the offense was Texas - they waited too long to go with a hurry up. Against LSU, their defensive line was thoroughly whipped and they would have beaten Bama if not for Rodrigo Blankenship's missed field goal... and the fake punt. Chaney called a good game.
The LSU loss was on Chaney. He recently admitted that he had a bad game. LSU’s DC was excellent at pre-snap disguise of the defense, which fooled Fromm. Conversely, we were crushing them with the run. Chaney inexplicably abandoned the run. It spiraled from there.

I wish Chaney success at UT, except against us. He’s a good guy that landed a nice contract. I don’t think he is an elite recruiter as some here have said, he candidly rarely goes on recruiting visits. However, he runs a solid offense and helped UGA to a couple good seasons.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
This is a fantastic hire. More importantly Chaney will bring a ton of stability to an offense that has had no stability for years. Right now - the offense does not have to be great. Chaney can be average and with continuity and stability the offense should grow and get better each year. Great start to 2019
You cant say "ton" in a sentence about Chaney!

Reactions: Thorp32
Isn’t the whole point of this message board to provide unsolicited input and opinions?
Sure but your post has little to no input and your opinion was nothing more than uneducated criticism of this guys struggle with weight....pointless, but that’s just my input and opinion.

The LSU loss was on Chaney. He recently admitted that he had a bad game. LSU’s DC was excellent at pre-snap disguise of the defense, which fooled Fromm. Conversely, we were crushing them with the run. Chaney inexplicably abandoned the run. It spiraled from there.

I wish Chaney success at UT, except against us. He’s a good guy that landed a nice contract. I don’t think he is an elite recruiter as some here have said, he candidly rarely goes on recruiting visits. However, he runs a solid offense and helped UGA to a couple good seasons.
That seems a little harsh. At the very least, there was plenty of blame to go around. LSU rushed for 275 yards and 3 TD's vs Georgia. That same LSU offense was shut out by Alabama a month later.

Rotflamo. Are you 15? I said Chaney was a good coach and would do well at UT. UGA isn't desperate enough to pay a good OC $1.5 M. I'm sorry your feelings are hurt so easily.
My feelings arent hurt scooter, but I am calling out your flatout BS scenario that Kirby, UGA, Jesus, could have blocked Chaney from making a lateral move to any job on the planet.

How many of them didn’t sign?
UGA only had 2 5*s on offense and Webb is enrolled and Dominick blaylock has signed. Broderick jones is a 5* OT for the 2020 class, so Cheney probably has a relationship with him, though Pittman would be the lead recruiter. I think plumlee is our only recruit on offense that hasn’t signed yet, and last I heard UGA wants him to blue shirt.

If we have that kind of money to spend, we could have gotten a better ROI, therefore, people got away. As I said his offense was ranked 18th with an offense full of 5 star recruits....we don't have a offense full of 5 stars. As far as who passed by...Freeze, Yurich, Briles, and Kingsbury are all better OCs than Chaney.
Unfortunately for you, you had no say in the matter. It appears that the ones actually doing the hiring felt that this was the OC that fit their plans the best. The salary they gave him shows they were determined to get him. No one on this board (as far as I know) will ever know which of the infinite number of candidates were interviewed or offered. We will never know whether we passed on them or they passed on us. Most of your arguments are baseless and have no facts to validate them.

Maybe a better comparison would Be Chaney and Locksley. Or Chaney and Jeff Scott. Comparing Helton is an apple and bowling ball comparison (no pun intended). I don't expect that $1.X million bought us much to be honest.
Honest question with no hostility, but who do you think we could've landed that was a better OC?

They didn't lose because of the play calling, but it didn't help for sure. Completely abandoned the run for some unknown reason, I didn't even want to look when Holyfield got the ball.... before you knew it in the second quarter they just completely stopped running even though they were getting 5-8 yards a carry, Holyfield in particular looked great, yet he only touched it like 7 times.

VN Store

Back